News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old-style gantries still in use

Started by 1995hoo, January 27, 2021, 08:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I was thinking about the demise of the famous New Jersey Turnpike "art-deco" gantries southbound at Exit 6 and eastbound on the nearby Turnpike Extension and I found myself wondering how many older-style gantries are still out there. By that I don't mean situations where a state has made relatively minor changes in style of utilitarian gantry, such as going from the triangular truss arrangement to a box-style truss. I'm thinking more of older styles that you flat-out don't see in any form anymore except where they're left over.

What prompted me to think of this was the "Unauthorized routes" thread. I was thinking about the eastern half of the Capital Beltway being dual-signed as I-95 and I-495. That prompted me to look at that road's Wikipedia article, which had a reference to partial interchanges in Virginia and drivers on Route 123 being "expected" to know to stay on 123 to reach the southbound Beltway. That, in turn, reminded me of a very old gantry located on southbound 123 just before the Dulles exit, and it's that gantry that prompted me to start this thread.

Here is the gantry I'm thinking of: https://goo.gl/maps/uVrVNckYJMhpxBjZA

(As an example of what I don't mean, I don't mean a shift from this sort of thing to this sort of thing seen a very short distance away.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

Speaking of I-95/I-495, here's one that comes to mind that (I think) is the last of its kind left in Maryland:  The exit 27 ramp divide between I-95 north and the Weigh Station/Park & Ride.

There used to be more on I-95 north at the southern I-695 interchange, but these were replaced in 2019 with some sharp-looking (IMHO), non-clearview signs on box truss.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mapmikey

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 27, 2021, 08:46:55 AM
Speaking of I-95/I-495, here's one that comes to mind that (I think) is the last of its kind left in Maryland:  The exit 27 ramp divide between I-95 north and the Weigh Station/Park & Ride.

There used to be more on I-95 north at the southern I-695 interchange, but these were replaced in 2019 with some sharp-looking (IMHO), non-clearview signs on box truss.

One more of them remains at the I-95/495 interchange as of 4 days ago:
https://goo.gl/maps/7Ni3YeRSPMQfyqJBA  and

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 27, 2021, 09:28:50 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 27, 2021, 08:46:55 AM

One more of them remains at the I-95/495 interchange as of 4 days ago:
https://goo.gl/maps/7Ni3YeRSPMQfyqJBA  and

D'oh!  I've been thru that interchange so many times, I don't know how I forgot about the southbound one when typing my above post. :pan:

But yes, make that 2 of those gantries still kicking!  That gantry must have been SHA's preferred style during the time period the "between the beltways" segment was constructed.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

EpicRoadways

In Minnesota there used to be quite a few curved monotube-ish gantries, especially on lower-speed urban roads/junctions throughout the state. I'm not sure how old they are, but very few remain. Here's one that was removed a few years back in Red Wing. This is notable because (with the exception of the Saint Anthony Falls I-35W Bridge in Minneapolis) Minnesota doesn't use curved monotube gantries. More conventional monotube gantries (like this) are still used sparingly in new installations, but most of Minnesota's newer gantries have a triangular truss design like this.

I-35

Quote from: EpicRoadways on January 27, 2021, 09:55:47 AM
In Minnesota there used to be quite a few curved monotube-ish gantries, especially on lower-speed urban roads/junctions throughout the state. I'm not sure how old they are, but very few remain. Here's one that was removed a few years back in Red Wing. This is notable because (with the exception of the Saint Anthony Falls I-35W Bridge in Minneapolis) Minnesota doesn't use curved monotube gantries. More conventional monotube gantries (like this) are still used sparingly in new installations, but most of Minnesota's newer gantries have a triangular truss design like this.

