Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on October 16, 2021, 11:33:47 PM
Driving back the traffic was backed-up from Indian Creek on northbound SR-37. But, that gave me an opportunity to notice the SR-39 interchange looks 85% complete by my eye test. Too bad the railroad crossing on SR-37 is one lane. The jam would be greatly reduced if that were 2 lanes.

Yup. I was again up that way, and the backup was significant. To avoid the congestion, a good number of vehicles were exiting at the Liberty Church Road interchange and then taking Burton Lane to Martinsville. In fact, so many cars were doing this that Southview Drive was bumper to bumper between Burton Lane and Ohio Street. Evidently, a lot of drivers have now figured out the Martinsville workarounds to get back onto State Road 37 just north of town at the Morgan Street juncture.

Couple of pictures:

Showing the flag. The scene at the I-69/Liberty Church Road interchange in Morgan County, Indiana, late in the afternoon Saturday, October 16, 2021. He was up there for at least an hour. Cars traveling northbound on I-69 were periodically honking their appreciation and approval.

Closer look.

I wasn't planning to take construction pictures in Martinsville, but I happened upon a paving operation near the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. Well, as you probably guessed, I snapped off a few. I'll try to get a couple posted in the next day or so. In the meantime, they're uploaded on my I-69 Construction Flickr page, available for viewing if interested.

ITB

A few more pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, October 17, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from near the mainline bridges over Ohio Street in Martinsville, Indiana. On the right is the future entrance ramp from Ohio Street to I-69 northbound. In the mid-background is the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. Further back is the State Road 44 overpass.

Mainline bridges over State Road 39/Morton Ave. at the future I-69/SR 39 interchange in Martinsville; looking north.

Looking north from near the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass (pictured). The paving crew, which had been hard at work the day prior, Saturday, Oct. 16th, decided to end the day at this spot.

Long range view looking north from near the mainline bridges over Ohio Street in Martinsville.

Closer look. The sidewalls of the mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch are partially visible mid-frame.

Mainline bridges over Ohio Street in Martinsville; looking north. Deck pours took place last week.

Underneath the mainline bridges at the future State Road 39 interchange; looking northwest. It looks like two more layers of asphalt remain to be put down. Traffic on Morton Ave./SR 39 is in the background.

Another view looking north from near the mainline bridges over Ohio Street.

ITB

Oops. Forgot about the paving pictures which I mentioned earlier. The work day was coming to an end, but I was able to snap a few as the crew finished up. Photos were taken Saturday, October 16, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Subcontractor Milestone Contractors LP paving a wide slab of concrete for the future northbound lanes of I-69 near the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville, Indiana; looking slightly northwest. The paving operation involved three pieces of equipment — a spreader, a slipform paver, and a texture/cure machine. Pictured are the spreader (right) and slipform paver (left).

Loads of trucked-in fresh concrete were deposited in a hopper attached to the spreader.

The hopper rises to empty the concrete to the ground. Note the wood in the dowel rod assembly. That's the end point for the day's paving.

Behind the slipform paver, members of the paving crew smooth out any uneven spots and remove excess water from the slab. About 50 yards further back was the texture/cure machine, which tined the slab and applied the curing compound. The slipform paver model was a GOMACO GP4. More details about this machine can be found here.

Another view.

Momentary pause in the action as the crew awaits the arrival of more trucks ferrying in the fresh concrete; looking northwest.

It's back to work as a truck arrives.

Just a few more feet to go.

ITB

Had some extra time, so I went up to Martinsville for another look-see. Significant progress is clearly evident since my visit last week. Photos were taken Thursday, October 21, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville, Indiana. Crews have started to remove the surcharge load just south of the mainline bridges over State Road 252/Hospital Drive. For those unfamiliar with the term surcharge, it means a load placed on top of the ground to help compress the material beneath. This is often done when constructing an apron at an airport, where the ground must be very hard and stable.

Closer look using the long range lens. Two excavators were going at it, with several large articulated dump trucks maneuvering in and out. Wasn't so easy getting a sharp photo as it was a bit windy and I wasn't using a tripod.

