News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 295- Fayetteville, NC

Started by Strider, January 03, 2013, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on December 08, 2017, 06:04:30 PM
NCDOT has awarded the contract to build the southernmost section of the Loop from Camden Rd to I-95. The project to start in January will cost $130 million and should be complete by July 2021. The entire Loop is to be completed by 2022:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14661
So: this is the southernmost section, but not the last section. The section just to the north, between Camden Road and US 401, remains to be bid next year.

Strider

Man, the Fayetteville Loop seems to go on bid fast, just like Loop in Greensboro.

CanesFan27

Well North Carolina is asking AASHTO to allow the Interstate 295 designation for the Fayetteville Outer Loop.  Wait, wasn't this already approved like 13 years ago?

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/09/north-carolina-to-petition-aashto-for.html

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on September 13, 2018, 09:35:48 PM
Well North Carolina is asking AASHTO to allow the Interstate 295 designation for the Fayetteville Outer Loop.  Wait, wasn't this already approved like 13 years ago?

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/09/north-carolina-to-petition-aashto-for.html

QuoteThis section of roadway has been built to interstate standards and is currently open to traffic.

The substandard bridges over the Cape Fear River and Carvers Creek beg to differ and I'm pretty sure the jury is still out on the US-13 interchange.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

The Ghostbuster

Are there any plans to build a free-flow ramp between Interstate 95 NB and Interstate 295 SB? Or is the existing ramp adequate for present and future connections?

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on September 14, 2018, 04:54:35 PM

QuoteThis section of roadway has been built to interstate standards and is currently open to traffic.

The substandard bridges over the Cape Fear River and Carvers Creek beg to differ and I'm pretty sure the jury is still out on the US-13 interchange.
The application makes no mention of the substandard bridge or interchange. The form lists no deficiencies with either Section G, which includes the bridge, or H, which covers the interchange. Besides saying the route is up to interstate standards, they state that its a full control of access facility (does this definition include stop signs or the need to make a u-turn on US 13 North to get to NC 295 South?). At least they did put the request into a single space paragraph format this time.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on September 14, 2018, 06:30:03 PM
Quote from: LM117 on September 14, 2018, 04:54:35 PM

The application makes no mention of the substandard bridge or interchange. The form lists no deficiencies with either Section G, which includes the bridge, or H, which covers the interchange. Besides saying the route is up to interstate standards, they state that its a full control of access facility (does this definition include traffic lights or the need to make a u-turn on US 13 North to get to NC 295 South?). At least they did put the request into a single space paragraph format this time.

In other words, they're BS-ing AASHTO...

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on September 15, 2018, 01:18:45 AM
In other words, they're BS-ing AASHTO...

Hardly the first time they've tried to get away with bullshit regarding this route; the posting of ersatz I-295 shields (short-lived as they were) a few years ago was the first shot across the bow regarding this facility.  Somehow, I don't think the substandard I-95/future I-295/US 13 interchange will escape scrutiny; NCDOT will have to at least have plans for an appropriate connection on record before signage at that location occurs -- unless they pull some sleight-of-hand and put something like "TO I-295" on the BGS approaches.  If anyone has access to signage plans for this interchange, it would be enlightening to see just what's going down here!

LM117

Quote from: sparker on September 15, 2018, 02:20:17 AMSomehow, I don't think the substandard I-95/future I-295/US 13 interchange will escape scrutiny

Those bridges won't escape it either, given how anal AASHTO and FHWA are about standards these days. I'll be stunned if AASHTO goes along with this.

I'm also in agreement with Adam. I thought I-295 was a done deal years ago and that all NCDOT had to do was upgrade the substandard bridges and rebuild the I-95/US-13 interchange and let FHWA know then BAM! I-295 shields could then be posted.

Hell, I still can't figure out why NCDOT went through AASHTO earlier this year to get I-285 for US-52 between Winston-Salem and Lexington right after FHWA had given it's thumbs up. NCDOT didn't do that for I-87 on the Knightdale Bypass.

