2021 West Irondequoit Road Meet - September 25, 2021

Started by cl94, April 01, 2021, 10:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

I'd like to take advantage of this important day to announce the 2021 West Irondequoit Road Meet, which will take place in beautiful West Irondequoit, NY on September 25 of this year.

The official meet location will be the McDonald's at 657 East Ridge Road (corner of Hudson Avenue). Depending on crowd size, we may get takeout and move to the Walmart parking lot across the street. If that is the case, you're welcome to get food from any of the wonderful local restaurants, including Burger King, Popeyes, Wendy's, and Sonic.

The stops on this meet will include the best of what beautiful Irondequoit has to offer, including...
- The Veterans Memorial Bridge and Irondequoit Bay Bridge along NY 104
- The Irondequoit Bay Swing Bridge and lighthouse
- The Colonel Patrick O'Rorke Memorial Bridge. Maybe, just maybe, we can get them to open it for us!
- Every ramp of the NY 104 / NY 590 interchange!
- If people want, maybe we can have a stop at the Seneca Park Zoo

We'll have a lot of fun activities packed into the day, so it might run a bit long. But I think that'll be okay with everyone, as West Irondequoit is a meet destination to end all meet destinations!
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dgolub

Interested.  Presumably, I'll be vaccinated by then and able to travel.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on April 01, 2021, 10:21:48 AM
I'd like to take advantage of this important day to announce the 2021 West Irondequoit Road Meet, which will take place in beautiful West Irondequoit, NY on September 25 of this year.

:-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

You jest, and you were probably too young for this, but we had a Rochester road meet in the mid-2000s that actually had half of what you list on the meet.  There's an oddball photo floating somewhere of CJ (Chris Jordan) and I acting as bouncers behind a fence from that meet.

Alps

webny99

The stops on this meet will include the best of what beautiful Irondequoit has to offer, including...

Including this one!

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cl94

If it wasn't clear to everyone, this post was intended as an April Fool's joke. Everything about the announcement down to the location was based around longstanding road enthusiast memes.

If somebody wants to host this, go right ahead and do so. I don't have the time to throw something together and make sure it goes well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

And if it's your birthday, we'll make sure to get out the disco ball and sparkler and play this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cvJPC6nGZ0
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on April 01, 2021, 05:29:35 PM

Including this one!
I had never even noticed that. I agree, let's have it on the meet.

(BTW, I am happy to host this meet, but would like help from someone more local just in case.)

webny99

Quote from: Alps on April 02, 2021, 01:00:18 AM

Including this one!

(BTW, I am happy to host this meet, but would like help from someone more local just in case.)

I think (?) I might be the closest person that's active here. I'm on the other side of the bay.

With that said, I wouldn't be able to host for a bunch of reasons I won't get into, but I could possibly pop in to one of the stops to say hello if this does end up happening... it would depend on the schedule though.

vdeane

Including this one!

I could probably take a look at stops and whatnot on my trips home.  Would you be looking at keeping it to what's listed in the OP or possibly expanding out to some of the recent/current projects in the Rochester area?  Construction is ongoing on the new 390 SB thru lanes in the 490 interchange, the area where the Inner Loop was removed looks completely different, and the Driving Park Ave bridge at lower falls (about a mile south of the Veterans Bridge) has never been featured in a meet.  There's also I-390 exit 16 and the Pont de Rennes Bridge (also never featured in a meet).

We've also talked about having a Rochester meet at a Wegmans; given the pandemic, now might be the time to do it, and there's one just up the road from that McDonald's (it's even called the Irondequoit store!).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

csw

I'd consider driving out for a Rochester meet. I've been wanting to take a trip there for a while to check out all the old signs.

baugh17

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on April 02, 2021, 09:01:44 PM

Including this one!

I could probably take a look at stops and whatnot on my trips home.  Would you be looking at keeping it to what's listed in the OP or possibly expanding out to some of the recent/current projects in the Rochester area?  Construction is ongoing on the new 390 SB thru lanes in the 490 interchange, the area where the Inner Loop was removed looks completely different, and the Driving Park Ave bridge at lower falls (about a mile south of the Veterans Bridge) has never been featured in a meet.  There's also I-390 exit 16 and the Pont de Rennes Bridge (also never featured in a meet).

We've also talked about having a Rochester meet at a Wegmans; given the pandemic, now might be the time to do it, and there's one just up the road from that McDonald's (it's even called the Irondequoit store!).
I think if you have some other ideas of what to see, the core concept is flexible.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

cu2010

Rochester is my second home... and a meet at a Wegmans? Count me in!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alps

Quote from: cu2010 on April 04, 2021, 01:07:07 AM
Rochester is my second home... and a meet at a Wegmans? Count me in!
any interest in helping vdeane plan for this?

cu2010

Probably, though I don't get out to Rochester much anymore, and I'm still planning my own Plattsburgh meet...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

kernals12

Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2021, 06:07:12 PM
Quote from: kurumi on April 03, 2021, 01:59:51 PM
will there be steamed hams
More of an Albany expression.

You liar, steamed hamburgers come from Connecticut. How dare you appropriate my home state's delicacy

webny99

Quote from: kernals12 on April 08, 2021, 10:45:14 AM

You liar, steamed hamburgers come from Connecticut. How dare you appropriate my home state's delicacy

ham ≠ hamburger

kernals12

Quote from: webny99 on April 08, 2021, 10:49:11 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 08, 2021, 10:45:14 AM

ham ≠ hamburger

Yeah it is. It's a regional dialect

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.