The view in the other direction; looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. Paving is now nearly complete between the mainline bridges over Ohio Street and the surcharge area south of SR 252/Hospital Dr.

Closer look. On the right is the future southbound exit ramp to Ohio Street.

Looking north toward the temporary northern closure point of the Martinsville segment. Almost all of the median barrier wall is now complete.

Slightly closer look. To complete the final stretch of the wall, the crew has replaced the tall mold (right) previously on the slipform paver with a shorter one.

The view in the other direction; looking south. In the background is the State Road 44 overpass. With the completion of the median barrier wall, construction activity is going to pick up in this vicinity soon.

Another look north toward the surcharge area just south of the bridges over SR 252/Hospital Dr.

And one more, a long range view looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass.

evvroads

Thanks for the pictures and continued updates. I don't post here much, but I enjoy your posts. What would the purpose be for constructing/removing a surcharge load in that one area? Was there a lot of fill in that area they were wanting to make sure didn't settle too much or something?

Rick Powell

Quote from: evvroads on October 23, 2021, 08:39:38 AM
Thanks for the pictures and continued updates. I don't post here much, but I enjoy your posts. What would the purpose be for constructing/removing a surcharge load in that one area? Was there a lot of fill in that area they were wanting to make sure didn't settle too much or something?

We did much the same thing for a bridge over the Illinois River. The soils under the bridge approaches were weak and spongy, and it was predicted that if we just went ahead and built an embankment and the approach roadway on top of it, there would be over a foot of settlement after the road was built. So we built the embankment with a series of wick drains, and put more dirt on top than was ordinarily needed, and let it sit for a year. The soils underneath were therefore compressed and settled out before the excess earth was removed and the final roadway built, and very little further settlement occurred.

ITB

A lot of fill had to be placed in order to bring the mainline over State Road 252/Hospital Drive. The surcharge was then placed over the fill material to enhance settlement. The goal is to ensure that any settlement which may occur takes place before construction of the road begins.

Here are some earlier photos of the SR 252 construction zone:

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass toward State Road 252/Hospital Drive. This was taken just 16 days after State Road 37 was closed January 2, 2021, in Martinsville. State Road 252, which had intersected SR 37 at grade, runs horizontally across the frame. In the background pile driving was underway for the State Road 44 overpass. Photo was taken January 18, 2021.

The view about four months later. Photo was taken April 4, 2021.

Closer look. April 4, 2021.

The geoform blocks used to form the south abutment of the mainline bridges over State Road 252; looking southeast. Photo was taken May 8, 2021.

The surcharge mound; looking southeast. Crews are now in the process of removing that material. Photo was taken September 2, 2021.

Another early view looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. Photo was taken January 18, 2021.

Edit: Swapped out a photo for another.

seicer

Interesting tidbit about surcharge loads - I had no idea there was a specific term for that. I wonder if that would have helped settle the many, many dips along US 35 in West Virginia.

evvroads

Quote from: ITB on October 24, 2021, 01:49:59 AM

A lot of fill had to be placed in order to bring the mainline over State Road 252/Hospital Drive. The surcharge was then placed over the fill material to enhance settlement. The goal is to ensure that any settlement which may occur takes place before construction of the road begins.

Here are some earlier photos of the SR 252 construction zone:

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

ITB

Over the weekend I took some more photos of construction in Martinsville. Crews are working long days to move this project toward its conclusion. On Saturday, two asphalt paving teams were going at it, plus work was vigorously continuing to finish removing the surcharge material near the future I-69/State Road 252 interchange. There's still a lot of work to be done, but significant progress is clearly evident.

Photos were taken Friday, November 5, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking northwest toward the mainline from Twin Branch Road, located just north of Martinsville. Paving is now underway on the southbound lanes, both at this location and between the State Road 44 overpass and the mainline bridges over State Road 252/Hospital Drive.

The view from the other direction; looking south.

Looking slightly southeast from the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville.

Different perspective looking south. In the background, work continues to remove the surcharge material near the future SR 252 interchange.

Looking north from the SR 44 overpass. Northbound one strip remains to paved with concrete, and that work appears to be imminent. On the right is the future northbound entrance ramp from SR 44.

