News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 10:30:38 PM
Can't remember if anyone posted these before, but the entrance overhead guidance signs to a Petro truck stop that proclaims itself as a welcome center just north of Waterloo, NY:

Off-Topic / Re: Business Marquees which fe...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 10:27:14 PM
Used to drive past this one almost every day for about six years.

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Michigan Notes
Last post by Rothman - Today at 10:24:43 PM
Quote from: michiganguy123 on Today at 07:45:20 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2024, 10:44:36 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 18, 2024, 12:54:03 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 17, 2024, 09:34:06 PM
QuoteWhat's the highest speed someone has blown past a state trooper without getting pulled over?

I *have* done 85 in a 70 and had MSP *try* to pull me over. It was just before an exit where the road went downhill out of sight of the officer. I took the exit. The trooper didn't. My driving record didn't get more points on it that day.

Lucky! I was in a similar situation on NY 104 once, definitely speeding but don't remember my speed. I saw the cop pull out behind me, but far enough back that I wasn't sure if he was after me or not. I sure didn't bother to find out, and bailed at the next exit as soon as I got around the bend and out of his view. I turned right ASAP and wound my way back to the highway on backroads just to be sure. A hair raising experience to be sure.
Driving sure seems simpler staying within 10 mph of the speed limit.  Now if only the northeast would raise its speed limits so I could go exactly the speed limit (without substantially affecting my travel time) and make it simpler still; while most places won't pull you over for 5-7 over, some do, and that's even more common with cameras.

They raise the speed limit, people will go 10+ over that...hence the biggest reason why the speed limits are kept low up here.

When Michigan increased speed limits to 75mph in the rural areas, most people still only do 80mph. The speed limits were supposed to be set to 80mph because everyone is driving that speed already but was changed in order for the bill to be passed.
80mph is like the perfect speed for a freeway, any higher and fuel efficiency greatly decreases. Speeds are pretty much the same on the 70 and 75mph sections, both speed limits, the normal flow is 80mph

I agree with the 80mph speed being perfect, but Michiganders are silly. :D 

Have to say that the higher speeds I hit do take a toll on my mileage.  I do wonder what the magic speed is where you get somewhere faster without incurring additional gas stops.
General Highway Talk / Re: How are 3 digit interstate...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 10:20:47 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on Today at 07:53:53 PM1.  So basically when choosing which even or odd 1st digit, there is no rule, things vary by state?
2.  Why is the DC beltway 495 and the Baltimore 695?
3.  If a 3 digit interstate ends at another interstate it must be even, correct, EVEN if that interstate is not an offshoot of 2 digit (Fictionally 387 starts at 87 and ends at 684)?

1) Yes.
2) Sometimes, there is little reason behind the numbering.
3) No.
Northeast / Re: NYC Roads
Last post by Rothman - Today at 10:18:30 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on Today at 09:16:30 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: crispy93 on Today at 08:55:26 AMLooks like NYC will soon be able to lower its default speed limit (again) to 20 mph this time: https://archive.is/v6Gax

Meh.  25 mph was a good one.  If enforcement isn't cutting it now, it certainly won't at 20.
I guess the people calling for this are forgetting that we have cars so we can go faster than horses and buggies. That and not having to leave horse or other animal shit on the streets. Are they seriously trying to bring us back to 19th Century speed limits?

I don't know.  I know some people floor it and then smash their brakes when lights turn on Manhattan -- and then subsequently must get brake work done every six months -- but, 25 mph is a good NY speed limit in my experience.  Sure, you can hit 35 or so, but any faster than that, you become one of those bad drivers that never misses a turn, which ticks everyone off, locals and whoever else alike.
Central States / Re: Oklahoma
Last post by Rothman - Today at 10:15:34 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 09:34:36 PMWe must be living in 2 different universes.

Given the states you two hail from, yes.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia Turnpike
Last post by plain - Today at 09:48:27 PM
Quote from: GCrites on Today at 08:21:34 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on Today at 05:32:01 PMPlus most Turnpike non-local traffic passes thru Beckley whether they come in from US-19, I-68 or from either end of I-77. So everyone would hit at least one toll barrier regardless.

That's likely why Beckley got the big service plaza and the other two are smaller. Going all the way back to when you could access all three plazas from both directions.

Terrain might have played the biggest role at Morton. As far as Bluestone is concerned, not sure. Costs may have been a factor also, at both.

The Beckley plaza has Tamarack nearby, so that may have been a factor of connecting both directions to it.
Sports / Re: Arizona Coyotes players ap...
Last post by Henry - Today at 09:35:25 PM
Just as we expected: Ryan and Ashley Smith (the new team owners) have already determined that the new name will include Utah to match their other team, the Jazz. More details to come later on, possibly this summer...
Central States / Re: Oklahoma
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 09:34:36 PM
We must be living in 2 different universes. Then because from what i've seen, the issue hardly extends to lawton Only. The 4 lane highway bullshit that is built is a statewide thing Oklahoma does. If a lot of money is being spent there it doesn't show.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by Henry - Today at 09:31:00 PM
Exit 880 off I-10, aka the highest exit number anywhere in America:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.