CanesFan27

Quote from: bob7374 on September 14, 2018, 06:30:03 PM
At least they did put the request into a single space paragraph format this time.

Yes, and that is what is most important.

Jmiles32

Wouldn't be surprised if NC ends up completing Fayetteville Outer Loop to its southern terminus before they address the substandard bridges and northern terminus. NCDOT probably sent the request thinking AASHTO wouldn't care, but I think they'll find they were mistaken.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

CanesFan27

Quote from: Jmiles32 on September 15, 2018, 02:12:01 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if NC ends up completing Fayetteville Outer Loop to its southern terminus before they address the substandard bridges and northern terminus. NCDOT probably sent the request thinking AASHTO wouldn't care, but I think they'll find they were mistaken.

Guys, AASHTO has no determination and is not and arbiter of Interstate Standards.  That is the Federal Highway Administration's role and responsibility.

If anything, AASHTO will Conditionally Approve pending FHWA approval.  NCDOT's application does NOT include the 2003 letter from the FHWA - so AASHTO could fall on that but as for Interstate standards, they are going to defer to the FHWA.

Edit to add actual language from the US Code (Source: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=eae973efc51d208648a64d2bf8513117&rgn=div5&view=text&node=23:1.0.1.5.13&idno=23#se23.1.470_1111)

Emphasis Mine.

§470.111   Interstate System procedures.

(a) Proposals for system actions on the Interstate System shall include a route description and a statement of justification. Proposals shall also include statements regarding coordination with adjoining States on State-line connections, with responsible local officials, and with officials of areas under Federal jurisdiction.

(b) Proposals for Interstate or future Interstate designation under 23 U.S.C. 103(c)(4)(A) or (B), as logical additions or connections, shall consider the criteria contained in appendix A of this subpart. For designation as a part of the Interstate system, 23 U.S.C. 103(c)(4)(A) requires that a highway meet all the standards of a highway on the Interstate System, be a logical addition or connection to the Interstate System, and have the affirmative recommendation of the State or States involved. For designation as a future part of the Interstate System, 23 U.S.C. 103(c)(4)(B) requires that a highway be a logical addition or connection to the Interstate System, have the affirmative recommendation of the State or States involved, and have the written agreement of the State or States involved that such highway will be constructed to meet all the standards of a highway on the Interstate System within twenty-five years of the date of the agreement between the FHWA Administrator and the State or States involved. Such highways must also be on the National Highway System.

(c) Routes proposed for Interstate designation under section 332(a)(2) of the NHS Designation Act of 1995 (NHS Act) shall be constructed to Interstate standards and connect to the Interstate System. Proposals shall consider the criteria contained in appendix B of this subpart.

(d) Proposals for Interstate route numbering shall be submitted by the State transportation agency to the Route Numbering Committee of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.

Jmiles32

Quote from: CanesFan27 on September 15, 2018, 05:51:13 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on September 15, 2018, 02:12:01 PM

Guys, AASHTO has no determination and is not and arbiter of Interstate Standards.  That is the Federal Highway Administration's role and responsibility.

If anything, AASHTO will Conditionally Approve pending FHWA approval.  NCDOT's application does NOT include the 2003 letter from the FHWA - so AASHTO could fall on that but as for Interstate standards, they are going to defer to the FHWA.
My bad I get AASHTO and the FHWA mixed up sometimes.

QuoteSo then why did they take the Interstate 295 signs down in the first place?  If the thought was because the highway didn't meet Interstate standards was correct, then why would have the FHWA approved the highway in 2003?  They must have agreed it was up to standard, right?
Anyone know the answer to this?   
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on September 15, 2018, 07:15:26 AM
Quote from: sparker on September 15, 2018, 02:20:17 AMSomehow, I don't think the substandard I-95/future I-295/US 13 interchange will escape scrutiny

Those bridges won't escape it either, given how anal AASHTO and FHWA are about standards these days. I'll be stunned if AASHTO goes along with this.

