AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia  (Read 11642 times)

Joseph R P

• A fan of getting people places

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 12:53:07 PM
Re: Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2022, 11:04:25 AM »

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/updated-pw-digital-gateway-meeting-stretches-into-wednesday-morning/article_ed14f8f0-5a57-11ed-bd9d-f743c1753eea.html
https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/1626992/Item_3-A.pdf
(^Page 55 goes into potential infrastructure improvements)

Big changes are coming ahead for Prince William County as the controversial Digital Gateway rezoning, which would result in massive data centers being built along Pageland Lane (27.6 million square feet of data centers on 2,139 acres), was approved this morning by the PWC Board of Supervisors. As a result, Pageland Lane will be widened to four lanes in the near future along with other improvements like perhaps a direct connection from Pageland Lane to the I-66/VA-234 interchange. While I personally was not in favor of the digital gateway, now that it has been approved, I do think that there is now a legitimate opportunity for a new four-lane connection to Loudoun. However, instead of the previous "bi-county parkway" route that would encompass all of Pageland Lane and then go up Saunders lane (which would likely take many homes) connecting to Loudoun's Northstar Blvd, I think that instead, a better route would be to have an upgraded Pageland Lane veer northeast near Thornton Drive, cross VA-234 near Aldie Road, cross the Bull Run, and then tie into an upgraded Gum Spring Road in Loudoun by the quarry. Not only would this routing better connect to Dulles Airport (like the Bi-County Parkway was originally intended) and Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road (thanks to the new Arcola Blvd), but I also suspect that Loudoun would have no problem widening Gum Spring Road south of where the current four-lane section ends. Just my two cents. If Prince Wiliam County is going to do this, might as well do it right.

In my opinion, it would be better to have the VA 28 Bypass in Manassas built to provide a better connection from VA 234 to 28 towards Dulles, since a Bi-County Parkway would only take traffic directly to South Riding and require anyone heading to Dulles to make a long and sharp diversion off the parkway along US 50 to VA 28 to get into the airport. The Bi-County Parkway might be good for providing a more-direct route between Manassas and the Leesburg suburbs (but not really Dulles) and could relieve some VA 28 traffic (however the freeway section of 28 has never been badly congested that times I've been on it except for in the I 66 interchange construction site). All-in-all I think it would be better for PWC and Loudoun to work with what they have rather than make something new, especially with how controversial the Bi-County Parkway is.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: October 03, 2023, 02:52:13 PM
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2022, 05:36:53 PM »

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/updated-pw-digital-gateway-meeting-stretches-into-wednesday-morning/article_ed14f8f0-5a57-11ed-bd9d-f743c1753eea.html
https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/1626992/Item_3-A.pdf

Big changes are coming ahead for Prince William County as the controversial Digital Gateway rezoning, which would result in massive data centers being built along Pageland Lane (27.6 million square feet of data centers on 2,139 acres), was approved this morning by the PWC Board of Supervisors. As a result, Pageland Lane will be widened to four lanes in the near future along with other improvements like perhaps a direct connection from Pageland Lane to the I-66/VA-234 interchange. While I personally was not in favor of the digital gateway, now that it has been approved, I do think that there is now a legitimate opportunity for a new four-lane connection to Loudoun. However, instead of the previous "bi-county parkway" route that would encompass all of Pageland Lane and then go up Saunders lane (which would likely take many homes) connecting to Loudoun's Northstar Blvd, I think that instead, a better route would be to have an upgraded Pageland Lane veer northeast near Thornton Drive, cross VA-234 near Aldie Road, cross the Bull Run, and then tie into an upgraded Gum Spring Road in Loudoun by the quarry. Not only would this routing better connect to Dulles Airport (like the Bi-County Parkway was originally intended) and Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road (thanks to the new Arcola Blvd), but I also suspect that Loudoun would have no problem widening Gum Spring Road south of where the current four-lane section ends. Just my two cents. If Prince Wiliam County is going to do this, might as well do it right.

In my opinion, it would be better to have the VA 28 Bypass in Manassas built to provide a better connection from VA 234 to 28 towards Dulles, since a Bi-County Parkway would only take traffic directly to South Riding and require anyone heading to Dulles to make a long and sharp diversion off the parkway along US 50 to VA 28 to get into the airport. The Bi-County Parkway might be good for providing a more-direct route between Manassas and the Leesburg suburbs (but not really Dulles) and could relieve some VA 28 traffic (however the freeway section of 28 has never been badly congested that times I've been on it except for in the I 66 interchange construction site). All-in-all I think it would be better for PWC and Loudoun to work with what they have rather than make something new, especially with how controversial the Bi-County Parkway is.

