News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicHasClass

Noticed a CA 30 come up on eBay (I have one given to me by SANBAG plus the old Temporary 30, both of which used to be in the City of San Bernardino), but it looked odd.

The seller said it had never been posted. That seemed plausible enough, but you look through their other stuff and nothing is CA MUTCD, though they all carry PROPERTY STATE OF CALIFORNIA (but even that stamp doesn't look *quite* right). I'm wondering if these are actually fake replicas. Anyone know this person?

https://www.ebay.com/usr/authentic_ca_sign_guy

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 31, 2023, 11:37:10 AM
Noticed a CA 30 come up on eBay (I have one given to me by SANBAG plus the old Temporary 30, both of which used to be in the City of San Bernardino), but it looked odd.

The seller said it had never been posted. That seemed plausible enough, but you look through their other stuff and nothing is CA MUTCD, though they all carry PROPERTY STATE OF CALIFORNIA (but even that stamp doesn't look *quite* right). I'm wondering if these are actually fake replicas. Anyone know this person?

This guy is peddling home made signs.  The numeric font is way off (it has improved since he started selling) and I don't think the shade of green is quite right.  I don't necessarily have an issue with selling modern replicas but his posting says that they are "authentic" when they clearly aren't. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 31, 2023, 11:49:35 AM

This guy is peddling home made signs.  The numeric font is way off (it has improved since he started selling) and I don't think the shade of green is quite right.  I don't necessarily have an issue with selling modern replicas but his posting says that they are "authentic" when they clearly aren't. 

"This is a 100% authentic sign that has not yet had the chance to make it on the roadway."

Someone needs to report this guy.  I don't use eBay;  is there a way to do that?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2023, 12:17:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 31, 2023, 11:49:35 AM

"This is a 100% authentic sign that has not yet had the chance to make it on the roadway."

Someone needs to report this guy.  I don't use eBay;  is there a way to do that?

There is, but chances are they won't act.  There are some other scammers I have reported over the years.  I've found eBay is very cautious dealing with them lacking overt evidence.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 176 shield.  This highway was relinquished in 1984:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

ClassicHasClass

Nice find. The decommissioned shields in my collection are a TEMPORARY CA 30 (still has the green TEMPORARY tab) and a CA 274.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a Plumas County Route A15 shield:

ClassicHasClass

That's a nice one. I have a San Diego S15 with an END assembly.

Max Rockatansky

For some reason I have several A range County Route signs.

ClassicHasClass

How old is that A25? That looks 1960s-ish.

Max Rockatansky

I suspect it is one of the original signs.  Lassen County did a bunch of sign replacements a couple years back and pulled a lot of older and smaller stuff.

Scott5114

Neat sort-of-not-quite-right custom font on the A25.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 82 shield:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.