Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia

<< < (3/11) > >>

Joseph R P:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on June 08, 2022, 07:58:44 PM ---Virginia is getting closer and closer to having an Outer Beltway. If nothing else, I imagine this could draw traffic off of 95 north of Dumfries.

--- End quote ---

If the Bi-County Parkway is built, then yeah, a new half-beltway for people who want to basically avoid Nova. It's an interesting idea on paper and I would love an easier way to get up past Leesburg from where I am in southern PWC. However, I really don't think they should create an outer beltway. Dumfries Road is already jam-packed with trucks and commuters every evening and with all the new development happening along the southern corridor in Dumfries, to have an Interstate's amount of traffic, stop and go at every light and yielding for the pedestrians, horrifies me. They would have to either widen VA 234 or upgrade it to a freeway, both of with are practically impossible and would tear up the newer frontage roads, driveways, and sidepaths.

I think they should just make dual-carriageway EZ-Pass lanes along I-95 and think of extending the Metro to Quantico.

To add on, making an outer beltway would undoubtedly just create more sprawl, turning Manassas into a Fairfax and Warrenton into a Manassas.

sprjus4:
Any effective outer bypass needs to be built on new location and be designed to limit local traffic by spacing interchanges far apart only at major junctions.

An eastern bypass along US-301 would be the way to go, IMO.

However, for the sake of local traffic flow alone, one or both of the parkways to the west of I-95 going to I-66, whether it be VA-234 or VA-286, need to be upgraded to freeway standards. They already carry freeway levels of traffic and mixed with intersections does not create a safe driving environment.

Joseph R P:
VA 286 would be a much easier upgrade to a freeway considering the section between I 95 and VA 289 and the one between Popes Head Road and US 50 are already at freeway standards with more interchanges planned to be built between them. VA 294 and the Dumfries Road section of VA 234 have a lot of private properties along them so upgrading them to freeways would be much more difficult.

kernals12:

--- Quote from: Joseph R P on June 10, 2022, 02:20:28 AM ---VA 286 would be a much easier upgrade to a freeway considering the section between I 95 and VA 289 and the one between Popes Head Road and US 50 are already at freeway standards with more interchanges planned to be built between them. VA 294 and the Dumfries Road section of VA 234 have a lot of private properties along them so upgrading them to freeways would be much more difficult.

--- End quote ---

But VA 234 intersects with VA 28 which runs by Dulles Airport.

1995hoo:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on June 10, 2022, 07:17:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: Joseph R P on June 10, 2022, 02:20:28 AM ---VA 286 would be a much easier upgrade to a freeway considering the section between I 95 and VA 289 and the one between Popes Head Road and US 50 are already at freeway standards with more interchanges planned to be built between them. VA 294 and the Dumfries Road section of VA 234 have a lot of private properties along them so upgrading them to freeways would be much more difficult.

--- End quote ---

But VA 234 intersects with VA 28 which runs by Dulles Airport.

--- End quote ---

How does that in any way respond to what Joseph R P said?

The timing of Joseph R P's comment is amusing to me because yesterday afternoon my mom stopped by our place to pick something up that I'd ordered for her. She was coming from Centreville and she took Braddock Road to the southbound Fairfax County Parkway. She grumbled about how it took forever to get from Braddock through the light at Popes Head Road a short distance away but that it then opened up such that it took her about 40 minutes total to make the trip (which is not bad for a trip starting at 3:40 PM). I was rather amused by that given that the Popes Head light is slated for removal when an interchange is constructed there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version