News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Tennessee Adds New 77 Miles of Highway to Interstate System

TDOT sent out a news bulletin on August 12, 2016 officially designating the entire stretch of SR 840 as I-840. Signage will start being put in place next week and should be complete by the end of the year.

I didn't see this anywhere on the forum as I skimmed through four pages of unread posts (just returned from a mega road trip out west) so I thought I'd share it here. If it's been posted elsewhere already, then ignore this post :-P

Tom958

Quote from: flaroads on August 14, 2016, 12:13:06 PM

TDOT sent out a news bulletin on August 12, 2016 officially designating the entire stretch of SR 840 as I-840. Signage will start being put in place next week and should be complete by the end of the year.

I didn't see this anywhere on the forum as I skimmed through four pages of unread posts (just returned from a mega road trip out west) so I thought I'd share it here. If it's been posted elsewhere already, then ignore this post :-P

This is the first I'd heard of it. Hopefully while they're up there they can add "Memphis" where it's supposed to be.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8808893,-86.4719136,3a,27.8y,315.73h,95.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-mYDhDuD3sJ1whadyCIbxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

mdthomas8368

I posted yesterday on the AASHTO 2015 thread, but should have added here as well.  All of the 840 BGS signs along I-24, I-40, I-65, US41/70S (and others, I'm sure) need to have all of their control cities adjusted to Memphis/Dickson (west) and Knoxville/Lebanon (east).  The attached is what I believe is the worst example of the control cities on an 840 BGS https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8991882,-86.4457108,3a,75y,327.54h,87.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX7cnS5JeqBVnMCAfVM3maA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

freebrickproductions

Huh, I took TN 840 when I went up to Kentucky a few days ago. Didn't see any new interstate shields, though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

froggie

Somewhat surprised that TDOT waited this long to make the announcement.  FHWA and AASHTO signed off on it last year.

codyg1985

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 15, 2016, 03:27:41 AM
Huh, I took TN 840 when I went up to Kentucky a few days ago. Didn't see any new interstate shields, though.

I think the sign replacements are supposed to start this week.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Henry

Well, I'm not the least bit surprised by this! Now to make VA 895 into I-895...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Avalanchez71

Great now there will a large traffic count.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 15, 2016, 11:41:50 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 15, 2016, 03:27:41 AM

I think the sign replacements are supposed to start this week.
Glad I got photos of some of the TN 840 shields when I did then.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

LM117

Quote from: Henry on August 15, 2016, 11:49:17 AM
Well, I'm not the least bit surprised by this! Now to make VA 895 into I-895...

Good luck with that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_State_Route_895

QuoteThe road was originally planned as Interstate 895. However, in January 2002, when the Virginia Department of Transportation sought the Interstate designation from the Federal Highway Administration, it was informed that the expressway was not qualified for such a designation, as federal statute 23 USC 129(a)(1)(A) provides that federal funds may not be used for a tolled Interstate. Thus, toll roads using no federal funds and free roads of any funding source are eligible for Interstate designation, but toll roads that use federal funds are not. In this case, $9.28 million of the preliminary engineering (out of a total $324 million cost) was funded by the federal government, and the project ultimately opened as a toll road, disqualifying the road as a bearer of an Interstate shield.

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

swbrotha100

Good for Tennessee. I wish some other states had some more foresight in numbering their urban highways.

Avalanchez71

There goes my hard earned tax dollars wasted on changing a bunch of signs that don't need to be changed.

lordsutch

Yes, TDOT could have installed a couple of sets of traffic signals for that much money instead. The horror, the waste.

Not to mention that the signs on 840 east of I-24 are two decades old at this point. They're probably due for replacement anyway.

If you want to complain about waste, complain that TDOT spent 100% state funds to construct the route rather than utilizing federal matching funds in the hope that it would get them out of doing environmental paperwork that they ended up having to do anyway when they got sued, blowing probably $500+ million that could have been leveraged with federal funds elsewhere. West Tennessee might have gotten 385 done a decade earlier or East Tennessee might have gotten 475 actually built instead.

hbelkins

Quote from: lordsutch on August 17, 2016, 08:56:55 PM

If you want to complain about waste, complain that TDOT spent 100% state funds to construct the route rather than utilizing federal matching funds in the hope that it would get them out of doing environmental paperwork that they ended up having to do anyway when they got sued, blowing probably $500+ million that could have been leveraged with federal funds elsewhere. West Tennessee might have gotten 385 done a decade earlier or East Tennessee might have gotten 475 actually built instead.

It was pointed out years ago on MTR that Tennessee used state funds to build US 23 (now I-26) from the Erwin area up to the NC state line at Sams Gap to keep from having to do federally-required environmental work, despite the road being eligible for federal funding since it was an ARC corridor (Corridor B). That may have forced North Carolina's hand to finish its section of the route between the state line and Mars Hill, since Tennessee already had the freeway done.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mdthomas8368

I-840 neutered shields are at some entrance ramp areas -- noticed at exit 47 (Almaville Rd) and exit 34 (Peytonsville Rd).  None at exit 50 (Veterans Pkwy) or at exit 42 (US31A/41A).

codyg1985

Last Friday I didn't see any I-840 shields in the Murfreesboro area.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

TrevorB

Got I-840 added to Google Maps.

Avalanchez71

No I-840 shields as of this morning along the junction with I-65.  I was on I-65 and all of the BGS have the SR 840 shields.

Alex

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 26, 2016, 09:27:16 AM
No I-840 shields as of this morning along the junction with I-65.  I was on I-65 and all of the BGS have the SR 840 shields.

Jeff R reported that only stand alone shields are posted for I-840 so far. All guide signs remain the same for now.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on August 19, 2016, 02:36:52 PM

It was pointed out years ago on MTR that Tennessee used state funds to build US 23 (now I-26) from the Erwin area up to the NC state line at Sams Gap to keep from having to do federally-required environmental work, despite the road being eligible for federal funding since it was an ARC corridor (Corridor B).

What a bizarre decision to refuse federal reimbursement.  Can't remember if Appalachian funds were 100% at the moment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

I really don't like it when they make a future Interstate a state highway first. I personally believe if they are going to make a road an Interstate, it should be an Interstate from the moment its built or designated.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on August 30, 2016, 03:13:03 PM

It was pointed out years ago on MTR that Tennessee used state funds to build US 23 (now I-26) from the Erwin area up to the NC state line at Sams Gap to keep from having to do federally-required environmental work, despite the road being eligible for federal funding since it was an ARC corridor (Corridor B).

What a bizarre decision to refuse federal reimbursement.  Can't remember if Appalachian funds were 100% at the moment.

I doubt it.  It was completed back in the mid-1990's.

hbelkins

John Lansford was the one who made that statement. Of course he always criticized Tennessee for their design of the highway. He never met a neighboring DOT that he didn't hate.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on August 30, 2016, 07:27:45 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 30, 2016, 03:13:03 PM

I doubt it.  It was completed back in the mid-1990's.

Yeah, just looked it up.  ADHS funding wasn't 100% until 2012.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Avalanchez71

SR 7 has just been realigned in Columbia.  It now no longer continues south of US 43/ US 412.  It now exits the current roadway runs east to end at US 31 along US 43.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.