Weird, it's exactly backwards in Oklahoma -  trusses are out and monotubes are now the preferred choice.  The monotubes are a much cleaner design, IMHO.

briantroutman

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 27, 2021, 08:27:26 AM

That style of enclosed gantry with the corrugated metal facia is still quite common in California–along with that state's wealth of non-reflective button copy signage. Here's one near my former home in Marin County: https://goo.gl/maps/bAUnkesj9rbJ9MUj7

Pennsylvania has a few these older sign support structures around, with at least a couple of them being on US 220 between I-180 and I-80: https://goo.gl/maps/f98UzA1NcbzRMrCj9

They're a bit unusual in that the horizontal truss structure of the sign "bridge"  (excuse my lack of proper terminology knowledge) extends beyond the vertical supports and connects diagonally with the footings at the base, giving the overall assembly an odd, top-heavy appearance.

TheHighwayMan3561

It's not monotube, but one assembly I found to be an oddball was this one at US 169 and MN 7 in St. Louis Park.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Most of the old brown structures with wire mesh backgrounds were removed from the interstates in Charleston, WV, several years ago when signs were replaced. But a few of the old gantries are still there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

EpicRoadways

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 27, 2021, 01:02:42 PM

It's not monotube, but one assembly I found to be an oddball was this one at US 169 and MN 7 in St. Louis Park.
There's a few of those scattered around the metro. MN-100 has several in the vicinity of Duluth Street and 36th Avenue and MN-610 has some around US-10 as well. Maybe they were some sort of test installation like 20 years ago that didn't perform well enough to see widespread use?

Scott5114

Quote from: I-35 on January 27, 2021, 11:23:13 AM

Weird, it's exactly backwards in Oklahoma -  trusses are out and monotubes are now the preferred choice.  The monotubes are a much cleaner design, IMHO.

Only in certain counties, though–urban counties get monotubes but rural still gets trusses, apparently. The only reason I suspect such a policy is that there was a project that spanned between Cleveland and McClain counties and replaced a bunch of signs. On the Cleveland side of the line, all monotubes. The signs on the McClain side got trusses.

This also only applies to free roads. The new turnpikes in the OKC area all use trusses.

I personally prefer the trusses because the monotubes look too clean. I know, intellectually, that the monotubes are designed to hold the weight of a sign. But visually, from a design standpoint, a single pole 'feels' too flimsy, like the sign is going to tip over backward off the back of the gantry or slip off of it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

Quote from: briantroutman on January 27, 2021, 12:27:49 PM
Pennsylvania has a few these older sign support structures around, with at least a couple of them being on US 220 between I-180 and I-80: https://goo.gl/maps/f98UzA1NcbzRMrCj9

They're a bit unusual in that the horizontal truss structure of the sign "bridge"  (excuse my lack of proper terminology knowledge) extends beyond the vertical supports and connects diagonally with the footings at the base, giving the overall assembly an odd, top-heavy appearance.

Louisiana also has a bunch of these old gantries still around as well, I believe.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Alex

There are still a number of the old brown painted sign bridges with the screen backgrounds in Philadelphia.

This style was commonly used along I-95 in Baltimore at one point as well. Some are still in use along I-83 (Jones Falls Expwy):

SkyPesos

This gantry type looks similar to some of the examples posted already in this thread. It's only used in Downtown Cincinnati today, specifically the FWW, not sure if ODOT used it outside of the area though. Otherwise, ODOT is pretty consistent with the box truss gantries they use.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex on January 27, 2021, 11:20:31 PM
There are still a number of the old brown painted sign bridges with the screen backgrounds in Philadelphia.

I believe these are the style Philly/PennDOT chose when 676 was built in the 1990s, so they're not all that old. I'm quite certain they are not original to 95 when that highway opened.

jeffandnicole

jeffandnicole

I was thinking about the demise of the famous New Jersey Turnpike "art-deco" gantries southbound at Exit 6 and eastbound on the nearby Turnpike Extension and I found myself wondering how many older-style gantries are still out there.