I agree with your notion about the VA-28 Bypass being a better route to Dulles from VA-234. However, what I think is underestimated is amount of trips currently from Gainesville to the South Riding area and vice versa. If the entirely of Pageland Lane is widened, along with parts of US-29 and Sudley Road (west of the battlefield), these trips will increase regardless if roundabouts or a slow speed limit is put on Pageland. Gum Spring Road and Sanders Lane will become bottlenecks and there will be pressure to widen these roads too. I guess I just don't get the half ass-ery per say. The area is ruined and no longer rural, the main opponents of a Bi-County Parkway have sold their land. Might as well build it while you can get a good deal and avoid more problems in the future. 
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

MillTheRoadgeek

• Last Login: May 19, 2023, 12:58:05 PM
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2022, 01:20:20 AM »

Well, with the aforementioned proposals to create the western Dulles connector, that would go well with the Bi-County Parkway. Additionally, it still serves a good purpose to northern Loudoun given its connection to Northstar/Belmont Ridge.

All in all I'm still staunchly opposed to the 28 bypass, though I might like it a tad better than the BCP. Same goes for the Digital Gateway while I'm at it.

bluecountry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:30:09 PM
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2022, 03:34:53 PM »

Many things:

1.  BOCS may have approved but this has got to have another hurdle.  Lawsuits/appeals, etc.  this is hardly a done deal.  It is the 1st inning.
2.  BOCS made a provision that Pageland would NOT connect to 66, and I believe only limited portions at most would be four lanes.

I was a Transportation Planner with PWC at the time RT 28 alternate study was finishing.
They explored several options, one of which was the more Northeast alignment closer to 66 and Loudoun.  No chance that would ever happen, you can forget about it.  Reason?  That route goes through Bull Run Park and Ocoquoan water quality areas that needs an Army CORPS approval which will not happen.

Frankly, the bi-county parkway is an awful idea.  The one idea I liked was the long demised tri-county parkway but that ship has sailed.

Joseph R P

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2023, 03:35:05 PM »

I noticed lot of new anticipated transportation projects have quietly recently begun in the Neabsco/Potomac Mills area while driving around the area.

A couple months ago, Opitz Boulevard was narrowed down to one lane westbound across I-95 to prepare for the addition of a sidewalk along that side as well as the southbound-facing 95 Express Lanes ramp. Adjacent to the Optiz Boulevard project is the tree-clearing on the site of the Potomac Mills commuter garage. Both projects (technically part of one megaproject) will improve multi-modal access to the Potomac Mills mall, the Stonebridge mixed-use neighborhood, and the area as a whole. Now if only they'd add more sidewalks, crosswalks, and traffic signals in the Potomac Mills complex to compliment this and make it easier to actually navigate the area by foot once you're there...

Furthermore, near the Northern Virginia Community College, tree clearing and utility work preparing for the widening and addition of pedestrian/cyclist paths for Neabsco Mills Road has picked up. This is particularly exciting for me because it will remove the point where cars that want to continue south on the road, but are in the right lane, won't jump out of the turn-only lane into the college into the travel lane at the last second, cutting everyone off.

Jmiles32

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2023, 04:51:18 PM »

Many things:

1.  BOCS may have approved but this has got to have another hurdle.  Lawsuits/appeals, etc.  this is hardly a done deal.  It is the 1st inning.
2.  BOCS made a provision that Pageland would NOT connect to 66, and I believe only limited portions at most would be four lanes.

Frankly, the bi-county parkway is an awful idea.  The one idea I liked was the long demised tri-county parkway but that ship has sailed.

The best argument IMO against the bi-county parkway was all of the rural land in the area that it would open up for development. Now with that argument out the window (or at least appearing to be on track) I don't see the point of being against a four lane connection to Loudoun County while at the same time supporting the widening of Pageland Lane, US-29, and part of VA-234. All that will do is put more pressure on the residents of Saunders Lane to do the same thing as their Pageland neighbors (as Loudoun will undoubtably eventually widen Northstar Blvd and Gum Spring Road to the PWC line). Seems to me that this is a more complicated, expensive, and politically sneaky way for PWC to essentially do the Bi-county parkway while still officially being against it. At this point I would just say cut the crap.

bluecountry

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2023, 03:57:04 PM »

Many things:

The best argument IMO against the bi-county parkway was all of the rural land in the area that it would open up for development. Now with that argument out the window (or at least appearing to be on track) I don't see the point of being against a four lane connection to Loudoun County while at the same time supporting the widening of Pageland Lane, US-29, and part of VA-234. All that will do is put more pressure on the residents of Saunders Lane to do the same thing as their Pageland neighbors (as Loudoun will undoubtably eventually widen Northstar Blvd and Gum Spring Road to the PWC line). Seems to me that this is a more complicated, expensive, and politically sneaky way for PWC to essentially do the Bi-county parkway while still officially being against it. At this point I would just say cut the crap.
Absolutely not.  Horrible idea.
NO Bi-County Parkway.
Whatever growth happens it will induce way more sprawl.
Moreover, with limited $$$ why are we spending it on a corridor nobody but developers want?
If they want to pay to build, operate, and maintain that is one thing, but our tax dollars are needed in much different areas.
Moreover, before building a road as new route to Dulles, how about the existing routes there get more upgraded entrances to Dulles, because increasing traffic without entrances you know makes things worse.

Jmiles32

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2023, 04:34:51 PM »

Many things:

NO Bi-County Parkway.
Moreover, with limited $$$ why are we spending it on a corridor nobody but developers want?
If they want to pay to build, operate, and maintain that is one thing, but our tax dollars are needed in much different areas.
Moreover, before building a road as new route to Dulles, how about the existing routes there get more upgraded entrances to Dulles, because increasing traffic without entrances you know makes things worse.

I agree that limited taxpayer $$$ could and should be spent on way more pressing roadway improvements throughout the county. However, if this plan goes through, don't be surprised when PWC has to apply in a few years for funding to help cover the various needed roadway improvements those data centers will require. Overall this came down to a choice of either sprawl by new housing or new data centers, the latter of which particularly annoys me given that there is still plently of room for their designated development along VA-234 and Innovation Park.

bluecountry

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2023, 11:20:32 AM »

Many things:

NO Bi-County Parkway.

I agree that limited taxpayer $$$ could and should be spent on way more pressing roadway improvements throughout the county. However, if this plan goes through, don't be surprised when PWC has to apply in a few years for funding to help cover the various needed roadway improvements those data centers will require. Overall this came down to a choice of either sprawl by new housing or new data centers, the latter of which particularly annoys me given that there is still plently of room for their designated development along VA-234 and Innovation Park.
It did not have to be a choice of either.  This is PWC just selling out.

MillTheRoadgeek

• Last Login: May 19, 2023, 12:58:05 PM
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2023, 10:45:38 PM »

Balls Ford and 66 Express lanes ribbon cutting was today.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2023, 06:59:52 AM »

Balls Ford and 66 Express lanes ribbon cutting was today.

I did not see anything about the VA 234/Balls Ford Rd interchange opening....
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2023, 12:53:07 PM »

I saw this because VDOT Northern Virginia retweeted it:

https://twitter.com/ChairWheeler/status/1651991687466561546
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bluecountry

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2023, 11:42:56 AM »

Stupid.  I thought this would be grade separated.  Almost seems like what is the point.  A real bypass has no traffic signals.
I don’t believe the proposal was ever anything more than a surface road… What defines a “real”  bypass exactly? This road would bypass the downtown core and take through traffic away, seems like a bypass to me.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2023, 11:51:21 AM »

Stupid.  I thought this would be grade separated.  Almost seems like what is the point.  A real bypass has no traffic signals.
I don’t believe the proposal was ever anything more than a surface road… What defines a “real”  bypass exactly? This road would bypass the downtown core and take through traffic away, seems like a bypass to me.

To name but two, the Route 15 bypass of Leesburg has had traffic signals for as long as I can remember on the east side of town, and the Route 250 Charlottesville bypass had a light at McIntire Road for years, although it's now been eliminated; it still has another one at the intersection of Rugby and Hydraulic Roads.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:02:04 PM
    • WillWeaverRVA Photography
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2023, 12:43:50 PM »

Route 28 Bypass Proposal Released https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiqyr_WuN7-AhU4BzQIHXKnAocQFnoECAkQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.insidenova.com%2Fheadlines%2Fproposed-route-28-bypass-route-released-dozens-of-properties-in-raze-zone%2Farticle_5c57ba8e-df75-11ed-a2c7-3797102ee299.html&usg=AOvVaw0CpPcSRQrT5lb094CDlCuA

Plenty of bypasses have traffic signals. They don't have to be full freeways. All that matters is that they flow better than the road they're bypassing, which a VA 28 bypass of downtown Manassas and Manassas Park certainly would even if it has a few signals.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2023, 02:49:57 PM »

