News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 07, 2019, 07:53:16 AM
What does the interchange layout have to do with traffic flow on the weekend?
Also, it *is* 3 lanes wide now on 295 South after the ramp for I-95 North.  The left-most lane is an exit-only lane for 141 North.  They could easily extend that lane onto I-95 South, but would need to reconstruct and widen the Rt. 141 overpass, then have either the left lane from 295 or the right lane from 95 merge down.  DelDOT, in their reconstruction of 141 over 95 North, did reconstruct the overpass in a way to allow for a 3rd Northbound lane onto 295 North, so the idea of 3 lanes to/from 295 isn't completely foreign.

Another poster mentioned widening the Turnpike to 12 lanes on a 3-3-3-3 configuration, something that DelDOT studied back in the 1970s.

That is what would be needed IMHO to handle a continuous 3-lane each way connection to I-295.  The left hand ramp to DE-141 could be relocated to a right hand exit.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on June 07, 2019, 08:27:01 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 07, 2019, 07:53:16 AM
What does the interchange layout have to do with traffic flow on the weekend?
Also, it *is* 3 lanes wide now on 295 South after the ramp for I-95 North.  The left-most lane is an exit-only lane for 141 North.  They could easily extend that lane onto I-95 South, but would need to reconstruct and widen the Rt. 141 overpass, then have either the left lane from 295 or the right lane from 95 merge down.  DelDOT, in their reconstruction of 141 over 95 North, did reconstruct the overpass in a way to allow for a 3rd Northbound lane onto 295 North, so the idea of 3 lanes to/from 295 isn't completely foreign.

Another poster mentioned widening the Turnpike to 12 lanes on a 3-3-3-3 configuration, something that DelDOT studied back in the 1970s.

That is what would be needed IMHO to handle a continuous 3-lane each way connection to I-295.  The left hand ramp to DE-141 could be relocated to a right hand exit.

Don't forget that it wasn't that long ago 95 was 4 lanes wide, and the left lane from the 2 lanes of 295 ended shortly after the 95/295 merge.

For the most part, DelDOT squeezed in the 5th lane of I-95 by converting the sloped embankment to a mechanically stabilized earth retaining wall.  Doing so didn't readily impact the marsh area.  Any additional widening will do so.  Adding 1 lane in each direction will take about 24 feet in total.  Adding a 3-3-3-3 layout will effective add up to 76 feet, because of the need to add in 2 additional shoulders along with the additional lane (6 lanes in total, 72 feet wide), and another 2 feet for a barrier between same-direction roadways.

The 3-3-3-3 design is not and will not be under any active consideration by DelDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 07, 2019, 08:50:47 AM
Don't forget that it wasn't that long ago 95 was 4 lanes wide, and the left lane from the 2 lanes of 295 ended shortly after the 95/295 merge.
For the most part, DelDOT squeezed in the 5th lane of I-95 by converting the sloped embankment to a mechanically stabilized earth retaining wall.  Doing so didn't readily impact the marsh area.  Any additional widening will do so.  Adding 1 lane in each direction will take about 24 feet in total.  Adding a 3-3-3-3 layout will effective add up to 76 feet, because of the need to add in 2 additional shoulders along with the additional lane (6 lanes in total, 72 feet wide), and another 2 feet for a barrier between same-direction roadways.
The 3-3-3-3 design is not and will not be under any active consideration by DelDOT.

The wetlands impacts is a major obstacle for the whole area with regard to expansion in the I-95/I-295/I-495 interchange area.

The problem is that when accounting for all the peak flows at various times and days, it could be argued that would need 3 lanes on I-95 entering the interchange area for I-95 South, 2 lanes on I-495 entering the interchange area for I-95 South, and 3 lanes on I-295 entering the interchange area for I-95 South.

Basically 8 lanes after all that merges in the southern part of the interchange to I-95 South!  :hmmm:
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Back to the topic/region at hand:

There have been two minor sign updates... on the PA side of the interchange I noticed as of this past Thursday (June 13):

1.  All exit tabs for US 13 (Exit 42) that once had the oddball/Helvetica font 42 now feature such in standard Series E font.  I believe the tabs were completely replaced as opposed to the just the number being replaced.  Note: the 3-mile advance BGS on the NJ did not receive this treatment; the 42 on that sign is still in Clearview.

