AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Corridor H  (Read 452940 times)

1995hoo

• Last Login: January 21, 2022, 09:06:47 PM
Re: Corridor H
« Reply #1325 on: November 05, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »

Yikes. For reference, it's at https://goo.gl/maps/hMgyxMhc842Uzutp6

Seems to me the campground shown on the map there should be located southeast of town, IF you know what I mean...

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 09:46:24 AM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #1326 on: November 05, 2021, 01:16:09 PM »

Interesting.

Also from a recent trip up that way, US 48 is being asphalted west of Elkins for a number of miles. That segment is older than I had thought (1994) and the concrete joints were all deteriorating. WVDOH has invested a lot to replace practically every joint. I'm surprised they just didn't diamond grind it down afterward.

And it's good to see the state investing in recessed reflective markers. Kentucky recessed its markers decades ago and only recently began doing it state-wide. I noticed Virginia doing the same on newly paved routes.
I find it interesting that the joints didn't even last 30 years. I can't swear to it, but the joints of the same age along I-287 here appear to still be original and those see much heavier traffic and similar freeze/thaw.

As Brian noted, I wonder if they were not jointed. It reminds me of I-88 condition - not necessarily with slabs faulting, but with the joints separating. There is much about concrete's chemistry that I do not understand but it's interesting that it's not uniform.

It reminds me of I-99 near State College. The northernmost segment built in 1997 just got repaved after the slabs were faulting. Segments just to the south were built in 2001 and are in perfect condition. On the surface they looked the same.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: January 21, 2022, 05:20:04 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #1327 on: November 05, 2021, 08:47:25 PM »

That bridge closing sounds like the contractors did shoddy work. Those structures should still be in pristine condition.

And why should they close the entire section? Why not detour traffic along CR 1 that passes under the bridge and has a connection to the four-lane?

I identify as vaccinated.

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:35:36 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #1328 on: November 05, 2021, 09:03:57 PM »

I doubt CR 1 would be able to handle the traffic volume.  While it's paved, it's a tad narrow and also lacks edge striping.

Also, using CR 1 as you suggest would require five turns that would not exist with the planned CR 219/86 detour route.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: January 21, 2022, 09:19:53 AM
« Reply #1329 on: November 05, 2021, 09:22:22 PM »

That bridge closing sounds like the contractors did shoddy work. Those structures should still be in pristine condition.

And why should they close the entire section? Why not detour traffic along CR 1 that passes under the bridge and has a connection to the four-lane?

It's faster and easier just to have traffic stay on Old US 219 (CR 219/86). It's a straight shot, no turns required, and you can drive 55mph without any trouble. With the four-lane highway ending just a couple miles north of the work zone, there's no advantage to having traffic get on this short portion of road.

A substantial percentage of locals continued to use Old US 219 all along rather than bother getting on/off Corridor H if they're heading north from Elkins. Traffic counts are actually higher (about 2800 VPD versus 2400) on Old US 219 versus Corridor H.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.