News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

New BGS signs have started to be installed on I-95 northbound between Reading and Peabody as of tonight starting at Exit 58 and moving up to Exit 61.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

bob7374

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 15, 2022, 08:02:59 PM
New BGS signs have started to be installed on I-95 northbound between Reading and Peabody as of tonight starting at Exit 58 and moving up to Exit 61.
Got a chance to check out the new signs on I-95/MA 128 North earlier today, here's the last one at the Salem Street exit:

The other new sign photos are at: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html

bob7374

As was posted under the Massachusetts topic, the contractors finally got around to placing the last of the new US 1 exit signs in Attleboro in early December which also includes on the same gantry the 1/2 mile advance sign for the first RI exit, Roosevelt Avenue. The new sign though went up with the old exit number however, which you would think that, since the same contractor was responsible for both the MA and RI projects, they would have spotted the error before the sign went up:

DrSmith

I think you're assuming more communication and knowledge between projects than actually occurs.

Also, if there isn't a change order from Mass for the new exit number, the contractor cannot just change it.
They agreed to fabricate the signs as drawn. It may seem trivial; however, not delivering to specification can result in re-work on decreased payment.

The Ghostbuster

Is there any chance the situation could be rectified, such as placing a 43 on top of the 30 sign? I doubt the exit tab will be removed until the sign is replaced in the future.

Ted$8roadFan

Adding a 43 on top of the 30 would make the most sense. But absent that, since (I'm guessing) Rhode Island provides the "Old Exit 30"  tab as part of the new signage, MassDOT might not be compelled to do anything for the moment.

PurdueBill

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 02, 2023, 07:30:23 PM
Is there any chance the situation could be rectified, such as placing a 43 on top of the 30 sign? I doubt the exit tab will be removed until the sign is replaced in the future.

A similar patch, but of the whole tab, was done on I-395 when Connecticut renumbered exits, leaving the Mass sign for the exit with the old number.  https://goo.gl/maps/pa3zKyaBvTDXLUVN8
No reason they couldn't patch just like they did on existing Mass signs in Mass, but they do need to do it through whatever channels are required. 
The timing was just right for it to be planned, fabricated, and installed as RI was changing numbers--any other timing and it wouldn't have been quite as interesting.

Ted$8roadFan

Went to RI this weekend on I-95. The sign for the first RI Exit 43/Old Exit 30 in Massachusetts is still signed for the latter, but the sign for the next one just before the state line (Exit 42/Old Exit 29) does reflect the new number.

bob7374

I've added new photos documenting sign replacement between Reading and Lynnfield on my I-95 in Mass. Gallery including this 2 sign cantilever for the US 1/MA 129 exits northbound:

The rest at: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html

bob7374

Took a trip over the weekend to check out any new signage on I-95/MA 128 between Reading and Lynnfield since my last trip in March. All of the signage for the US 1/MA 129 exits as well as the 1 mile advance for the MA 128 exit are up:

The 2 Miles advance NB for 128 and 4 other signs SB still need to be installed. All the photos are at:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html

The Ghostbuster

Did they ever fix the former Exit 30/present Exit 43 sign mentioned at the beginning of the year?

MATraveler128

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 30, 2023, 02:27:27 PM
Did they ever fix the former Exit 30/present Exit 43 sign mentioned at the beginning of the year?

I went through the area earlier this month and it still hasn't been corrected.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SidS1045

Yes, Virginia (er, MassDOT), quality control is a thing.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet on another thread but, for some reason, most if not all of the yellow LEFT banners on the Exit tab signs approaching both the Canton (I-95/93/MA 128/US 1) & Peabody (I-95/MA 128) have been removed... including the recent installs.

What gives?  Scroll down

Seems kind of weird, especially since the last sign at the Peabody I-95/MA 128 split now includes a yellow bottom EXIT ONLY banner with black down-arrows as well.  A bit overkill IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kramie13

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 11, 2023, 03:38:32 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet on another thread but, for some reason, most if not all of the yellow LEFT banners on the Exit tab signs approaching both the Canton (I-95/93/MA 128/US 1) & Peabody (I-95/MA 128) have been removed... including the recent installs.