Another perspective looking northeast from the State Road 44 overpass.

Working on the concrete barrier wall about half mile north of the SR 44 overpass. They were drilling into the barrier for what reason I don't know. Maybe for a electrical conduit, but that's just a guess.

Long range view looking northwest toward the northern closure point of the Martinsville segment. And, yes, the guy dropped down. Another team member soon arrived in a vehicle and they zoomed off to enjoy Friday night.

One more looking south from the SR 44 overpass with dust billowing across the work zone.

More to come.

ITB

Another batch. Photos were taken Saturday, November 6, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville. Removal of the surcharge south of the mainline bridges over State Road 252/Hospital Dr. is nearly complete.

Closer look. On the left is a small section of the future southbound entrance ramp from SR 252/Hospital Dr.

Another perspective of the surcharge removal; looking north.

And one more; looking slightly northwest.

Paving the southbound exit ramp to Ohio Street in Martinsville; looking southeast.

Another view of the paving activity on the southbound exit ramp.

After finishing what they needed to do on the southbound exit ramp, the paving crew shifted to the northbound entrance ramp from Ohio Street.

The northbound entrance ramp from Ohio Street; looking north. In the background is the State Road 44 overpass, and in front of that is the work zone where the surcharge is being removed.

As evening approached, the paving crew was still at work; looking north from near Ohio Street.

Another perspective as the work day came to an end.

Future northbound exit ramp to Ohio Street; looking east. With the sun low in the sky, a wan yellowish light washed over the landscape.

Looking northeast toward the mainline bridges over Ohio Street. On the right is the northbound exit ramp.

Another view looking slightly northeast toward the mainline bridges over Ohio Street. The road in the foreground is Southview Drive.

Again, looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass.

And, again, a closer look.

GaryV

Is that supposed to be completed this month?

silverback1065

Quote from: GaryV on November 08, 2021, 06:37:15 AM

I'm hearing late december now.

Interstate 69 Fan

New Year's Day is the current opening date.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 08, 2021, 12:26:06 PM
New Year's Day is the current opening date.
As long as they don't get a rough winter. If the temperature plummets and there's a lot of snow between now and New Year's, you'll probably see the reopening of the Martinsville section pushed back into the spring of next year.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ITB

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 08, 2021, 08:23:21 AM

I'm hearing late december now.

Yes, substantial completion in either mid- or late-December seems to be more accurate than not. At this time, most of the Martinsville segment is complete or nearly so. But there are areas where there's still a lot of work to do, namely the State Road 252 interchange.

In terms of mainline paving, here's what remains to be done:

- about 300 yards of mainline both southbound and northbound, south of the bridges over Ohio Street
- about a quarter mile of mainline, again both southbound and northbound, south of the bridges over State Road 252/Hospital Drive (this is area where the surcharge was placed)
- about a mile of mainline, southbound, north of the State Road 44 overpass; also one narrow strip northbound between the bridge over SR 252 and the SR 37/Morgan Street crossing

These areas are all depicted in the recent photos posted above.

As for the paving of ramps:

- all complete or nearly so at the State Road 39 interchange (the final configuration of the interchange with its roundabouts will complete in 2022)
- two of the four at the future Ohio Street interchange have received at least two layers; the northbound exit ramp and southbound entrance ramp are unpaved
- three of the four ramps at the State Road 44 interchange are nearly completely paved; the northbound exit ramp is unpaved
- one of four at the State Road 252 interchange has received at least a layer of asphalt

The ramps requiring work likely will be paved up in the next couple of weeks or so, with the exception of those at the SR 252/Hospital Dr. interchange. That interchange will be the last major component of the Martinsville segment to complete. By far, it's been the most complex, requiring the use of geofoam blocks and significant fill, which was topped with a huge surcharge mound.

Good weather with above average temperatures is expected for most of this week, the second of November, so that's a plus. Colder air is forecast to move in late in the week, but just a little below normal. If temperatures remain around normal for the next three or four weeks, there should few problems completing the paving components of the project. In south-central Indiana, accumulating snow is unusual in November and early December, although there are snow flurries from time to time. However, it can get cold with night temps dropping into the 20s. According to the weather website Wunderground, the average high temperature for Indianapolis at the end of November is 46, the low 30. Martinsville is 25 miles south of Indianapolis.