2.  This change is an odd, premature one.  This particular BGS along I-95 northbound now has blank-green sheeting placed over the I-276 & PA Turnpike shields.  Premature because, the ramp that would link I-95 northbound to I-276 westbound has yet to be built.  Not sure why this change was made. 

If the reasoning behind the change is because US 13 no longer directly connects to I-276 (due to it now being I-95); a TO or TO WEST legend should've been added instead.  Note: no supplemental TO 276 PATP (shield) signs have been placed along I-95 northbound directing motorists to use Exit 35/PA 63 to US 1 North as a means of reaching I-276.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Not sure, either.  The temporary signing at the U.S. 13 entrance does say "To/Toll/West/276" and still has the large Turnpike signs.  Not sure what will replace it once the at-grade intersection geometry is complete/in use.

The I-295 WB approach (old I-95 SB) to the Pa. 413 interchange has reference to the Pa. Turnpike, but not I-276 (since reference to I-95 North and NJ Tpk are also there), and this was a new sign installed with the designation change.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on June 18, 2019, 01:56:30 PM
The I-295 WB approach (old I-95 SB) to the Pa. 413 interchange has reference to the Pa. Turnpike, but not I-276 (since reference to I-95 North and NJ Tpk are also there), and this was a new sign installed with the designation change.
For that direction, one already accesses I-276 via US 1 South a few miles beforehand; so deleting references to I-276/PA Turnpike on the BGS for PA 413 you described makes sense.

However, coming from the south (Philly); it would be pointless to route I-95 northbounders to I-276 westbound via I-295 (old I-95 northbound) to US 1 South when one already has either PA 63 (to US 1 North) or PA 413 (what the prior BGS listed, pre-mod) for such.  I'm still convinced that somebody jumped the gun regarding that BGS mod along I-95 northbound.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: akotchi on June 18, 2019, 01:56:30 PM
The temporary signing at the U.S. 13 entrance does say "To/Toll/West/276"

As does the permanent signage at the trumpet for the westbound on-ramp loop. It's not obvious because there aren't many examples, but the PTC has stopped direct signage of the Turnpike shield at the new interchange with the end of I-276. My best guess as to why is because "North I-95/East PA Turnpike, to NJTP - New York" would probably be a bit confusing to the public, though so would going all the way and outright stating that the PA Turnpike "designation" ends with I-276 at I-95 and exclusively referring to the road east of the interchange as I-95.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jaip

I saw another new sign at I276 PA TPK entrance from US1 (Bensalem/Neshaminy). The sign read

I276 "shield"  East to I95 "shield"  North
New Jersey
New York

I believe this is going to appear on additional interchanges on 276 east such as Willow Grove if not already.

I will try to take picture next time I am in the area.

ipeters61

Quote from: jaip on June 18, 2019, 06:41:09 PM
I saw another new sign at I276 PA TPK entrance from US1 (Bensalem/Neshaminy). The sign read

New Jersey
New York

I believe this is going to appear on additional interchanges on 276 east such as Willow Grove if not already.

I will try to take picture next time I am in the area.
That makes sense.  Exits 31 (Lansdale), 44 (Quakertown), 56 (Lehigh Valley) off I-476 all have "To I-276" for southbound entrances.  Interestingly, the one at Lehigh Valley also has "TOLL" banners after you've passed through the ticket booth/E-ZPass.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

PHLBOS

Quote from: jaip on June 18, 2019, 06:41:09 PM

New Jersey
New York

Most if not all of the signs along I-276 west of US 1 have since been replaced within the last three(?) years with no provisional space for a future TO 95 NORTH or equivalent legend.  Never say never, mind you but given the fact that all eastbound ramp signs still listing exit number ranges were never updated (the highest number, for the ticketed system is now 353 but all the signs still read 359); I highly doubt that the Willow Grove & Fort Washington ramp signs for I-276 eastbound will be revised anytime soon. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

briantroutman

Quote from: ipeters61 on June 19, 2019, 07:52:24 AM
That makes sense.  Exits 31 (Lansdale), 44 (Quakertown), 56 (Lehigh Valley) off I-476 all have "To I-276" for southbound entrances.  Interestingly, the one at Lehigh Valley also has "TOLL" banners after you've passed through the ticket booth/E-ZPass.

