News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Regional driving etiquette

Started by index, September 16, 2021, 09:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Heh, the one time I've had somebody move over for me on a real paved road was also in Colorado ... but it was some old guy in a little sedan on US 287.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Rothman on September 16, 2021, 10:23:53 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 16, 2021, 09:47:15 PM
Southwest Ohio driving etiquette:

- Hog the left lane whenever possible
- Merge in a lane closure at least a mile before the closure starts
OH is the worst with left lane blockers.

Wisconsin says "hold my beer keg!" By far, the worst when it comes to this horrible driving habit.  It's so bad, the VMS' often display this PSA: "CAMP IN THE WOODS NOT THE LEFT LANE".

It doesn't work, btw - they still do.  And then they get pissed at the Illinois people and call them FIBs because they get passed on the right and flipped off for doing 63 in the far left lane.

bwana39

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 17, 2021, 02:09:39 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2021, 01:52:26 AM
In Vancouver (but also Seattle too), always wait to turn left from the middle of the intersection. Waiting behind the stop line is considered rude. Up to three or even four cars may turn after the phase ends, so cross traffic may have to yield for a brief moment.

Same thing in NYC and North Jersey. It's very common and expected for people to turn left when the light turns red. When I go back home to upstate NY this seems very rare. People will just wait scared behind the line and if they don't see a gap, they'll wait for a whole new cycle. When I explained the concept of waiting in the intersection and turning left on red to my mom (who learned to drive in a rural area), she had no idea what I was talking about.

I learned to drive BEFORE there were many protected left turns or even left turn lanes. What we were taught was you waited till the oncoming traffic passed then you turned left. This also meant that you turned left when the oncoming traffic was made to stop by red and the cross traffic was to wait for you.  You were to initially pull to near the mid-point of the intersection to wait when on green. It has become less and less common that there are not protected left turn lanes, but when traffic has to turn left from a regular traffic lane this is the way it has to work.

Texas traffic signal law states that cross traffic can start crossing on green WHEN intersection is clear.  Right of way is never absolute.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 17, 2021, 09:41:54 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 17, 2021, 08:10:29 AM
In Vancouver (but also Seattle too), always wait to turn left from the middle of the intersection. Waiting behind the stop line is considered rude. Up to three or even four cars may turn after the phase ends, so cross traffic may have to yield for a brief moment.

Same thing in NYC and North Jersey. It's very common and expected for people to turn left when the light turns red. When I go back home to upstate NY this seems very rare. People will just wait scared behind the line and if they don't see a gap, they'll wait for a whole new cycle. When I explained the concept of waiting in the intersection and turning left on red to my mom (who learned to drive in a rural area), she had no idea what I was talking about.

This is standard practice across America.  The 'all-red' phase is specifically designed to clear traffic out of the intersection safely before the cross traffic gets a green light.

The first thing that came to mind when seeing this thread title was the variable practice of pulling into the intersection waiting to turn left at a signal.  Not every locale across the US does this-- driving in West Virginia left me confused why no one was doing it.  I would get stuck behind someone in the left turn lane at a green light, frustrated that they wouldn't pull forward.  (If the intersection is along a curved section of road alignment, this is forgiven, especially if the curve is to the right.)

If West Virginia is like Louisiana, ROW is absolute. If you are sitting waiting or turning and the cross traffic has a green light you are fair game. They will hit you and laugh all the was to see Morris Bart.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

hbelkins

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 17, 2021, 09:41:54 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 17, 2021, 08:10:29 AM

This is standard practice across America.  The 'all-red' phase is specifically designed to clear traffic out of the intersection safely before the cross traffic gets a green light.

The first thing that came to mind when seeing this thread title was the variable practice of pulling into the intersection waiting to turn left at a signal.  Not every locale across the US does this-- driving in West Virginia left me confused why no one was doing it.  I would get stuck behind someone in the left turn lane at a green light, frustrated that they wouldn't pull forward.  (If the intersection is along a curved section of road alignment, this is forgiven, especially if the curve is to the right.)

In some states, it's illegal to be in the intersection if the light turns red. This includes drivers who have proceeded past the stop bar and into the intersection to await a gap in traffic to turn left.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

A certain former poster on this forum was aware of that and used it to justify his outright refusal to pull into any intersection to turn left, even in states where that was not the case.

