News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-South / Re: April bid openings: $1.09 ...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 07:47:39 AM
Quote from: DNAguy on April 12, 2024, 01:23:48 PMAs a UT fan, any use of my tax dollars to help OU fans get to Dallas is a non-starter for me.

The governor as a fellow longhorn must stand up to such fiscal frivolousness.

He better not rollover and let out of state crimson and cream influences dictate Texas policy.

Suggesting that programming of transportation projects should be based not on actual need but on college football loyalties is absolutely unhinged behavior.
Quote from: hbelkins on April 26, 2024, 03:14:35 PMI got an email that I had received a personal message, but I don't see the option on the home page to access it. There used to be a "My Messages" notification on the home screen, but it's not there now.

Top bar, there's the "My Messages" button.  It's beside the "Alerts" text.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 07:15:31 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2024, 10:02:30 PMBut as Alex said, there's no word on when the new bridge will have a different name, so let's just assume that it'll also be called the Key Bridge.

It would be funny if they named it after John Locke.
I just discovered that the two expansion projects- Athens to Darwin and Five Points to Ravenswood- are now open for public comment (https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/projects/mega-projects/mega-projects/33-expansion). Here are a couple of interesting responses from the Q & A section of the webpage that provide insight to some of the questions raised here.

• As of early January, ODOT and WVDOH were working to select a consultant to study the Ravenswood bridge and direct connection to I-77. It will be interesting to see any proposed alternatives (if any) for a high-speed connection between I-77 and 33 westbound.
  • WVDOH has an upcoming deck replacement project for the existing Ravenswood Bridge.
  • ODOT specifically mentions re-evaluating the speed limit of 55 between the Nelsonville Bypass and Athens. I think it currently warrants an increase to 60, but there are a lot of low traffic access points with poor sight lines that may keep things at 55.
  • A pair of comments mention the connector to Bashan Rd near Racine, and I tend to agree with the concept. ODOT should build a new connector for the eastbound lanes to access Bashan Rd following the concept of the current 33-681 intersection near Darwin. This would prepare the road for a full interchange here and allow for realigning the intersection of Bashan and Bowmans Run Rds.
Traffic Control / Re: The road sign city name ph...
Last post by TBKS1 - Today at 01:57:41 AM
I don't have very many E- plays that don't end with another E, so here's this.

Grantsville -> Ennis, TX (taken 24 February 2024)

Mountain West / Re: US 93 In Arizona Progress
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 01:32:44 AM
TI is an Arizona DOT initialism for traffic interchange.  The "half TI" being discussed in the US 93/Pierce Ferry Road feasibility study would grade-separate some movements but not others and would necessarily be an interim improvement.
Northeast / Re: Pennsylvania
Last post by noelbotevera - Today at 01:18:49 AM
Penn State happens to publish old campus maps that I personally find interesting. I've yet to find a town map of State College in PSU libraries or published by the state, so for now this page has to suffice. Walking around campus, there's some geography notes I've found interesting:

• Allen Street was once the main street of State College, though Atherton Street replaced it beginning in the 1950s when it began to be expanded to four lanes north of campus. I have no idea how far north Allen Street went; currently it's chopped up into several pieces, with the northernmost piece stopped by development near I-99 / US 220. Even earlier than that, sometime before 1938, Allen Street was cut off by the construction of Pattee Library.
  • PA 45 was once on College Avenue in the 1940 map, but now bypasses State College to the south. Frazier Street was renamed Fraser Street at some point.
  • The east side of campus develops throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Aside from Beaver Stadium expanding, roads like University Drive and Bigler Road are constructed. Much of campus east of Shortlidge Road is still pretty empty (in the 1960 map, Eisenhower Auditorium doesn't exist, along with many of the chem/bio buildings now off Shortlidge).
  • The 1960 map still shows the Bellefonte Central RR, though I'm pretty sure the train station (now the bus station) wasn't used by this point.
  • 1992 map: what on earth are those phone numbers? I've seen 7 digit phone numbers (area code is implied), but never 5 digit ones. The only major changes between the 1992 map and today is the construction of the IST Building (1999-2000; cut off Pollock's connection to Atherton, and then Curtin was extended to restore this connection) and cut off of Shortlidge Road (2004). Also a lot more buildings have been built in the last 30 years.

General Highway Talk / Re: Canadian MUTCD???
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 01:16:00 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 26, 2024, 11:16:38 PMI think our friends from north of the border would know the answer to this, but is there an online/PDF version of their MUTCD, similar to the American one? I've Googled it and found nothing so far.

The Transportation Association of Canada--a loose equivalent to AASHTO--publishes the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Canada.  Unlike its counterparts in the US and many other countries, it is not made available free of charge.

https://www.tac-atc.ca/en/publications-and-resources/mutcdc

As LilianaUwU notes, provinces tend to have their own design references for traffic signing.  Some make them available free of charge, while others do not.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by SSOWorld - Today at 01:02:28 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 26, 2024, 09:32:01 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 25, 2024, 09:08:07 AMDoes anybody know anything about the feud between "AAARoads" and "Horse Eye's Back" on Wikipedia? Because "Horse Eye's Back" is tagging a lot of articles as not meeting the General Notability Guidelines, even lists of roads.
Whoever AAAroads is, they're most likely a sockpuppet of someone who has attacked Horse Eye's Back in the past, and they're not affiliated with AARoads or the wiki in any way.
To be fair, since we have our own wiki now, we can refer to Wikipedia as The Other Wiki
Canada / Re: Ontario's Highways
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 12:13:25 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on April 26, 2024, 11:20:59 PMTHe Kingston-ON 16 section goes through the Canadian Shield and thus has relatively more curves than the section east of ON-16, so maybe that's why
Also, I've noticed there's a lot of original overpasses that result in the shoulder being cut.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.