News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 07, 2020, 12:39:18 PM
I think with Sears and Kmart, we are to the point that they should just list the stores that are going to remain open, and if your store is not listed, it's either closed or in the process.  It's hard to believe some people in the business world have thought that these stores will come out of this.  This has been a 40 year process of decay, accelerated in the past 25 years.
There's only ~70-75 Kmart's left.

There were at least 1000 as late as 2015.  Their store count peaked near 2000 in the early 2000s.

US71

I think with Sears and Kmart, we are to the point that they should just list the stores that are going to remain open, and if your store is not listed, it's either closed or in the process.  It's hard to believe some people in the business world have thought that these stores will come out of this.  This has been a 40 year process of decay, accelerated in the past 25 years.

Should never have merge Sears and K-Mart.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

RobbieL2415

Quote from: US71 on February 08, 2020, 12:24:39 PM

Should never have merge Sears and K-Mart.
I think a merger could have worked if they consolidated and streamlined their operations.  I made a post on one of the related threads that there's no systems integration between the divisions, so you can't do things like process returns at either store or order items from each other's store through the registers.

BTW, yes, Kmart's old registers could create online orders.  I liked it better than using the computer.

catch22

Another Sears to add to the list is Livonia, Michigan.

https://www.hometownlife.com/story/money/business/2020/02/10/livonia-sears-closing-only-two-michigan-stores-remain/4712628002/

This will leave just two Sears (Grandville, Westland) and one Kmart (Marshall) in Michigan.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

thenetwork

Quote from: catch22 on February 10, 2020, 07:57:33 PM

https://www.hometownlife.com/story/money/business/2020/02/10/livonia-sears-closing-only-two-michigan-stores-remain/4712628002/

This will leave just two Sears (Grandville, Westland) and one Kmart (Marshall) in Michigan.

When I would visit my Aunt and Uncle in Livonia, more often than not we'd always wind up going to the Livonia Mall Sears for one reason or another.  Didnt realize the rest of the mall is long gone.

Meanwhile, I just went by the Kmart in the other Farmington (NM, NOT MI), and that store and parking lot looks as depressing as a scared little kid in a fetal position. Glad to see they are finally putting that store out of its misery.

catch22

Quote from: thenetwork on February 10, 2020, 08:21:56 PM
Quote from: catch22 on February 10, 2020, 07:57:33 PM

When I would visit my Aunt and Uncle in Livonia, more often than not we'd always wind up going to the Livonia Mall Sears for one reason or another.  Didnt realize the rest of the mall is long gone.

Meanwhile, I just went by the Kmart in the other Farmington (NM, NOT MI), and that store and parking lot looks as depressing as a scared little kid in a fetal position. Glad to see they are finally putting that store out of its misery.

A Walmart and Kohl's, along with a few small outlot stores, now occupy the old Livonia Mall space.

I can remember as a kid going to this Sears and my dad having to hunt for a parking spot, sometimes having to wait for someone to leave.  I drove by a few days ago and there were about 20 cars in the lot.

RobbieL2415

One of the two flagships in Manhattan is closing, Penn Station.

D-Dey65

In the days when Sears in Brooksville was closing (actually there was another Sears which was really in Brooksville, but I'll deal with that on another post), I bought a cheap toy that I donated to the local Toys for Tots, and I found out there was one Sears left in Metro Tampa Bay. It's in Brandon, and I can probably guess where in Brandon it is.

As for KMart I can't find one anywhere in this area, and as I stated in my previous post, never found the one near Penn Station.

Slightly OT, where's that thread on defunct gas stations, and restaurants, and what not? Because I swear I spotted an OTB in Wikimedia Commons that looks like it used to be an old Howard Johnson's.

TheHighwayMan3561

Kmart in Minneapolis on Lake Street and Nicollet Avenue will close, though the reason for this has been a long-stated goal for the city to buy the property because it cuts off Nicollet. This was the last remaining Kmart in Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-will-buy-out-kmart-lease-reopen-nicollet/568526262/?fbclid=IwAR3AUtjKji0AS0mq-pxWhDRNd2GncIVb5WtXq0C7pD5hnc5u4Oix5no72aU
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SP Cook

Just found out my local K-Mart, which has been closed for over a year, will be torn down and replaced by a Kroger Marketplace, and the 30+ year old Kroger next door will become an Ollie's Outlet (seconds and rejects store). 

Flint1979

Quote from: SP Cook on March 05, 2020, 02:47:16 PM
Just found out my local K-Mart, which has been closed for over a year, will be torn down and replaced by a Kroger Marketplace, and the 30+ year old Kroger next door will become an Ollie's Outlet (seconds and rejects store).
That's been happening around the Detroit area with Kroger Marketplace. Some of them are remodeled Super Kmart's.

thenetwork

Just to show you how bass-ackward the "Officials" are at Kmart, heres an article on the Farmington NM store closing (the last in NM).  Signs are up but the Kmart spokesmen still will not confirm nor comment on the closure.

https://www.daily-times.com/story/news/local/farmington/2020/03/05/officemax-kmart-stores-close-farmington-new-mexico/4952721002/

Flint1979

S.S. Kresge is rolling over in his grave.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 05, 2020, 07:58:59 PM
S.S. Kresge is rolling over in his grave.
He'd go after Fast Eddie in a heartbeat lol
Unfortunately his ship sailed away years ago.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on March 05, 2020, 02:47:16 PM

I'm a big fan of Ollie's.

In Frankfort, the Kmart was replaced by a Harbor Freight Tools and a Big Lots. I don't know if the building was torn down and a new one built, or if the old one was remodeled.

I'm not a fan of those Kroger Marketplace stores.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

With some construction in the Detroit area along I-75 I used Dequindre to get from 8 Mile to 10 Mile passing the Warren Kmart at 10 Mile and Dequindre it wasn't open so it's already been closed. I didn't go past the old Kmart in Waterford which I'm sure is closed now as well. Leaving Marshall officially as the last Kmart in Michigan.

Exit, I drove past the Waterford Kmart the next day and it has also already closed. So we are officially down to one Kmart in Michigan (Marshall) and even with no Walmart, Meijer or Target in the immediate area I can't imagine how much longer that Kmart will last even if it's profitable it's several miles to the next closest location. You have to go to Battle Creek for Walmart, Meijer or Target.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.