That said, he was also under the impression that it was illegal to enter an intersection on yellow in Oregon, so...

webny99

It frustrates me to no end when people don't pull into the intersection to turn left. There are some locations where this is literally the only hope of being able to move at all - everyone is entirely dependent on one or two cars going on yellow/red and if they don't, you might as well park in place because it could be a half-hour or more before there's a gap on green. When someone doesn't pull forward in this situation, I truly find it to be one of the most unbelievable displays of stupidity that you can encounter while on the road.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Rothman on September 16, 2021, 09:34:54 PM
The big one in MA that has lessened to some extent, was turning left at the beginning of the green rather than the end.

This is also common in PA, to the extent that it is known as the Pittsburgh Left. It usually occurs at lights without protected lefts, and is probably not legal.

Also worth mentioning...parking chairs. Commonly found to protect parking spots that have been cleared of snow. Legality varies depending on the jurisdiction.

vdeane

I believe NY law only allows the first car in line to do this.  Others are expected to remain behind the stop line until the car in front makes their turn.

I'd hardly call pulling into the intersection "very rare" upstate, though it is very rare to see a whole line of cars turn left like in NYC.  Although not as rare as Rothman finds it, apparently.  It's definitely annoying and not the norm for even the lead car to sit behind the stop line, but it's common enough that I don't consider it unusual.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

HighwayStar

Quote from: jmacswimmer on September 16, 2021, 10:12:33 PM
Maryland:

On roads with 3 lanes or more in one direction, avoid the right lane like the plague.  Especially on I-70 between Frederick & Baltimore Beltway, and I-95 northeast of Baltimore :spin:

Thanks for being part of the movement jmacswimmer, even if its in 6 pt font.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2021, 09:54:22 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2021, 09:29:32 AM
In Kentucky, drivers pull over when meeting a funeral procession.

I used to see some people do this in North Carolina, even when the funeral procession was on the other side of a divided highway, but certainly not everyone did it. I remember getting the stinkeye from some old man when I didn't pull over and stop for a funeral procession that was on the other side of a wide median–he had pulled over and stopped and was standing next to his car with his hat off.

I fully agree with the old man, that was a fine tradition that EVERYONE used to follow, you pull off, get out of your car, and remove your hat.
Funeral processions do have the right of way in some states, and I think we should just extend that to making people pull over, get out of their cars, and remove hats. Should be a ticket able offense.

renegade

Quote from: HighwayStar on September 17, 2021, 04:09:20 PM

I used to see some people do this in North Carolina, even when the funeral procession was on the other side of a divided highway, but certainly not everyone did it. I remember getting the stinkeye from some old man when I didn't pull over and stop for a funeral procession that was on the other side of a wide median–he had pulled over and stopped and was standing next to his car with his hat off.

I fully agree with the old man, that was a fine tradition that EVERYONE used to follow, you pull off, get out of your car, and remove your hat.
Funeral processions do have the right of way in some states, and I think we should just extend that to making people pull over, get out of their cars, and remove hats. Should be a ticket able offense.
You can't "make" people do anything they don't want to do.  Good luck with that.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

HighwayStar

Quote from: renegade on September 17, 2021, 04:12:44 PM

You can't "make" people do anything they don't want to do.  Good luck with that.

By that logic there should be no rules at all for the road, since someone can always choose to break them. Some people want to litter, and will always do it, so lets just get rid of the littering laws right?
No, I think a nice $5000 fine plus 5 license points for failure to show respect to a funeral procession would be a good incentive, most people would comply.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: HighwayStar on September 17, 2021, 04:05:58 PM
Maryland:

On roads with 3 lanes or more in one direction, avoid the right lane like the plague.  Especially on I-70 between Frederick & Baltimore Beltway, and I-95 northeast of Baltimore :spin:

Just to be crystal clear, the 6 pt font is my way of conveying sarcasm  :-D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

HighwayStar

Quote from: jmacswimmer on September 17, 2021, 04:37:48 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on September 17, 2021, 04:05:58 PM
Maryland:

Just to be crystal clear, the 6 pt font is my way of conveying sarcasm  :-D

Still, 6 pt font is better than not including it at all.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: HighwayStar on September 17, 2021, 05:44:13 PM
Still, 6 pt font is better than not including it at all.

News flash: he's not saying you're right.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

achilles765

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 17, 2021, 09:49:53 AM
Texas:

Drivers at a four way stop always (and I mean always) yield the right of way to another driver at the intersection if both arrived there at the same time, regardless of whether they actually have the right of way.

Straddling the line allowing for someone to pass is definitely something I've only seen in Texas. In fact, I like doing it myself.

As a general rule, Texas drivers are usually the most courteous and nice you'll find anywhere, except on the freeway, where they turn into wholly different creatures.

