News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Towns that are not pronounced as they’re written

Started by roadman65, May 27, 2022, 10:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Having read some of the replies about place names in New York State, that makes me think of some other town names in that state that I've sometimes wondered how they're pronounced - namely, Saugerties, Valatie, Skaneateles, Honeoye Falls, Patchogue, Cutchogue, Hauppauge, Center Moriches, Bouckville, and Wappingers Falls. Anyone have any idea regarding how those names are said? Thanks!

6a

Quote from: OracleUsr on June 19, 2022, 08:22:39 PM
I was up in Michigan about 10 years ago looking for the Seul Choix Point Lighthouse, and I swear someone pronounced it as SISH-wa. 

And, Calais, ME, didn't retain its French pronunciation as I would have expected.  I heard it pronounced Cal-lis.
I visited Seul Choix quite randomly a couple years ago, you are correct. Also, ran into this guy at the lighthouse

6a

kirbykart

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 25, 2022, 04:09:30 PM
Having read some of the replies about place names in New York State, that makes me think of some other town names in that state that I've sometimes wondered how they're pronounced - namely, Saugerties, Valatie, Skaneateles, Honeoye Falls, Patchogue, Cutchogue, Hauppauge, Center Moriches, Bouckville, and Wappingers Falls. Anyone have any idea regarding how those names are said? Thanks!
I know some of these. Take them with a grain of salt because I could be wrong on a couple. Maybe webny99, vdeane, and/or Rothman could help out, in addition to other NY roadgeeks on this forum.
Saugerties- "SAW-gur-tees"
Skaneateles I mentioned on Page 7. It's pronounced the sane way as "Skinny Atlas", with emphasis on the first syllable of atlas.
Honeoye- The same as "Honey eye"
Wappingers Falls- First syllable rhymes with "top". Soft g sound, the rest is self-explanatory.

Rothman

Quote from: kirbykart on August 26, 2022, 10:38:24 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 25, 2022, 04:09:30 PM
I know some of these. Take them with a grain of salt because I could be wrong on a couple. Maybe webny99, vdeane, and/or Rothman could help out, in addition to other NY roadgeeks on this forum.
Saugerties- "SAW-gur-tees"
Skaneateles I mentioned on Page 7. It's pronounced the sane way as "Skinny Atlas", with emphasis on the first syllable of atlas.
Honeoye- The same as "Honey eye"
Wappingers Falls- First syllable rhymes with "top". Soft g sound, the rest is self-explanatory.
The pronunciations are available earlier in this thread and elsewhere on the forum.  We cover them at least once a year in some form or fashion, it seems.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.