News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Responsive Forum

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, February 06, 2018, 01:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Is the forum's new Wordpress theme responsive in nature?

Responsive web pages are able to scale all elements to whatever the viewport is in size.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

roadman

The new main web page is responsive, but the forum page isn't - just checked with my phone.  Perhaps that's a good reason to consider updating the sub pages as well.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 06, 2018, 01:24:56 PM
Is the forum's new Wordpress theme responsive in nature?

Responsive web pages are able to scale all elements to whatever the viewport is in size.

IIRC, the forum isn't on Wordpress, just the main AA Roads site.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

The website and forum are two completely different universes from a web design standpoint. As a result, it's not a simple matter to "extend"  the website redesign to the forum. The website runs on Wordpress and has recently been re-skinned using a responsive theme. The forum runs on a completely different platform (SMF), so it would be necessary to re-skin the forum with a responsive SMF theme in order for the forum's design to be responsive.

I'm sure that the site admins would be quick to point out that the Tapatalk app is available to provide a more mobile-friendly front end on the forum for phone and tablet users. Personally, I find Tapatalk cumbersome and annoying–I used it for five minutes once and promptly uninstalled it. The forum's desktop theme is also aggravating on a phone for anything other than very casual browsing.

So personally, I've resigned to doing all my posting from an actual computer. But I definitely would be in favor of the forum adopting a responsive theme that maintains much of the layout and functionality of the current desktop format.

froggie

Quote from: briantroutmanThe forum's desktop theme is also aggravating on a phone for anything other than very casual browsing.

It's not as bad with some of the alternative themes (personally, I find the forum's default theme hard to read even on an actual computer).  That said, I typically post from my laptop and not from my iPhone.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I would be happy to take on the task of making the forum responsive on the mobile platform for users, based on feedback. Now, just gotta get approval!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 06, 2018, 11:12:38 PM
I would be happy to take on the task of making the forum responsive on the mobile platform for users, based on feedback. Now, just gotta get approval!

You just need to wait till SMF comes out 2.1.  Till then, our hands are somewhat tied.

hbelkins

I'm going to be honest here. I'm not so addicted to this forum that I simply HAVE to read it on my phone. I use my laptop. If I don't have my laptop handy, I wait until it is handy. It's a rare occasion that I will try to read it on my iPad. I don't understand this need that some people have for instant 24/7 access to the forum.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2018, 10:34:41 AM
I'm going to be honest here. I'm not so addicted to this forum that I simply HAVE to read it on my phone. I use my laptop. If I don't have my laptop handy, I wait until it is handy. It's a rare occasion that I will try to read it on my iPad. I don't understand this need that some people have for instant 24/7 access to the forum.

I'm not on the forum 24/7, but the ability to access it at any given point in time is what is important. I have used this forum so much on my iPhone that I have gotten used to it, and now I don't perceive too many problems with it on mobile (because I am accustomed to it, albeit it is not responsive). Since I have done it so much, using the forum is, now, for me, almost as easy on mobile as it is on a PC, and as a result, I read and post on my phone all the time, with not too many problems.

Also, when there are some very active threads (racking up several pages of material per day), you may need to access the forum in any way possible, and quite often, to keep up with it all.  :-D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jeffandnicole

I have an Android phone, and it seems completely fine to me.

Either this is an iPhone specific problem, or an ultra-first world problem.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I am just offering assistance here. I don't foresee a little tweak to the user experience for mobile users changing the world. But, I am sure some might find it welcoming and others... not so much.

iPhone

adventurernumber1

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 07, 2018, 12:23:49 PM
I am just offering assistance here. I don't foresee a little tweak to the user experience for mobile users changing the world. But, I am sure some might find it welcoming and others... not so much.

iPhone

I highly appreciate your willingness to want to help. If it is in fact possible, I think that what you want to do is a great idea, and it would enhance forum experience for sure.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

briantroutman

I'm not so addicted to this forum that I simply HAVE to read it on my phone... I don't understand this need that some people have for instant 24/7 access to the forum.