The PTC has been adding yellow "TOLL"  plates in lots of places where they wouldn't seem to be necessary. For example, there's this reassurance marker eastbound after the on-ramp from the Sideling Hill Service Plaza: https://goo.gl/maps/z3NUi5RgGbuGGZ1P8

In the eastbound direction that point, motorists have already been on the closed-ticket portion of the system for at least a dozen miles (if not 100+).

The 2009 edition of the MUTCD more clearly spells out procedures for signing approaches to toll facilities, but from a cursory inspection, anyway, the regulations don't seem to require signing "TOLL"  once motorists are already within the toll system. But as parts of the PTC's closed ticket network get chipped away (I-95 interchange area, I-79 to the Ohio line), unstaffed and non-trumpet interchanges are added (Virginia Drive, PA 903), and the word "turnpike"  becomes a little less synonymous with "toll"  as it once was, it's of some benefit to add the plates–and probably of little harm (other than a little unnecessary expense) to add them where they're not absolutely needed.

PHLBOS

^^The PTC must have a surplus of those TOLL banners laying around lol.  So why not use them?  :-D
GPS does NOT equal GOD

02 Park Ave

I saw a Philadelphia-bound Peter Pan bus on I-95 in Northeast Philadelphia this morning.

Perhaps, the intercity carriers are starting to use the Interchange.
C-o-H

KEVIN_224

I hope so! Whenever I was on one, we nearly always exited at Turnpike Exit 4 in Mount Laurel (NJ Route 73). Afterwards, it was a choice of NJ Route 38 (Kaighn Avenue?) or 90 through Cinnaminson/Pennsauken towards the Betsy Ross Bridge.

briantroutman

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 14, 2019, 07:11:12 PM
I saw a Philadelphia-bound Peter Pan bus on I-95 in Northeast Philadelphia this morning.

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall that this question was asked and answered during the I-95 Interchange meet last September. And the PTC official said that, yes, they have been in communication with intercity bus lines and that those companies intended to incorporate the direct connection into their routes.

epzik8

If time permits, I'll take pictures of going on the first phase of the interchange (northbound I-95) sometime.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jaip

I have seen it several times since interchange opening day.

cpzilliacus

This makes sense, at least at certain times of the day - if the bus between New York City and Washington, D.C. (or Silver Spring, Maryland) is not full, to make a quick stop in Philadelphia.  Peter Pan and Greyhound formerly had a joint operating agreement, but that was discontinued.

I wonder if Greyhound might send their some of their Bolt buses through Philadelphia too?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Somewhat of a cross-post from the 2020 Rand McNally Road Atlas thread

While thumbing through the 2020 edition while at Barnes & Noble this past Saturday: in addition to I-95 & I-295 shields being added where appropriate, the stretch of PA Turnpike that is now I-95 is now shown as a free highway between the I-276/295 (Exit 40) and US 13 (Exit 42) interchanges.  Toll barrier lines are shown along the tolled stretches just east of US 13 and west of I-95/295. 

Oddly, the connector road between I-95 & US 13 (where the Delaware Valley toll plaza once stood) is now shown as a free highway.  Prior editions showed this connector as conventional road (grey line).

Additionally & something I noticed last week while at a AAA Travel Store, the latest AAA maps for this area now show the new/current I-95 routing as well as the old I-95 as I-295... though AAA still shows the new I-95 between I-276/295 & US 13 as a toll road.  Such is not technically correct.  On AAA's New Jersey/Pennsylvania map, one of the new I-295 shields on the main map page north of Trenton appears to be a 2-d shield with 295 numerals squeezed in; must've been an 11th hour change.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Yeah I noticed that too!  The PA Turnpike east of the said interchange is now shown purple with the bridge only being green into the NJ Turnpike.  Plus the freeway connector to US 13 that was once a grey line.

That is most likely because the toll booths are gone on the former 29 ramp and its divided that its shown now that way.

I like now that US 209 between PA 33 and I-80 is shown only a part freeway (have to look at my 2019 and 2018 to see if it was changed then too) as its orange closer to PA 33, as that was always an error even on Exxon maps which had it all full freeway between the two other freeways.

