Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Sonic99 - Today at 07:11:57 AM
I would have to suspect that they will lean heavily towards the replacement being larger and taller to accommodate the growth of the port. If you have to build a new one, might as well future-proof by going taller and wider. You'd have to suspect that once the new one is up (lets assume 200-220 ft clearance) the push to replace the Annapolis Bay Bridges will escalate. Given that those two are 72 and 51 years old respectively, their replacement would be coming within the next decade or so you would think. And at that point, it would be silly to build a new 50-75 year replacement of the Key and not have it be prepared for future freight needs.
Road Trips / Re: 2024 Road Trip Plans
Last post by Quillz - Today at 06:54:50 AM
I'm hoping this is the year I finally drive over Westgard Pass. Problem is I just don't know how to turn it into a meaningful trip. I was thinking of maybe then going south into Death Valley, or loop back around to the Mono Lake area.
General Highway Talk / Re: Most hated sections of roa...
Last post by Quillz - Today at 06:46:26 AM
An oddly specific regional example: Exits 29 and 28 on "southbound" US-101. Problem here is Exit 28 is like a quarter mile or so after Exit 29, so it's one of those weaving instances where oncoming traffic moves to the left, outgoing traffic moves to the right. Then Exit 28 dumps onto a tiny neighborhood street with two stop signs, so you end up with a huge line of traffic in the right lane that can only move one car at a time. This lane is dangerous most times of the day because of the amount of traffic. The exit was obviously designed during the earlier days of the Ventura Freeway when traffic counts were much lower. For years I've been thinking about ways this exit could be improved. Perhaps signal lights on the side road? A total redesign featuring a trumpet off-ramp?
General Highway Talk / Re: Shortest US Highway Non-Ma...
Last post by Quillz - Today at 06:41:27 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on March 22, 2024, 12:09:53 PMBasically, 1964 California was "let's give every state-maintained route a theoretical sign number"
Oregon ended up doing that starting in 2002 or so. Explains some of the 5xx routes. Another reason I've always been in favor of county routes working more like logical extensions, rather than independent systems. No doubt a lot of routes in California could have benefited from signage and just letting someone other than the state maintain them. (Kind of like relinquishment, but with better signage).
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Quillz - Today at 06:33:47 AM
People would probably think I'm lying about what I witnessed that one night in Alaska, too. I get it, we have all experienced stuff we would best want to forget. I've been nervous about going back to "the dome" ever since.
Welcome! / Re: Forum functionality issues
Last post by rickmastfan67 - Today at 06:33:04 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on March 27, 2024, 07:55:07 PMI checked off several topics to receive both alerts and e-mails, but no e-mails were received even though there are new posts in those topics. They're not in my junk folder either. Also I was having the same problem in the old forum but I hoped it would be corrected with this revision.

Emails are currently broken.  No idea why.  So, don't expect any from the forum at this time.
Suggestions and Questions / Re: NEW features
Last post by rickmastfan67 - Today at 06:30:18 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 27, 2024, 08:05:46 PM
Quote from: Techknow on March 26, 2024, 11:47:07 PMAt the top of any page in the forum there's a highlight-able button that when clicked, shows links to your profile, posts, among other things.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 02:56:42 AMThere's a bar at the top of the screen with your avatar in it.  Click that and then click the big avatar, and that takes you to your profile.

Found it, thank you both.

I also like that the entire thread is now visible when typing a post, instead of just recent replies. That makes it a lot easier to insert multiple quotes as I did just now. Previously that required juggling multiple tabs.

You can also just click the avatar (or your name) in any post of yours.  That will also take you to your profile. ;)
Suggestions and Questions / Re: NEW features
Last post by rickmastfan67 - Today at 06:28:27 AM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on March 27, 2024, 07:33:34 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2024, 04:59:33 PMFor those of you who "at-ed" me (highlighed me by typing the @ sign and my username) -- nothing happened on my end. I didn't get any kind of notification when I logged in. Was I supposed to? Of course the only notifications I have highlighted to send an email to me are when I get a private message on the forum, so...

If you're on a computer, there's a little thing at the top left that says "Alerts". I saw some "notifications" in there telling me that people quoted me in threads yesterday. That might be where the @ notifications live.

That should be where it shows up.  I know that's where I find out when somebody 'likes' a post I've made.
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Login Issues
Last post by rickmastfan67 - Today at 06:24:37 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on March 27, 2024, 02:18:25 PMI tried doing that. I still can't log in from my computer. It won't accept my password and password reset emails won't go through

Emails being sent are still broken sadly.  No idea why.

Are you sure you fully cleared your cookies?  Have you tried a 'Private' window in your browser to see if you can login via that on your PC?  If it works in a Private window, that means not all cookies from the old forum have been cleared out in the normal windows.
General Highway Talk / Re: Exits that could be/should...
Last post by DandyDan - Today at 05:05:39 AM
I would add Exit 12 for I-35, the current north end of US 65, to this list. There isn't anything there you can't just as easily access from Exit 11, the old US 16 exit. Also, if you are going NB on I-35, but wish to eventually exit onto I-90, the next exit north, you have to watch for traffic from US 65. It strikes me as potentially dangerous.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.