At least in my case, it's not so much a desire for 24/7 access as it is the greater convenience (in some settings) of using a phone or tablet in a relaxed position instead of sitting upright at a computer on a desk or a table.

Keep in mind that I'm not cheerleading for an overhaul of the forum layout. I'm just acknowledging the fact that it's not user-friendly on mobile devices. I would welcome a responsive redesign, but it's not the most pressing item on my agenda.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2018, 10:53:19 AM

The forum renders perfectly fine on iOS devices–just as it would on a desktop or laptop. The only issue is that it's scaled down to the point that some type is almost unreadable, and it's very difficult to select one link vs. others nearby. For example, I might want to read the latest installment in the "Richmond to Charlotte"  thread under Road Trips in the example below but have a very hard time selecting that link instead of the link to Froggie's profile page a millimeter away.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: briantroutman on February 07, 2018, 02:09:08 PM
I'm not so addicted to this forum that I simply HAVE to read it on my phone... I don't understand this need that some people have for instant 24/7 access to the forum.

At least in my case, it’s not so much a desire for 24/7 access as it is the greater convenience (in some settings) of using a phone or tablet in a relaxed position instead of sitting upright at a computer on a desk or a table.

Keep in mind that I’m not cheerleading for an overhaul of the forum layout. I’m just acknowledging the fact that it’s not user-friendly on mobile devices. I would welcome a responsive redesign, but it’s not the most pressing item on my agenda.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2018, 10:53:19 AM

The forum renders perfectly fine on iOS devices—just as it would on a desktop or laptop. The only issue is that it’s scaled down to the point that some type is almost unreadable, and it’s very difficult to select one link vs. others nearby. For example, I might want to read the latest installment in the “Richmond to Charlotte” thread under Road Trips in the example below but have a very hard time selecting that link instead of the link to Froggie’s profile page a millimeter away.

Yep, that's what I see.  But I never have an issue zooming in to make it larger either.

froggie

No issue zooming in on iOS, either.

adventurernumber1

This is probably what most of us see while on this forum on mobile:

The more you zoom in, the more coherent (clear) and to scale things look. I would imagine that the fix TheArkansasRoadgeek is willing to help with (if possible) is one that would eliminate this occurrence, where things are much harder to see (and click, as briantroutman notes) unless you zoom in a lot.

vdeane

Yeah, while the forum can be used over a phone without tapatalk, it is extremely annoying thanks to the constant zooming in and out.  And sometimes you still click the wrong button.  There are a couple times when I was bored and wanted to see if a specific thread has new posts that I've checked on my phone, but otherwise I avoid it more than I otherwise would.  I can't imagine myself ever doing a major check or posting from my phone, but it would be nice to have a convenient way to view it for moments when I have to wait a few minutes and just want to pass the time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mrsman

Whenever I use my phone for the forum,I only glance at topics that I am unlikely to want to respond to, since I find typing into the phone to be an extra pain.

webny99

I think my age, and my not always having computer access, are two of the main reasons I don't mind using a phone. I certainly prefer to post from a computer, but have no problems using my phone (except when it comes to nested quotes  :crazy:).

In fact, I'm using my phone now. I reckon I've made about forty percent of my total posts from a mobile device. I try quite diligently not to make typos, so you may find it hard to distinguish between phone posts and computer posts :-P

seicer

Since the new AARoads site is in Wordpress - and looks great, may I suggest BBPress? It connects to Wordpress and is responsive - and clean. The only downfall about switching is that migrating the data from Simple Machines Forum to BBPress might not be possible or ideal - and the users most likely won't be able to come over.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on February 07, 2018, 10:04:54 PM
Oh, is that all? :D

Yeah, and really, those are the only two things you want to migrate: users, and posts.

Sounds to me like a bad idea!

Forum on my Galaxy S8+ (bigger display) works extremely well. Absolutely no complaints. Links are obviously small but I don't seem to miss them (well calibrated display, I suppose).

7/8

Quote from: Rothman on February 07, 2018, 10:04:54 PM
Oh, is that all? :D

It's like the drug commercials on American TV, where they try and sell their product, but you end up scared off by the lengthy list of harmful side effects. :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.