By my count, the existing route between the proposed VA 28 Manassas bypass endpoints has 14 signals (15 if going northbound...there's an extra signal on the NB side of the one-way pair) and is not limited-access.  By comparison, the bypass looks like it will have 8 signals and be at least limited-access except at the southernmost end.  The bypass will also be about a half-mile shorter.

seicer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2023, 03:27:32 PM »

I don't know why that link wants me to open Finder on my Mac, but here is the presentation: https://route28bypass.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/FINAL_PWC-PIMs-Meeting_PPT_Apr-2023.pdf

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:18:01 PM
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2023, 05:59:10 PM »

Route 28 Bypass Proposal Released https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiqyr_WuN7-AhU4BzQIHXKnAocQFnoECAkQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.insidenova.com%2Fheadlines%2Fproposed-route-28-bypass-route-released-dozens-of-properties-in-raze-zone%2Farticle_5c57ba8e-df75-11ed-a2c7-3797102ee299.html&usg=AOvVaw0CpPcSRQrT5lb094CDlCuA

Unlike current Route 28, this road will be limited access and it will have fewer signalized current intersections than the current one. Also, it seems like there's sufficient ROW to replace those intersections with interchanges at some point in the future, which would be needed since this is the most logical route for an outer Beltway.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2023, 08:33:37 PM »

This roadway has a boulevard cross section, curb & gutter, 11 ft lanes, narrow median, it’s going to be no more than a 45-55 mph arterial. It will bring relief, but it’s not a freeway.

Any “outer beltway”  routing is likely to follow VA-234 / Prince William Parkway, which is a limited access highway with a freeway cross section, it just needs a few signalized intersections removed.

Joseph R P

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2023, 03:12:19 PM »

Unlike current Route 28, this road will be limited access and it will have fewer signalized current intersections than the current one. Also, it seems like there's sufficient ROW to replace those intersections with interchanges at some point in the future, which would be needed since this is the most logical route for an outer Beltway.

There will be no full-freeway 'Outer Beltway' within our lifetimes, and I highly doubt there will ever be something remotely resemblant of a single designated route, let alone one built as a contiguous roadway. VA 28 through Manassas is not an ideal location for a 495-like freeway - there are too many homes and parks adjacent to it. It would be so much less-disturbant and cheaper to widen US 15 to 4 lanes up to Leesburg from Gainesville.

Other things that prevent this from ever happening are:

- the lack of room to build a bridge between Prince William and Charles Counties as well as the extreme expense of building such a large bridge
- the lack of room to build any freeway upgrades along Dumfries Road without tearing into the Prince William Forest Park, which is NPS land, or nearby developments (I'm not against changing some of the T-intersections to green-Ts or minor intersections to Michigan-lefts however)
- the opposition of the Bi-County Parkway from residents in the PWC rural crescent
- the lack of room to build a bridge between Loudoun and Montgomery Counties (again, impossible due to the requirement of cutting through NPS land as well as more subdivisions, some being prime real estate)

VDOT and the local governments need to focus on improving and expanding upon existing roads and transit rather than building new freeways through valuable and historic land inhabited by people who clearly do not want it.

bluecountry

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2023, 08:05:57 PM »

This roadway has a boulevard cross section, curb & gutter, 11 ft lanes, narrow median, it’s going to be no more than a 45-55 mph arterial. It will bring relief, but it’s not a freeway.

Any “outer beltway”  routing is likely to follow VA-234 / Prince William Parkway, which is a limited access highway with a freeway cross section, it just needs a few signalized intersections removed.
At the very least there needs to be a grade separated interchange at Route 28, this is a disaster.

Joseph R P

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2023, 07:17:05 PM »

On June 6, the University Boulevard extension, Summit School Road extension + Telegraph Road widening, Rollins Ford Road/Estate Manor Drive and Rollins Ford Road/Song Sparrow Drive/Yellow Hammer Drive roundabouts, and the North Woodbridge–VRE station pedestrian bridge across US 1.

https://www.pwcva.gov/news/board-county-supervisors-budget-and-appropriate-funding-several-transportation-projects-across

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2023, 08:06:25 AM »

https://www.pwcva.gov/news/board-county-supervisors-authorizes-public-hearing-interchange-minnieville-road-prince-william

Supervisors approved a public hearing on the Minnieville Rd/Prince William Pkwy interchange project.  The current proposal is for a SPUI with the Parkway as the "through route".  The project is mostly funded via the 2019 bond referendum.  Tentative construction 2025-2027.

Joseph R P

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2023, 06:47:02 PM »

Looking at the PWC-County Mapper imagery from early 2023, it appears the tree-clearing process has begun for the Summit School Road extension.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.