Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia

<< < (8/11) > >>

Jmiles32:
Here are the projects in PWC and Manassas that will either be fully or partially funded by the NVTA in the coming years (2022-2027):
https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/northern-virginia-transportation-authority-to-finalize-6-year-program/article_487748fa-039c-11ed-9b06-93df251a0c87.html

--- Quote ---The Northern Virginia Transportation Authority is considering funding 20 projects for its 2022-2027 six-year program update while leaving six candidate projects unfunded, four of which were submitted by Prince William County.

For Prince William County, NVTA staff is recommending the full $53 million requested to extend the four-lane University Boulevard from Devlin to Wellington Road. The county already has additional Virginia Department of Transportation money and federal funding lined up to pay for the project.

“This is the last piece of University Boulevard in the [Comprehensive] Plan, and once this is completed we’ll have a full University Boulevard from Route 29 all the way to Godwin Drive,” County Planning Manager Paolo Belita told InsideNoVa. “It’s a new facility, and there’s a lot going on in that side of the county.”

The recommendation is also to approve the full $25 million requested by the county to widen Old Bridge Road from Colby Drive to Minnieville Road. Staff is also recommending the partial approval of two funding requests: $8 of the $80 million requested to extend Van Buren Road from Route 234 to Cardinal Drive and $3 of the $61.2 million requested for a new interchange at U.S. 1 and Route 123.

At the 1-123 interchange, the county is looking to construct a new four-lane overpass that would carry 123 over U.S. 1 in Woodbridge to replace the regularly-congested, at-grade traffic signal intersection. Belita said the project has some federal funding lined up to begin the preliminary engineering for the interchange and that the county would be submitting for VDOT funding.

“We’re trying to leverage it with other sources of funding,” he told InsideNoVa.

In Manassas, NVTA staff is recommending approval for the full $8.8 million requested to add a third eastbound lane to Liberia Avenue from Route 28 to Euclid Avenue. That was the only project submitted by the city this round.

Of the six candidate projects that go unfunded by staff's recommended plan, four come from Prince William. Among those requests are the county's $96 million project to widen Old Centreville Road from the Fairfax County line to Route 28, $67.5 million for a new interchange at Prince William Parkway and Minnieville Road, $35 million to widen Devlin Road from Linton Hall to University Boulevard and $26.5 million to widen Neabsco Road from Route 1 to Daniel Ludwig Drive.Belita said the county plans to submit projects that received partial funding for VDOT SMART SCALE funding and will likely re-submit projects in the coming years. Primarily, he said, the chances of any one project are based on how the NVTA scores it and what other jurisdictions submit.

“It’s all relative to what other jurisdictions are submitting. All our projects have some significant needs … and it all depends on what projects are submitted and how much we ask,” Belita said. “We’ll look at other funding opportunities, we’ll circle back to see if we need to look at our estimates again, do some more coordination.”
--- End quote ---

And for anyone interested in the recommended NVTA 2022-2027 funding scenario for the entire region: https://thenovaauthority.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/NVTA-FY2022-2027-SYP-PPC-Recommendations.pdf

Joseph R P:
I wonder if they'll work on widening the section of Telegraph Road between Prince William Parkway and Opitz Boulevard or Neabsco Mills Road before they do anything with Neabsco Road. Telegraph and Neabsco Mills are both important through roads that get so congested around rush hour while Neabsco Road is a dead end road with some neighborhoods and recreational areas along it. But I'm assuming a Widened Neabsco Road would make it easier and safer to walk/bike to Leesylvania State Park, Neabsco Eagles Park, and the Neabsco Creek Boardwalk as well as to the school and neighborhoods along it.

Jmiles32:

--- Quote from: Joseph R P on July 15, 2022, 06:48:58 PM ---I wonder if they'll work on widening the section of Telegraph Road between Prince William Parkway and Opitz Boulevard or Neabsco Mills Road before they do anything with Neabsco Road. Telegraph and Neabsco Mills are both important through roads that get so congested around rush hour while Neabsco Road is a dead end road with some neighborhoods and recreational areas along it. But I'm assuming a Widened Neabsco Road would make it easier and safer to walk/bike to Leesylvania State Park, Neabsco Eagles Park, and the Neabsco Creek Boardwalk as well as to the school and neighborhoods along it.

--- End quote ---

Haven't heard anything regarding Telegraph Road, but Neabsco Mills Road is currently being widened to US-1:
https://www.pwcva.gov/assets/documents/transportation/Neabsco%20Roll%20Out%20Plot%202%2013%202020.pdf

Joseph R P:

--- Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 15, 2022, 10:50:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: Joseph R P on July 15, 2022, 06:48:58 PM ---I wonder if they'll work on widening the section of Telegraph Road between Prince William Parkway and Opitz Boulevard or Neabsco Mills Road before they do anything with Neabsco Road. Telegraph and Neabsco Mills are both important through roads that get so congested around rush hour while Neabsco Road is a dead end road with some neighborhoods and recreational areas along it. But I'm assuming a Widened Neabsco Road would make it easier and safer to walk/bike to Leesylvania State Park, Neabsco Eagles Park, and the Neabsco Creek Boardwalk as well as to the school and neighborhoods along it.

--- End quote ---

Haven't heard anything regarding Telegraph Road, but Neabsco Mills Road is currently being widened to US-1:
https://www.pwcva.gov/assets/documents/transportation/Neabsco%20Roll%20Out%20Plot%202%2013%202020.pdf

--- End quote ---

If I recall correctly, the Neabsco Mills Road widening was slated to being in 2021 (or maybe early 2022), but I drove on it a couple days ago and nothing has started on it yet. Maybe the news source I read it from misunderstood the date they hoped to begin the project as when it will actually happen (alas the article was from a couple years ago). I do hope it starts soon though, I'd love the elimination of the cars that try to squeeze out of the right-turn-only lane at College Drive and cut off everyone that understands what "right lane must turn" means.

Jmiles32:

--- Quote from: Joseph R P on July 16, 2022, 09:10:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 15, 2022, 10:50:34 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

If I recall correctly, the Neabsco Mills Road widening was slated to being in 2021 (or maybe early 2022), but I drove on it a couple days ago and nothing has started on it yet. Maybe the news source I read it from misunderstood the date they hoped to begin the project as when it will actually happen (alas the article was from a couple years ago). I do hope it starts soon though, I'd love the elimination of the cars that try to squeeze out of the right-turn-only lane at College Drive and cut off everyone that understands what "right lane must turn" means.

--- End quote ---

A similar situation is happening with the VA-234/University Blvd intersection improvement project. Was originally suppose to begin in 2020 and then after being delayed for unclear (maybe covid?) reasons, again during this summer. However as far as I can tell from driving through the other day nothing started on it yet either. My very far fetched hope is that the county is reconsidering the project given the other interchanges being built/planned on VA-234 and the massive new mixed use development that was recently approved northeast of the intersection near the Hylton Performing Arts Center. Additionally, having IMO less needed interchanges planned at VA-234/Minnieville Road and US-1/VA-123 but not here never made sense to me. A pedestrian bridge is now needed on top of the planned intersection improvement project. Why not just knock out two birds with one stone Prince William? 

Ideally, VA-234 would be a freeway from I-66 all the way to Lake Jackson Drive and be getting the same gradual light removal approach that VA-28, VA-7 and now maybe soon even US-50 (in Loudoun) will get. From there to I-95, while improvements could be made I don't think interchanges are nearly as feasible.

https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2022/07/cash-infusion-moves-loudoun-co-closer-to-removing-stop-lights-on-us-50/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version