News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by cockroachking - Today at 01:06:43 PM
MD-482 > MD-485

This is probably the dumbest signed route in Maryland, which is a pretty high bar, given some of the roads that are signed.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 12:59:02 PM
Canada / Re: Ontario's Highways
Last post by vdeane - Today at 12:55:01 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on Today at 10:17:06 AM
Quote from: Chris on April 25, 2024, 02:53:08 PMA map showing the 110 km/h sections.

Interesting that they're giving 110 to the 406.  That's honestly a shock to me.  Assuming that's between Exits 11 & East Main St roundabout?
Meanwhile, I find it curious that the Kingston-ON 16 section of ON 401 was omitted.  That, 401 west of Toronto, most of the rest of 400, and 407 strike me as the major "missing links" for 110 kph.

Now if only Québec would get on board...
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by gonealookin - Today at 12:54:25 PM
It's looking good for early May openings of Sonora and Ebbetts Passes this year.  Those are especially pretty drives when there's still a lot of snow on the mountains.

https://twitter.com/Caltrans9/status/1783884977924604255
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by kalvado - Today at 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: akotchi on Today at 10:02:55 AMThe silver dollars (Morgan and Peace) circulated.  Currency existed, though not sure if it was that prevalent at the time.

Currency took over during the 36-year gap between dollar coin issuance, which also saw the elimination of precious metal (silver) from the coin.  I have to believe that this gap doomed the relevance of a dollar coin (especially one that large) while a dollar bill circulated.

Even with the smaller coin, dollar bills still rule -- who wants a pile of dollar coins in their pocket?  I see dollar coins mainly at train/subway stations.  As long as dollar bills are still made, no dollar coin of any type will circulate widely.  Any that are made now, Native American or American Innovation, are for collectors (not for circulation).  And . . . the U.S. Mint still makes money making money.

Canada and Europe seem to do well without 1 and 2 dollar/euro bills.
It's been a while since I used cash as a primary payment method... but back then coins were flowing both ways for me, and I would be OK with pretty large nomination coins as long as they were not too heavy.  Carrying coins, except for a stray coin or two,  isn't really a thing for me any more.  Most wallets are cards-and-bills these days anyway. 
Today, coins are mostly tossed into the bowl - and recently I dumped $120 worth of change into a change machine. If there were dollar coins in that mix... I would likely be less comfortable with parking that much money on a shelf, but what would that mean in reality? More frequent bank visits or less cash overall? 
I am not sure what I would do if I got $1-2-3 into that bowl instead of 25-50 cents each time I buy coffee for cash.
Key Bridge
I-95 Northeast Philly
Mianus River Bridge (as a young passenger prior to collapse; driver after)
Scoharie Creek on NY Thruway(after as passenger)
I-95 in Bridgeport, CT before tanker truck fire
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by NWI_Irish96 - Today at 12:23:02 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on Today at 10:53:04 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on Today at 10:46:33 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on Today at 10:10:36 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 09:08:46 AMIf I were a Falcons fan, I'd be pissed. Thankfully I think my Vikes had a good night.

Likewise as a Bears fan, the Falcons taking Penix allowed Rome Odunze to make it to the Bears at 9 so no complaints here. I thought Williams+Odunze would be too good to be true after the reports of them working out with DJ Moore & Keenan Allen and then flying into Detroit together, but here we are!

Bears social media was also quick to (both sarcastically & seriously) point out Ryan Pace's presence in the Falcons front office perhaps contributing to the situation - remember the Glennon/Trubisky situation in 2017?

It still blows my mind that Lovie Smith, knowing he was getting fired anyway, decided to go for it on a 4th & 20, miraculously scored a touchdown, and then went for 2 and converted for the win to give the Bears the 1st-overall last year. Then from there, the fateful Bryce Young trade has thus far turned into DJ Moore, Darnell Wright, Tyrique Stevenson, and of course now Caleb Williams (you can even possibly count Keenan Allen - the 4th-rounder traded to LAC was the one received from PHI in the Carter-Wright 9-10 swap last year), with an additional 2nd-rounder still to come next year. What a trade :sombrero:

I'd rather Odunze not have been available because the Bears need a first round LT or EDGE way more than they need a first round WR.

Joe Alt would have been a great pick at 9 if he had made it that far, and I imagine that the Bears would have traded down and gone defense had Odunze been taken before 9. An EDGE to pair with Sweat definitely strikes me as the biggest remaining need, as for LT I guess Braxton Jones gets at least one more year to prove it now. My bigger concern on the o-line was C - Bates is probably fine for the short-term, and Powers-Johnson isn't happening barring some sort of crazy trade-up to the early 2nd round.

Alt was never going to make it to 9. Still, Fashanu at LT or Turner at EDGE would have helped more than Odunze. You can get a fine 3rd WR in the third round.
Last post by jmacswimmer - Today at 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: webny99 on Today at 11:59:07 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on Today at 10:44:33 AM
Quote(you can even possibly count Keenan Allen - the 4th-rounder traded to LAC was the one received from PHI in the Carter-Wright 9-10 swap last year)

Wasn't that a separate trade though? I'm not seeing how that pick was part of the trade haul from Carolina.

The #9 pick that the Bears traded to PHI was one of the picks they got from CAR, and the 4th Round pick they got from the PHI trade was used to acquire Allen, so it does count as part of that haul.

That value was still obtained from Philly, not Carolina, but I guess it's kind of inseparable.

I actually had it backwards after going back to double-check - the Bears traded their original 4th-rounder to LAC for Allen and still hold the 4th from Philly. So whomever gets picked in that slot on Saturday would be the one to arguably included in the haul, not Allen.
Last post by webny99 - Today at 11:59:07 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on Today at 10:44:33 AM
Quote(you can even possibly count Keenan Allen - the 4th-rounder traded to LAC was the one received from PHI in the Carter-Wright 9-10 swap last year)

Wasn't that a separate trade though? I'm not seeing how that pick was part of the trade haul from Carolina.

The #9 pick that the Bears traded to PHI was one of the picks they got from CAR, and the 4th Round pick they got from the PHI trade was used to acquire Allen, so it does count as part of that haul.

That value was still obtained from Philly, not Carolina, but I guess it's kind of inseparable.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.