News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

6a

Quote from: vtk on April 15, 2013, 09:45:41 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 15, 2013, 09:35:20 PM
Quote from: stormwatch7721 on April 15, 2013, 09:29:45 PM
Is that a sticker on the left that has the county name, 6a?

yep.  Franklin County.  not sure how that came to be County #25 in the official registry.  Alphabetical?

Alphabetical it is.  Also, now we know 6a's birthday.  (Or, at least, the birthday of whoever owns that car...)

Also also, I noticed the 8 is misaligned.

Now I expect presents...

vdeane

So if you live in a state with birthday expiration, does that mean that if you register a car the day before your birthday, you pay the full fee for one day?  :-o How is that in any way equitable?  If you register on any day other than your birthday, you get penalized, not to mention revealing identifying information to anyone who happens to pass by your car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

vtk

I think you can get a 13-month registration for that purpose, or a pro-rated registration for the remainder of the year (if it's less than 6 months), or just register for the year that starts on your next (soon-upcoming) birthday and don't drive till then... One of those is probably true, but I find it difficult to remember BMV rules.

Or, much more commonly, you've just sold a car, and you can transfer the plates and registration for that one to the car you just bought.

I heard once that decades ago, vehicle registration was done in either June or December, depending on which half of the alphabet your last name was in.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on April 16, 2013, 10:25:10 AM
I think you can get a 13-month registration for that purpose, or a pro-rated registration for the remainder of the year (if it's less than 6 months), or just register for the year that starts on your next (soon-upcoming) birthday and don't drive till then... One of those is probably true, but I find it difficult to remember BMV rules.

Or, much more commonly, you've just sold a car, and you can transfer the plates and registration for that one to the car you just bought.

I heard once that decades ago, vehicle registration was done in either June or December, depending on which half of the alphabet your last name was in.

what is the advantage of the birthday system, over the system used in many other states, where the registration is set to the purchase date of a new car, or a car brought in from out of state and immediately sold?  (that's how CA does it.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Well, the DMV already has my birthday of file; everything else might change–vehicle info, address, phone number–but my birthday will stay the same.  Plus, I see a logical connection in states where the plate stays with the person, not the car:  one's birthday is more logically related to the person himself, whereas the purchase date is more logically related to the vehicle.

Who knows...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tdindy88

Kind of odd, but my plate actually has the date listed as being one day off from my own birthday (they only mark the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of each month) but that is merely a coincidence.

Scott5114

You're also more likely to remember to renew your plate if it comes on your birthday/end of your birth month. My car's tag expires in November, somehow, which has nothing to do with either when I bought it or when my birthday is (my guess is that it was originally plated in November).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

Ohio sends out renewal reminders about 90 days in advance.  And I still managed to forget to renew my registration last year until it was 5 months overdue and I got pulled over for it...

thenetwork

Doesn't Ohio offer the owner the option to buy a 1 OR 2-year sticker renewal??

Anybody know the breakdown of states that do flat, jurisdictional rates for license plates vs. states which charge rates based on age &/or weight of the vehicle?

I know Ohio is jurisdictional - based (when I used to live there, the annual renewal rate in the city where I resided was $45/yr), while Colorado is age & weight-based.  (Paid damn near $425 for my current car's first year plate, now down to about $250).

djsinco

Quote from: thenetwork on April 16, 2013, 08:27:05 PM
Doesn't Ohio offer the owner the option to buy a 1 OR 2-year sticker renewal??

Anybody know the breakdown of states that do flat, jurisdictional rates for license plates vs. states which charge rates based on age &/or weight of the vehicle?

I know Ohio is jurisdictional - based (when I used to live there, the annual renewal rate in the city where I resided was $45/yr), while Colorado is age & weight-based.  (Paid damn near $425 for my current car's first year plate, now down to about $250).

Actually, passenger car registration in CO is based upon current value. This is determined by DMV using their own arbitrary reference manual. If you buy a brand new $100,000 Mercedes, the initial year registration will cost (for example) $4,000.00 or so. The following years renewal it will drop to (again, my number for illustration purposes,) $2,800.00. Similar to a depreciation table, over the course of 5-7 years, (as far as I can guess,) the fee will eventually level off to say, $500.00 or so.

I believe weight is only a factor in truck licensing. CO is an expensive state for vehicle registration, however, it is considered a property tax and is thus deductible...

3 million miles and counting

thenetwork

Quote from: djsinco on April 16, 2013, 08:54:58 PM

Actually, passenger car registration in CO is based upon current value. This is determined by DMV using their own arbitrary reference manual. If you buy a brand new $100,000 Mercedes, the initial year registration will cost (for example) $4,000.00 or so. The following years renewal it will drop to (again, my number for illustration purposes,) $2,800.00. Similar to a depreciation table, over the course of 5-7 years, (as far as I can guess,) the fee will eventually level off to say, $500.00 or so.

I believe weight is only a factor in truck licensing. CO is an expensive state for vehicle registration, however, it is considered a property tax and is thus deductible...

That's why I hate plate renewals here in CO -- you can never predict how much your tags will cost from year to year...

...which also can explain why there are a lot of people still driving 60's-70's era VW Bugs in Colorado. ;-)

agentsteel53

the fee levels off to 500?

damn, and I thought California had ornery high prices; but my registration renewal was $83 last year.

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Yes, Ohio offers 2-year vehicle registration, I think that's a relatively recent offering.