ITB

Yesterday, I had to go to Greenwood. As I drove through the construction on State Road 37 between Martinsville and Smith Valley Road, I was struck by the tremendous progress that has been made. The entire zone was alive with construction. On the way back I was able to make a quick stop in Martinsville. There, too, the construction zone was a beehive of activity.

Paving the southbound lanes between the State Road 44 overpass and the temporary northern closure point of State Road 37 just north of Martinsville; looking slightly northwest from Twin Branch Road. It's possible this paving crew was just beginning their day and would be working well into the night.

The view in the other direction. In the background is the State Road 44 overpass. On the northbound lanes, it appears some sort of rework around the drain grates is underway, as dowel rod assemblies have been yanked up for access. Once that task is completed that last strip likely will be scheduled for paving.

Cutting joints into the concrete near the median barrier wall north of the State Road 44 overpass; looking west.

Closer look of the paving activity that was pictured above.

This weekend or next I'm going to try to get further north into the construction zone for some picture taking. Compared to a jaunt to Martinsville, going further north is a more substantial time sink. But a lot is happening, and any new photos, of course, will be shared.

abqtraveler

They are certainly making hay while the sun shines. Crews will need to get as much done with the mild fall weather, as we're getting into the timeframe where an Arctic blast that could shut down the project, could happen at any moment.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ARMOURERERIC

I wonder if there is the thinking of getting one carrigeway completely done so there will be enough in place to open as A super 2 if a shutdown weather event occurs.

silverback1065

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 12, 2021, 09:34:18 AM
I wonder if there is the thinking of getting one carrigeway completely done so there will be enough in place to open as A super 2 if a shutdown weather event occurs.

i doubt it. i think this road will open by late december. mainline at least.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: ITB on November 11, 2021, 03:48:55 PM
Yesterday, I had to go to Greenwood. As I drove through the construction on State Road 37 between Martinsville and Smith Valley Road, I was struck by the tremendous progress that has been made. The entire zone was alive with construction. On the way back I was able to make a quick stop in Martinsville. There, too, the construction zone was a beehive of activity.

Paving the southbound lanes between the State Road 44 overpass and the temporary northern closure point of State Road 37 just north of Martinsville; looking slightly northwest from Twin Branch Road. It's possible this paving crew was just beginning their day and would be working well into the night.

The view in the other direction. In the background is the State Road 44 overpass. On the northbound lanes, it appears some sort of rework around the drain grates is underway, as dowel rod assemblies have been yanked up for access. Once that task is completed that last strip likely will be scheduled for paving.

Cutting joints into the concrete near the median barrier wall north of the State Road 44 overpass; looking west.

Closer look of the paving activity that was pictured above.

This weekend or next I'm going to try to get further north into the construction zone for some picture taking. Compared to a jaunt to Martinsville, going further north is a more substantial time sink. But a lot is happening, and any new photos, of course, will be shared.

Just ask yourself, what more important, spending time with family and friends, or taking photos for random strangers  (emphasis on strange) on the internet?

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ just ask yourself, what's more important, taking photos online for strangers instead of spending time with friends and family or complaining about others taking photos instead of spending time with friends and family.

silverback1065

he's not taking photos of random strangers, he's taking photos of the job, random strangers just so happen to be in it. INDOT literally does this all the time!  :-D

sprjus4

^ He said "for" strangers, as in, us, the road community.
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 12, 2021, 02:17:46 PM
^^^^ just ask yourself, what's more important, taking photos online for strangers instead of spending time with friends and family or complaining about others taking photos instead of spending time with friends and family.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 12, 2021, 02:24:46 PM
he's not taking photos of random strangers, he's taking photos of the job, random strangers just so happen to be in it. INDOT literally does this all the time!  :-D
He just doesn't get paid. There's a guy documenting the CASHR project with incredible detail who does it for a hobby. Always amazes me they don't hire the guy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.