News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

The Causeway Commission held a public forum Wednesday night about proposed changes to make the southbound Causeway Bridge safer...to mixed reviews from the public.

Citizens give Causeway officials mixed reviews on bridge safety, proposed railing improvements

pctech

I drove across the Veterans Memorial bridge (Gramercy-Wallace) for the  first time this past weekend. As bridges go it's not all that notable. (does have a pretty steep grade on the approaches.) Wasn't this planned as a part of 4 lane highway or expressway to the Houma-Thibodaux area from I-10?

brownpelican

I'm pretty sure it WASN'T in the plans to build an expressway or four lane highway to Houma-Thibidaux. I'm know it was built to replace the ferry in the area (as was the Audubon and Boggs bridges).

mcdonaat

Quote from: brownpelican on August 31, 2014, 06:31:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it WASN'T in the plans to build an expressway or four lane highway to Houma-Thibidaux. I'm know it was built to replace the ferry in the area (as was the Audubon and Boggs bridges).
This, and I think that upgrading the highway to four lanes if planned in the future could be done a little easier if the bridge is 4 lanes. Drive across the Audubon Bridge, and you'll see that LA 10 gets hardly any traffic, but the ROW is cleared for a four-lane highway.

I prefer the Sunshine Bridge, honestly.

pctech

If it was to simply replace the Gramercy ferry it was a big waste of money as there wasn't much traffic on it. It is a 4 lane bridge and I seem to  remember a DODT map with a projected freeway from there to the Thibodaux/Houma  area. The Sunshine bridge is part of a proposed toll road/freeway to the Morgan City area that was never constructed

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: pctech on September 03, 2014, 02:04:45 PM
If it was to simply replace the Gramercy ferry it was a big waste of money as there wasn't much traffic on it. It is a 4 lane bridge and I seem to  remember a DODT map with a projected freeway from there to the Thibodaux/Houma  area. The Sunshine bridge is part of a proposed toll road/freeway to the Morgan City area that was never constructed

When it was originally constructed, the Sunshine Bridge only connected river bank to river bank and no other roads, so it was in an similar situation. Of course the approaches have been improved so it is much more useful now. The Gramercy bridge would be very useful as part of a four lane north-south link to Houma-Thibodaux. LA 20 is narrow and winding and just doesn't meet modern standards. LA 1 is not particularly narrow, but is winding and indirect.

brownpelican

Get ready for 18 months of lane closures on the Horace Wilkinson Bridge in Baton Rouge, starting today.

Get ready for 18 months of lane closures on the I-10 Mississippi River Bridge in Baton Rouge

pctech

Quote from: brownpelican on September 09, 2014, 04:16:48 PM
Get ready for 18 months of lane closures on the Horace Wilkinson Bridge in Baton Rouge, starting today.

Get ready for 18 months of lane closures on the I-10 Mississippi River Bridge in Baton Rouge
That'll make driving on I-10 thru Baton Rouge even more a treat! :-)

cjk374

I drove I-220 Saturday night when I noticed that many of the BGSs had been replaced.

A big deal?  Kinda sorta.  Many of the exits have new control points.  Most of the signs are the originals hung when the interstate was built in the early 70s (all of the BGSs are on overhead gantries except one or two recent installations).  As of now, these new signs are only on the Bossier City side of the Red River, extruded sheet (the originals were flat panel), and in clearview.  X-(  :ded:

Here are the changes in control points I noticed:

1)  Exit 26 is no longer listed as "Racetrack"...changed to East Texas St.

2)  Exit 12 was Airline Drive/Bossier City...Bossier City has been removed.

3)  Exit 11 was Benton/Bossier City...now changed to Benton Rd.

The changes to exit 11 I really disagree with the most.  There was nothing wrong with having those towns listed as control points.  But then again, no one asked me for my thoughts.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bassoon1986

I always wondered when Bossier City might change their BGSs to the street names. 220 is well into the city limits and the growth has exploded in that area. I wonder if North Market St. may replace the 1/71 exit across the river once I-49 north has an exit with Texarkana.

jbnv

Listing street names in urban areas is the new norm in Louisiana. I expect that the Hammond exits will eventually get their street names, and I-12 Exit 10 will eventually be "Range St." rather than "Denham Springs."
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

bassoon1986

Slidell also has done this on I-10, and Lafayette switched one exit for LA 182 a while back. The Denham Springs main exit would make sense now that the new exit displays a street name. All they need is to show "Denham Springs next 2 exits" and replace the destination with Range St.

