News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 13, 2012, 12:01:12 AM
The one thing I hate about the NJ plate is that, to me, the color is extremely reminiscent of pee...

It is one of the state colors, Buff. same basic color as the state flag.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

route56

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 11, 2012, 03:18:46 PM
Now the new "sports" series

Steve A., you planning to get one of these ;) If not, I'm sure Danno would want one.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 14, 2012, 04:04:03 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 13, 2012, 12:01:12 AM
The one thing I hate about the NJ plate is that, to me, the color is extremely reminiscent of pee...

It is one of the state colors, Buff. same basic color as the state flag.

I actually liked the old (very old) NJ plates - where New Jersey was spelled as "N J".  The buff color on those was very similar to the type of buff/beige that early 70's GM cars, such as the Buick Skylark, offered.  Simple yet elegant. 

The newer ones try to be fancy with the color being more "vibrant" and fading from top to bottom.  In the end, they end up being the color of pee.  The classic plates didn't look like that.

realjd

Apparently the plan for Florida to update their plates was a thinly veiled attempt to privatize the manufacturing and distribution of license plates in our state; knowing our governor, I'm sure the contract was going to go no-bid to a company he part owns or to a buddy's company. The local county tax collectors found out and complained enough that they're putting the plan on hold for now.

http://www.floridatoday.com/viewart/20121024/NEWS01/310240017/Florida-puts-brakes-license-plate-plan?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

formulanone

Quote from: realjd on October 24, 2012, 07:59:40 AM
Apparently the plan for Florida to update their plates was a thinly veiled attempt to privatize the manufacturing and distribution of license plates in our state; knowing our governor, I'm sure the contract was going to go no-bid to a company he part owns or to a buddy's company. The local county tax collectors found out and complained enough that they're putting the plan on hold for now.

I don't buy the statement of "saving money"; you can't get any cheaper labor than local inmates (they generally want to work, and get paid very minimally)...Win-win.

So, this is how Rick Scott gets people back to work. How's that coming along?

Alex

Voting begins for new Florida license plate design

In my opinion all four choices are bland and the switch to flat lettering garners a huge :thumbdown: Can we have a "none of the above, try something else" option?

Can we drop the orange already too? So many of the orange groves are now cookie cutter subdivisions anyway. Maybe we could just have a House silhouette for the letter A instead of a cross-section of an orange.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CentralCAroadgeek

So after the online poll for the new Florida license plates, this was the result.

The winner was the plain "green bars" plate. It is expected to start production in 2014.

SidS1045

The News-Press article noted:  "The Florida Department of Motor Vehicles wants to replace the existing standard plates, calling them difficult for red light and toll booth cameras to read. That's because they have raised lettering and an image of oranges and orange blossoms in the middle of each tag, and characters such as V and Y, B and 8, 5 and S and Q and O get confused."

Simple solution:  Use the German license plate font.  From Wikipedia:

"Modern German plates use a typeface called FE-Schrift ("fälschungserschwerende Schrift", tamper-hindering script). It is designed so that the O cannot be painted to look like a Q, and vice versa; nor can the P be painted to resemble an R, among other changes. This typeface can also more easily be read by optical character recognition software for automatic number plate recognition than the old DIN 1451 script."

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 11, 2012, 11:09:07 AM
Indiana is unveiling its new license plate for the next five years.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20121011/NEWS07/121019915

It's a design celebrating the bicentennial of Indiana.
The color scheme, particularly the lower-part, looks too similar to PA's current plates.

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on October 11, 2012, 09:34:31 AMHowever, flat plates are - on the whole - NOT as legible as the stamped plates are.  At the wrong angle, light can be reflected off of the plate, rendering it illegible.  Furthermore, bends in the plate can have the same effect.   Although they are just as easily read from directly behind as embossed plates, it's the angles that are a problem.  They're also easier to cover up or alter. 

All in all, this rush to cheap-o flat plates is a big mistake.  There were excellent reasons why license plates have been embossed for the past 75+ years.  Because it works.
Tell that to Delaware, they've been using flat plates for decades.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kphoger

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 19, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

I have a feeling most of us could agree on another solution....  ;-)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2012, 04:29:09 PM

not use "O" and "I"?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Personally, I'd look forward to seeing U.S. license plates with umlauted vowels.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Doctor Whom

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on December 20, 2012, 05:09:38 PMPersonally, I'd look forward to seeing U.S. license plates with umlauted vowels.
Heavy-metal fans would have a field day ordering vanity tags.

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Alps

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on December 20, 2012, 05:09:38 PM

Personally, I'd look forward to seeing U.S. license plates with umlauted vowels.

Ã,,LPSRDÅ 

kphoger

Not at ALL what I was thinking.....  :-D
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

For California plate geeks: non-commercial auto series is going to turn over fairly soon, to 7xxxnnn. We drove a 6YNSnnn loaner car down to LA a few weeks ago. Haven't seen a 6Z yet.

(I'm still driving a late 4 (2002) while our corporate parking lot is mostly 6's)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Dr Frankenstein

MÖTLCRÜ

Pronounced Muhtley Creuh. Actually, more like a French U at the end, the one that most English speakers are unable to pronounce. So much for bands with gratuitious umlauts in their names.

agentsteel53

YNS beats the highest I've seen: YNC.  I'm always on the lookout for this kind of thing.

in a related bit, I managed to photograph 2014 registration sticker number 408.  the second one I spotted was number 2xxxx.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 21, 2012, 12:10:38 PM
MÖTLCRÜ

Pronounced Muhtley Creuh. Actually, more like a French U at the end, the one that most English speakers are unable to pronounce.
It's actually easy. Make your mouth like an EEEEE and then try to say OOOO with it.

Road Hog

That reminds me of a story I heard. When Motley Crue was touring Europe when they debuted, they were in Germany and the crowd was chanting, roughly, "Mertley Cree! Mertley Cree!"

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on December 21, 2012, 04:26:24 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 21, 2012, 12:10:38 PM
MÖTLCRÜ

Pronounced Muhtley Creuh. Actually, more like a French U at the end, the one that most English speakers are unable to pronounce.
It's actually easy. Make your mouth like an EEEEE and then try to say OOOO with it.

I always do the opposite:  shape my mouth like OO but say the sound EE.  Interesting....
Male pronouns, please.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 19, 2012, 04:21:23 PM
Tell that to Delaware, they've been using flat plates for decades.

Ummmm, that one tiny state (which has long had lackluster license plates to go with its lackluster scenery) has done this for decades does not mean that their way is better than what everyone else has been doing for decades.  The laws of physics are what they are and light shining from certain angles will still cause more glare from a flat plate than it would from an embossed plate.   

Flat = cheap.  And you get what you pay for. 

jwolfer

Quote from: Alex on December 03, 2012, 04:23:00 PM
Voting begins for new Florida license plate design

In my opinion all four choices are bland and the switch to flat lettering garners a huge :thumbdown: Can we have a "none of the above, try something else" option?

Can we drop the orange already too? So many of the orange groves are now cookie cutter subdivisions anyway. Maybe we could just have a House silhouette for the letter A instead of a cross-section of an orange.

I'm gonna miss the county names. Florida has had county identifiers since at least the 1930s.  People don't like the county showing where they are from, but many of the same people paranoid for privacy will keep dealer advertisements, have stickers with their kids name and what ever sport the kid plays, stick figures shwoign the number of people and pets in the family etc... Not to mention if someone wants to find you, its not too difficult to find you based on the tag number.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.