And the birthday of the owner is revealed by looking at the expiration date on the registration sticker; it's the same date.

thenetwork

Colorado is now up to ZSA-400.  They are about ready to go back to AAA-000 and reissue plate numbers that are inactive, at least that's what I thought what I heard here a while back.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: thenetwork on April 17, 2013, 12:26:07 AM
Colorado is now up to ZSA-400.  They are about ready to go back to AAA-000 and reissue plate numbers that are inactive, at least that's what I thought what I heard here a while back.
According to License Plate News, CO will issue plates with "Q" (AQA, QAQ, etc.) in any position after 999-ZZZ is reached.

agentsteel53

why are they so reluctant to go to 7 digits?  Massachusetts is, as well.  a new set of dies and gears can be had for a couple thousand dollars.  probably less expensive than poring through the records to see which plates are unused, and then manually setting the press every time.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on April 16, 2013, 08:12:51 PM
Ohio sends out renewal reminders about 90 days in advance.  And I still managed to forget to renew my registration last year until it was 5 months overdue and I got pulled over for it...

The Illinois Secretary of State does the same thing.  Yet, some people are still oblivious.

Of course, there's also the municipal vehicle tax stickers for your windshield if your municipality has such a vehicle tax (mine does not).  That's on a different date set by the municipality's fiscal year.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

vtk

Ohio allows municipalities to add a tax up to $20 annually which is paid at the same time as vehicle registration.

jwolfer

Quote from: vdeane on April 16, 2013, 10:03:57 AM
So if you live in a state with birthday expiration, does that mean that if you register a car the day before your birthday, you pay the full fee for one day?  :-o How is that in any way equitable?  If you register on any day other than your birthday, you get penalized, not to mention revealing identifying information to anyone who happens to pass by your car.

It is prorated.  If someone really wants to get all your personal information you all they have to do it get your tag number, its not that difficult to find a way to look it up.  Here is Florida some people do not like having the county name on their tag, because they dont want people knowing where they live.  Then they will put the annoying stick figure families or their kids sports along with the name.  Not to mention bumper stickers with whatever they are into.  ( Soon however we will no longer have the county name.)

Before the birthday expiration came into play in Florida, all tags expired on June 30 so it was crazy in the County Tax Collectors office at the end of June.  I have my wifes grandfathers tags from Indiana from 1960 until he stopped driving in 2005.  It is interesting to see how the tags changed every year.  Same in Florida. New design/color scheme at every reissue

agentsteel53

Quote from: jwolfer on April 17, 2013, 06:15:57 PMThen they will put the annoying stick figure families or their kids sports along with the name.

and don't forget "my sweetie poo is a shiny whiny super-starrific meteor boiler rocket propelled vomitus at McAlanlandford School for the Easily Indoctrinated"

jake@aaroads.com

route56

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on April 15, 2013, 09:38:33 PM
Thanks for the answer, agentsteel53. I don't remember Ohio nor any other state doing sticker-based counties.

Kansas has had a county code sticker for 25 years now....

Also, in Kansas, the registration expires based on your last name. For instance, as my last name begins with "K," my tags expire on July 31.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 17, 2013, 12:53:47 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on April 17, 2013, 12:26:07 AM
According to License Plate News, CO will issue plates with "Q" (AQA, QAQ, etc.) in any position after 999-ZZZ is reached.
According to licenseplates.cc, the next round of in Colorado will be nnn-XXQ, then nnn-XQX, finally nnn-QXX (if you follow my wildcards). Then they will issue available combinations in the AAA-nnn and following series. I have seen as low as xxx-ZZV on a special issue (i.e., flat) plate. My new car was issued a ZDW- plate this month. I am curious to see the "Q", since not using it up until now is because the state was not confident it could be distinguished from O.
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 17, 2013, 12:42:56 PM
why are they so reluctant to go to 7 digits?  Massachusetts is, as well.  a new set of dies and gears can be had for a couple thousand dollars.  probably less expensive than poring through the records to see which plates are unused, and then manually setting the press every time.
I presume you mean Colorado? They need to stay with a six-character plate because, first, the current scheme uses the same pool of combinations for all plates, and special issue plates have a logo in the center representing the topic of the special issue; and second, non-auto or truck plates are generally issued a plate with a stacked code (like TRL or FLT) in the first position. Neither of these could be accommodated with seven characters. And, because all letters including I and O (and soon Q) are used in all positions in the letter sequence, using a mixed letter/number sequence would restrict where those potentially ambiguous letters could be used. So, thankfully, no Missouri-type scrambled sequences.

The existing ABC-123 type plates were first issued in the mid-1980s, and there aren't very many left. Also, I can't speak for areas like Denver, but in Pueblo County the letter combinations used for ABC-123 sequence plates were not duplicated when the state went to ABC-1234 sequence plates. So, if this is true throughout the state, then there are a number of three-letter sequences available to use without potential duplication. Otherwise, will the state look for individual existing plates that would be duplicated in the new sequence and pull them, or will they avoid all three-letter sequences potentially still in use with three numbers? Or, wait until the plates reach the county offices and then the counties won't issue individual plates because of an existing duplication?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

agentsteel53

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 17, 2013, 10:08:51 PMwhen the state went to ABC-1234 sequence plates

so Colorado has used 7 digit plates ... and they went back?

jake@aaroads.com

djsinco

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 17, 2013, 10:18:43 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 17, 2013, 10:08:51 PMwhen the state went to ABC-1234 sequence plates

so Colorado has used 7 digit plates ... and they went back?

That is correct, we went from 7 to 6. This is a backwards state in so many ways. In the 1980's, I had a CO plate (similar to) SJH-3119. Now it is something like 622-PGH.
I also remember that they started the current cycle right around the Y2K era. Early in 2000, I saw new plates with AAA-105, etc...
3 million miles and counting

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.