One thing about Exxon (General Drafting in Florham Park, NJ) they show the FDR drive as an arterial and NY 9A where not freeway as an undivided roadway.  Then the Belt Parkway is shown as arterial between both interchanges with I-278 in Bay Ridge, and east of JFK also as an arterial.  The Grand Central Parkway is shown only full freeway too from I-278 to I-678 in Jamaica and from I-678 eastward its divided arterial despite it all being freeway as with the Belt Parkway.  Then New England maps by General Drafting have the Hutch, the Merritt Parkway, and even the Wilbur Cross Parkway as divided arterials even when both were toll roads prior to the early 80's when CT abolished the tolls on both the Parkways and I-95 Turnpike.

Back on topic, yeah its like the PA Turnpike now ends at I-95/295.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2019, 08:53:29 PMPlus the freeway connector to US 13 that was once a grey line.

That is most likely because the toll booths are gone on the former 29 ramp and its divided that its shown now that way.
While one could argue that it's shown that way because such operates as a Super 2; I still think that showing such that way is pushing the envelope a bit.  Using that logic, such in the past could've been technically still shown as a divided tollway prior to the toll booths being removed.

In contrast & just south of that location, the short connector between I-95 & PA 413 (at Exit 39/formerly 40) shown as a divided highway makes some level of sense because such is divided & multi-lane between the two roads. 

It was probably mentioned several posts/pages back on this thread but said-connector was originally planned to be extended to the PA Turnpike (then-I-276) at the US 13 interchange.  The current PA 413 intersection would've likely been built/reconfigured as an interchange. 

Such was the pre-1982 plan for directly linking I-95 to the PA Turnpike (I-276).  The Delaware Valley interchange would've been modified so that the mainline trumpet would've been the northern end of the connector.  The toll plaza and connector piece & trumpet w/US 13 would've likely been eliminated in favor of a southern link between US 13 to probably a diamond-style interchange with the I-95/PA Turnpike connector.  A relocated/replacement toll plaza would've been located between the relocated US 13 interchange/link and the mainline Turnpike trumpet.  As we all know & since E-ZPass was well over a decade away from becoming reality; the above-described plan was scrapped in favor of what's finally there today.  Had E-ZPass or even AET existed circa 1982; this particular gap along I-95 may have been closed some 30 years earlier.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 30, 2019, 01:33:10 PM
Additionally & something I noticed last week while at a AAA Travel Store, the latest AAA maps for this area now show the new/current I-95 routing as well as the old I-95 as I-295... though AAA still shows the new I-95 between I-276/295 & US 13 as a toll road.  Such is not technically correct.  On AAA's New Jersey/Pennsylvania map, one of the new I-295 shields on the main map page north of Trenton appears to be a 2-d shield with 295 numerals squeezed in; must've been an 11th hour change.

This is the kind of error that does not especially bother me.  Even though it is clearly possible to drive between the new I-95 ramps and the former Exit 358 at U.S. 13 and not pay a toll, this is still on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. 

At the other end of the Pennsylvania Turnpike East-West mainline, there is a similar (but longer) section of PTC-maintained road which is similarly "free," though it seems that there is not much warning that drivers are entering a toll road (at for example) Cranberry when entering at headed east nor westbound at Exit 13 (PA-18) where the next and last interchange at Exit 10 in Pennsylvania is I-376, a barrier toll road - and beyond that is the Ohio Turnpike, definitely a toll road.  Observations from the western part of the Turnpike from about a year ago, but I think they are still valid.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

billpa

I know it's August but I've only now picked up the official Penndot map at a rest stop.

Pixel 2

briantroutman

^ I picked up that map a few weeks ago, and I completely forgot to look at its depiction of the I-95/PA Turnpike interchange. (I was more concerned with the new map's depictions of the CSVT, US 219 freeway, and Pittsburgh Southern Beltway.)

But this is an interesting, nuanced, and surprisingly accurate depiction–especially compared with Rand McNally, which simply put an square interchange symbol over the point at which the two freeways cross (and kept the entirety of the former Turnpike mainline as "toll" ).

- I-95 is shown as the through route, not an exit to/from the Turnpike
- The previous through movement to I-276 is shown as an exit southbound/westbound only, which is correct
- The Turnpike's Delaware ever bridge is shown as being free northbound/eastbound and toll in the reverse direction, which is correct

I've never before seen two-color color coding for tolls in one direction. PennDOT should apply this to the other limited access toll crossings on the map.

Overall, good job!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.