Grzrd

brownpelican

The family of a man who was dozing off on the Causeway when his vehicle went over the bridge has filed a lawsuit.

Family of man who drove off Causeway Bridge sues

pctech

I made the drive to Houma from Baton Rouge about a month ago. Noticed that La. 20 goes all 4 cardinal directions according to the signs. Obviously DODT doesn't follow a uniform direction system like US. routes do. The condition of the highways from Vacherie on the west side of the river to Houma are pretty bad. This route could stand being upgraded to a 4 lane highway as traffic was pretty heavy at times.

cjk374

Quote from: pctech on December 11, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
I made the drive to Houma from Baton Rouge about a month ago. Noticed that La. 20 goes all 4 cardinal directions according to the signs. Obviously DODT doesn't follow a uniform direction system like US. routes do. The condition of the highways from Vacherie on the west side of the river to Houma are pretty bad. This route could stand being upgraded to a 4 lane highway as traffic was pretty heavy at times.

Try this on for size:  In Quitman, LA where the old US 167 made the 90 degree turn at the Chevron station, LA 155 also makes a 90 degree turn going the opposite way of old 167.  If you are looking at the 2 legs of LA 155 (straight ahead and to your left), both of the reassurance signs say you are going south!   :confused:

brownpelican

Streetcar construction begins Monday on North Rampart Street in the French Quarter.

Neighbors brace for headaches from North Rampart streetcar construction

texaskdog

Quote from: brownpelican on December 10, 2014, 11:11:01 PM
The family of a man who was dozing off on the Causeway when his vehicle went over the bridge has filed a lawsuit.

Jerk.  They ought to countersue for him being a moron.

brownpelican

Speeders on the Causeway, beware: Air patrols will begin soon.

Air patrols of speeders on Causeway to begin soon

cjk374

Frank Davis Naturally N'awlins Bridge....where is that?  I've never heard of that one.

codyg1985

Quote from: brownpelican on December 10, 2014, 11:11:01 PM

Because clearly the bridge made the guy doze off and hit the barrier.  :banghead:
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

freebrickproductions

Why don't they sue to maker of the car while they are at it because the car didn't wake the guy up?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

apjung

Quote from: cjk374 on January 15, 2015, 06:40:15 AM
Frank Davis Naturally N'awlins Bridge....where is that?  I've never heard of that one.

It's also known as the I-10 Twin Span bridge before it was renamed in August of 2014 in Honor of the late Frank Davis of WWL-TV in New Orleans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Davis_%22Naturally_N%27Awlins%22_Memorial_Bridge

"Naturally N'awlins" was a popular weekly news segment on WWL-TV Eyewitness News with Frank Davis reporting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdBFpMbuB2o

He also frequently fished near the bridge now named for him and also in the weekly Fishing Game Report on WWL-TV Eyewitness News
http://www.wwltv.com/story/life/food/recipes/frank-davis/2014/08/28/14387962/

NE2

Quote from: apjung on January 15, 2015, 10:44:02 PM
It's also known as the I-10 Twin Span bridge before it was renamed in August of 2014.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Davis_%22Naturally_N%27Awlins%22_Memorial_Bridge
Not renamed, just given another name that nobody will probably use.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

apjung

So, at the same time I posted my previous reply, the name on Wikipedia was reverted back to the I-10 Twin Span Bridge.

So I guess until the day more people start calling it the "Frank Davis Bridge", the article will remain as "I-10 Twin Span Bridge" in the foreseeable future. How about the Crescent City Connection that was renamed in 1989? Some people (ie. my parents) are still calling it by the old name GNO or Greater New Orleans Bridge. Even I still dislike the current tacky CCC name that some schoolchildren came up with. I like to imagine had Wikipedia existed back then would it had faced a similar situation on what name to use?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.