I'm also in agreement with Adam. I thought I-295 was a done deal years ago and that all NCDOT had to do was upgrade the substandard bridges and rebuild the I-95/US-13 interchange and let FHWA know then BAM! I-295 shields could then be posted.

Hell, I still can't figure out why NCDOT went through AASHTO earlier this year to get I-285 for US-52 between Winston-Salem and Lexington right after FHWA had given it's thumbs up. NCDOT didn't do that for I-87 on the Knightdale Bypass.

AASHTO Approved no questions asked.

https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/10/018_Report-to-CHS_USRN-Application-Results-AM-2018.pdf

froggie

AASHTO approves the route number.  It's still FHWA's call.

CanesFan27

Quote from: froggie on October 04, 2018, 01:34:42 PM
AASHTO approves the route number.  It's still FHWA's call.

The details of the November 20, 2003 letter would solve that question.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 04, 2018, 01:28:38 PM

https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/10/018_Report-to-CHS_USRN-Application-Results-AM-2018.pdf
So they approved 295, but not 285?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

jcarte29

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 05, 2018, 10:10:04 AM

They approved 285 a while back, just waitin for sign plans.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Strider

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 05, 2018, 10:10:04 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 04, 2018, 01:28:38 PM

I-285 will be signed by the end of this year.

bob7374

According to the latest NCDOT letting changes report, the letting of the final I-295 construction project from Camden Road to Strickland Bridge Road which was to occur in January has now been delayed until May 2019 due to conflicts over Right-of-Way issues. Full report: https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/NOVEMBER%202018%20CHANGES%20REPORT.pdf

(Good news to report for I-87 fans, the project that will repave and widen the shoulders of US 64 to interstate standards in Martin County has been accelerated from Oct. to Sept. 2019 due to funding availability.)

bob7374

Right of Way issues have delayed construction of the final two segments of the Fayetteville Outer Loop (Future I-295). The first segment from US 401 to Strickland Bridge Rd that was to have been let next month is now to be let in September 2019. The second segment from Strickland Bridge Rd to Camden Rd has been delayed from September 2019 to March 2020. The March 2019 changes summary to the 12 month tentative letting list can be found at:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/MARCH%202019%20CHANGES%20REPORT.pdf

LM117

As I mentioned in the Virginia thread during a side discussion, FHWA has added the completed sections of NC-295 to the interstate system as I-295. I don't know if the signs have been changed yet.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/interstate_highway_system/routefinder/table02.cfm

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/interstate_highway_system/routefinder/table03.cfm

Apparently, they must've granted waivers for the substandard bridges and the US-13 interchange.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on July 23, 2019, 10:08:36 AM
As I mentioned in the Virginia thread during a side discussion, FHWA has added the completed sections of NC-295 to the interstate system as I-295. I don't know if the signs have been changed yet.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/interstate_highway_system/routefinder/table02.cfm

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/interstate_highway_system/routefinder/table03.cfm

Apparently, they must've granted waivers for the substandard bridges and the US-13 interchange.
I checked the Division 6 (which includes Cumberland County) letting list, there's no project so far this year, either awarded or advertised, that deals with replacing the NC 295 signage. Perhaps it will be done as part of signing the next section of the Loop to be opened late this year or early next between the All American Freeway and Cliffdale Road.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on July 23, 2019, 11:24:58 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 23, 2019, 10:08:36 AM

I checked the Division 6 (which includes Cumberland County) letting list, there's no project so far this year, either awarded or advertised, that deals with replacing the NC 295 signage. Perhaps it will be done as part of signing the next section of the Loop to be opened late this year or early next between the All American Freeway and Cliffdale Road.

I agree. Funny thing about FHWA's logs is that on their website, they say the tables were updated back in May, but the tables themselves say they're accurate as of December 31, 2018, so the I-295 approval must've happened sometime late last year. NCDOT still hasn't posted FHWA's approval letter on their Route Changes page yet.

tolbs17

I like I-295 how it's coming along nicely. I'm not sure why Wikipedia has it labeled as 'bypass'. I say it's more of a loop. Bypasses are for going around a city.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.