What gives?  Scroll down

Seems kind of weird, especially since the last sign at the Peabody I-95/MA 128 split now includes a yellow bottom EXIT ONLY banner with black down-arrows as well.  A bit overkill IMHO.

I was just on this stretch of highway last week.  I've also noticed the "Left" tabs approaching I-93/Exit 26 on I-95/MA 128 south are gone.  But it looks like the exit tabs have been "cut off" - the white line at the top is missing.

And of course the number 26 is "plated on" - not fabricated onto the exit tab.

But in my opinion, the yellow "LEFT" tabs are redundant, because the exit tab is on the left side of the sign instead of the right side here.

SignBridge

A lot of ignorant drivers might not know that the exit tab on the left side indicates a left exit. That's why the yellow-boxed left was a good idea in most cases.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: SignBridge on June 12, 2023, 07:42:10 PM
A lot of ignorant drivers might not know that the exit tab on the left side indicates a left exit. That's why the yellow-boxed left was a good idea in most cases.

Agreed; many drivers may not know that.  I hadn't known that fact myself until my mid-20s.

Rothman

I thought the left tab=left exit thing was a relatively new development in the MUTCD.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SignBridge

Quote from: Rothman on June 13, 2023, 06:37:21 AM
I thought the left tab=left exit thing was a relatively new development in the MUTCD.

Been that way at least since the 1980's. I remember seeing them on a sign replacement project in my area in 1984. The word LEFT in the yellow box on the exit tab is relatively new, having appeared in the 2009 Manual, or maybe the short lived 2003 edition; not sure which.

shadyjay

Prior to the past 10-15 years or so, CT exit tabs were still centered, and you assumed the exit was on the right, unless there was a LEFT EXIT banner at the bottom.
Actually, that's how most N.E. states were, it was just CT was the last to make the transtion.

SignBridge

Quote from: shadyjay on June 13, 2023, 08:07:50 PM
Prior to the past 10-15 years or so, CT exit tabs were still centered, and you assumed the exit was on the right, unless there was a LEFT EXIT banner at the bottom.
Actually, that's how most N.E. states were, it was just CT was the last to make the transtion.

LOL In Connecticut the environmentalists probably objected to moving the exit tabs to the right, ya' know: just oppose everything. Probably the same ones that have prevented the connection between Rt.7 and the Merritt Pkwy in the Norwalk area from ever being built.

Sorry for the sarcasm. That connection is a sore point with me.

kramie13

Quote from: bob7374 on January 01, 2023, 10:27:40 AM
As was posted under the Massachusetts topic, the contractors finally got around to placing the last of the new US 1 exit signs in Attleboro in early December which also includes on the same gantry the 1/2 mile advance sign for the first RI exit, Roosevelt Avenue. The new sign though went up with the old exit number however, which you would think that, since the same contractor was responsible for both the MA and RI projects, they would have spotted the error before the sign went up:

I was on this stretch of I-95 yesterday.  The 1/2 mile sign for the Roosevelt Ave exit now correctly reads "Exit 43" .

The Ghostbuster

Does it also have an old exit 30 sign posted?

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 16, 2023, 08:43:12 AM
Went to RI this weekend on I-95. The sign for the first RI Exit 43/Old Exit 30 in Massachusetts is still signed for the latter, but the sign for the next one just before the state line (Exit 42/Old Exit 29) does reflect the new number.

Just drove by there yesterday. I couldn't take pictures, but the exit numbers for the first two RI exits on I-95 south just before the border have been changed to reflect RI's new mileage based exits (43 and 42).

bob7374

New signage on US 1 North and on the ramp to I-95/MA 128 in Peabody now includes I-95 shields indicating, for those that did not know, there's another way to get to I-95 North besides staying on US 1 North to Danvers:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.