I have lived in Louisiana, Mississippi, and now I have been a Texan for 11 years...and Ive driven to and from New England... Ive driven in 18 states...and I have to agree with you... Texas has some of the most courteous drivers, aside from the odd incident on the freeway, especially in thick traffic...
Except for Dallas....people in Dallas are just...kind of rude and not considerate...on the road or otherwise. As opposed to Houston and San Antonio which have always seemed like incredibly friendly and welcoming places to me. 
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on September 17, 2021, 12:11:42 PM
It frustrates me to no end when people don't pull into the intersection to turn left. There are some locations where this is literally the only hope of being able to move at all - everyone is entirely dependent on one or two cars going on yellow/red and if they don't, you might as well park in place because it could be a half-hour or more before there's a gap on green. When someone doesn't pull forward in this situation, I truly find it to be one of the most unbelievable displays of stupidity that you can encounter while on the road.

At that point it's kind of on the DOT for not putting in a protected left.

What the fuck? Some of us want to use the road to go somewhere. If someone wants to put on a performance about how much they respect some dead person they don't know in order to try and fail to convince themselves and everyone around them they're a good person, despite knowing deep down they're not, that's what Facebook is for!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2021, 08:18:09 PM

For sure. I can think of several examples, but the closest one to me is the result of two schools close together, so it's a big issue at those times of day and a non-issue at other times.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on September 17, 2021, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2021, 08:18:09 PM

For sure. I can think of several examples, but the closest one to me is the result of two schools close together, so it's a big issue at those times of day and a non-issue at other times.

One issue that I've seen is, in areas where the protected left turn is installed, drivers end up being substantially less aggressive with their attempts to turn left on a green orb. You have the advantage of a leading green arrow (or lagging, possibly), but a somewhat marked decrease in drivers turning after the green ends because they "get a green arrow in a minute." This behavior isn't the case everywhere, to be fair, but it seems like a common excuse that drivers give.

hbelkins

I've always pulled over for funeral processions, but I've never gotten out of the car for one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ztonyg

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2021, 07:40:26 AM
In the DC area, especially Northern Virginia, a lane change doesn't count unless you get ahead of someone in the other lane. Doesn't matter that the traffic is heavy ahead of that guy on your right up ahead and there's nobody behind him for over a mile–if you change lanes to fall in behind him, you've admitted defeat and admitted you're a pussy. Instead, you have to speed up, but because you can't use a blinker, you have to match your speed to whatever gap is in front of that guy and assume that he will interpret that as a blinker.

More seriously, regarding the wait behind the line versus wait in the box thing, waiting behind the line is very common here because it's often easier to see oncoming traffic if you stay further back like that.

In Illinois, I'd suggest "etiquette" can be summarized quite simply: Do whatever the opposite is from what Crash_It says.

I noticed this as well in Northern Virginia. Nobody pulls ahead of the stop line to make a left turn unless cross traffic is clear. It confused me at first and then I thought it must be a state law so i did the same.

Out here in Arizona everyone pulls out into the middle of the intersection.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2021, 08:24:13 PM
I've always pulled over for funeral processions, but I've never gotten out of the car for one.

I don't know that I've ever even encountered a funeral procession since I've started driving. I don't live particularly close to any cemeteries or funeral homes.

It seems like kind of a silly idea when you think about it. You pull over for an emergency vehicle because they have a time-sensitive emergency they're attending to (a criminal that might flee, a house that might burn down, a patient that might die). With a funeral, the person of honor has absolutely nothing else on their schedule.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MCRoads

I noticed that upthread there was a discussion about mountain roads. Locals will absolutely pul off if they are slowing down traffic. However, most of the people that drive these roads aren't local, they come from out of state. They will go ridiculously slow. On old trail ridge road in RMNP, they go 5 MPH. Yes, it's pretty. Yes, it's a narrow road. But for the love of god, some of us just want to get to the trailhead halfway up that road before the park closes! Pull over on the switchbacks, or on wider sections, so we can pass you! And truckers do not use pull-offs like they are supposed to. They actually have a reason to go slow. And the DOT realizes that. So they give them a nice 500-foot paved shoulder called a truck pullout so you can pull out of traffic if you are slow. A TRUCK pullout. IIRC there are even signs that say if more than 3-4 cars are trailing you, you MUST use the pullout. They don't use them. So don't even think about getting past a truck if you are on one if COs countless 2-lane roads with truck traffic.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Rothman

There's a difference between mountain roads within and without national parks.  Tourists and sightseers will drive slower to see the surroundings, especially on the main road through RMNP.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.