BTW, the style does still exist for the NJ Turnpike at NJ 139.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/59ARTxuJwHifJri57

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2021, 12:09:31 AM
I was thinking about the demise of the famous New Jersey Turnpike "art-deco" gantries southbound at Exit 6 and eastbound on the nearby Turnpike Extension and I found myself wondering how many older-style gantries are still out there.

Heh, that's the one part of the Turnpike I've never been on (the only time I used that extension, I exited at 14A and took the Bayonne Bridge). If the pandemic hadn't arisen, I'd almost certainly have used it by now, but because of the pandemic I haven't been to New York since last January.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2021, 12:09:31 AM

You know what would be a cool idea?  When the New Jersey Turnpike goes AET, they should build replicas of these for the toll gantries.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Henry

This style was commonly used along I-95 in Baltimore at one point as well. Some are still in use along I-83 (Jones Falls Expwy):

I also remember seeing this exact same style in Charleston, WV (along I-77, IIRC, and it had the backing grates like the ones in Philly).

More often than not, you'll see this variant in Chicago (which either inspired, or was inspired by, the ones above it; you tell me which):

However, they're not exclusive to the Windy City, as they can also be seen elsewhere in IL, such as this one at the south end of I-39 near Bloomington:

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

I-35

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 27, 2021, 03:05:08 PM
Quote from: I-35 on January 27, 2021, 11:23:13 AM

Only in certain counties, though–urban counties get monotubes but rural still gets trusses, apparently. The only reason I suspect such a policy is that there was a project that spanned between Cleveland and McClain counties and replaced a bunch of signs. On the Cleveland side of the line, all monotubes. The signs on the McClain side got trusses.

This also only applies to free roads. The new turnpikes in the OKC area all use trusses.

I personally prefer the trusses because the monotubes look too clean. I know, intellectually, that the monotubes are designed to hold the weight of a sign. But visually, from a design standpoint, a single pole 'feels' too flimsy, like the sign is going to tip over backward off the back of the gantry or slip off of it.

The contractor is absolutely dragging their feet on this resigning project in southern Oklahoma, but the overhead gantries near Ardmore are going to monotubes.

https://www.odot.org/contracts/a2019/plans1910/210_1910_HSIPG-243F(033)TR_3414404/T134-3414404-SIGN%20STR%203.pdf

hbelkins

Quote from: Henry on January 28, 2021, 10:40:48 AM

I also remember seeing this exact same style in Charleston, WV (along I-77, IIRC, and it had the backing grates like the ones in Philly).

Yep. A few of them are still in use, without the background mesh.

Quote from: hbelkins on January 27, 2021, 01:12:05 PM
Most of the old brown structures with wire mesh backgrounds were removed from the interstates in Charleston, WV, several years ago when signs were replaced. But a few of the old gantries are still there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Occidental Tourist

That, in turn, reminded me of a very old gantry located on southbound 123 just before the Dulles exit, and it's that gantry that prompted me to start this thread.

For a brief time these gantries were also used by California.  There are still some being used, including on the 57 Freeway in Orange County.

PHLBOS

Are you asking about old gantries that are still around despite having newer/replacement signs on them or just ones in general regardless of whether the signs on them are as old as the gantry?

Many of the posted examples by others are including those that still have their original signs on them (example: the ones along I-95 in Philadelphia between I-76 & I-676).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 29, 2021, 12:21:10 PM
Are you asking about old gantries that are still around despite having newer/replacement signs on them or just ones in general regardless of whether the signs on them are as old as the gantry?

Many of the posted examples by others are including those that still have their original signs on them (example: the ones along I-95 in Philadelphia between I-76 & I-676).

I suppose it could be either–doesn't matter whether the signs are new. Certainly I think most of us on this forum like to celebrate old signs that last a really long time, and if they're coupled with a really old gantry, so much the better, right? The one on I-66 in DC that recently had some 50-year-old signs replaced (on the existing structure) seems like the type of thing that would be of an ideal sort for this thread regardless of whether the reference were pre- or post-replacement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.