AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia  (Read 11643 times)

Joseph R P

• A fan of getting people places

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 12:53:07 PM
Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia
« on: June 08, 2022, 05:01:05 PM »

Prince William County, a suburban county south of the Washington Metropolitan Area, is going to be receiving a lot of new major road improvements in the coming years, including new interchanges and intersection improvements along Prince William Parkway (VA 234/294) and miscellaneous improvements to I-95, such as a new southbound auxiliary lane to hopefully speed up the nightly slowdown across the Occoquan River as well as new southbound HOT lane ramps at Opitz Boulevard to provide better access to a new PRTC commuter garage.

The most notable of these upcoming changes just recently broke ground in March. This is the new complex interchange for Prince William Parkway, Dumfries Road, and Brentsville Road, also simply known as the Brentsville Interchange project. Currently, there are two signalized interchanges, met at by four different highways: VA 234, VA 234 BUS, VA 294, and SR 649. With all these high-traffic commuter routes, most of them high-speed, meeting at two close-together signalized intersections, this is a very accident-prone area and is unsafe to other cross-traffic, pedestrians, and cyclists. Here is what it currently looks like:

Initially, VDOT considered using a double diamond interchange, like the ones seen along Fairfax County Parkway, which would have the road alignment look similar to this:

Instead, they came up with a half-interchange, half-intersection design, which looked like this:

The intersection, which would be a 4-way intersection paired with a half-trumpet ramp connection between VA 234 South and VA 294, was replaced with a fully grade-separated interchange design, retaining the half-trumpet but adding more ramps and replacing the intersection with an overpass:

For a second time, they once again redesigned the proposed interchange, with the final product going to be the second interchange design, just more condensed:

This is just one of the new highway projects along Prince William Parkway. The diverging diamond interchange at Balls Ford Road is about halfway complete, and there are several other proposed projects too, including a single-point urban interchange at Sudley Manor Road (which includes an overpass for Wellington Road), a quadrant intersection at University Boulevard which will extend Discover Boulevard to PWP, a dumbbell intersection at Clover Hill Road, which uses roundabout to make left turns between the intersecting roads, and a single-point urban interchange at Minnieville Road to go along with the new Quartz District mixed-use neighborhood development project.

To give my opinion, I'm hoping that VA 234 around Manassas is fully-upgraded to a freeway rather than having its at-grade intersections improved. This road gets backed up for miles and has constant collisions due to the signalized intersections and investing in SPUIs for University Boulevard and Clover Hill Road sounds better in my opinion, but it seems this all has to do with costs. Maybe for another time in the future.

All that aside, I'm interested to see how this new interchange will turn out, and perhaps these new road projects, particularly the ones around Manassas, open a window for more frequent bus service between Manassas and the Dumfries/Woodbridge area, as well as an extended shared-use path along VA 234, both offering easier commutes for people who don't own cars.

What do you all think of the new interchange (and other projects)?

bluecountry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:30:09 PM
Re: Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 07:05:19 PM »

Do you work for PWC?
I read that intersection had complaints about the interchange being woefully inadequate for cyclists and pedestrians, has that been corrected?

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:18:01 PM
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 07:58:44 PM »

Virginia is getting closer and closer to having an Outer Beltway. If nothing else, I imagine this could draw traffic off of 95 north of Dumfries.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 04:27:46 AM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 06:53:55 AM »

Virginia is getting closer and closer to having an Outer Beltway. If nothing else, I imagine this could draw traffic off of 95 north of Dumfries.

To go where?  Making the Manassas Bypass a few minutes faster than it currently is would draw additional I-95 NB traffic how?

Envisioning VA 234 as the outer beltway is a stretch.  There are at least 13 stop lights between I-95 and the VA 294/SR 649 interchange location.  Also numerous other at grade intersections.

bluecountry

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 06:57:47 AM »

If I knew how to I would create a map in google kmz/mnl that showed my proposal for the outer beltway going clockwise:

-'ICC extension' from the current ICC terminus at I-95 in Laurel to Rt 50, 6 lanes
-'Brandywine bypass' from Rt 50 to Rt 301 by Brandywine, 4 lanes
-'Potomac expressway' from Brandy in an arc to the Potomac straight across from the southern end of Quantico MB, 4 lanes until at the new bridge, which is 6 lanes
-'Quantico expressway' from the Potomac along the perimeter of the Quantico MB, up to PW PKWY, 4 lanes
-'PW expressway' where the PW Pkwy would be upgraded to a full interstate with 6 to 8 lanes to I-66
-'Bi County expressway' from PW Pkwy and I-66 going north but more on the tai-county NOT bi county route to intersect with 50 and Rt 606 in Loudoun, 4 lanes
-'Dulles Expressway' from Rt 50 on Rt 606 crossing the Greenway with a new west exit to Dulles Airport and then going straight north  over the Loudoun County Parkway to Rt 7, 6 lanes
-'Techway' from Rt 7 across to the ICC, 6 lanes until over the Potomac Bridge, then 4 lanes

All segments tolled except for the PW Expressway.
Minimal exits to prevent sprawl and keep this as intended-a bypass for 95 to Baltimore/NY traffic, 95 to Dulles/PA Turnpike traffic
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 02:58:22 PM by bluecountry »

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 06:59:09 AM »

Creating a map in kilohertz...? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 07:14:30 AM »

Looks like autocorrect to me. Maybe it was supposed to be a .kmz file?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kernals12

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 07:16:24 AM »

If I knew how to I would create a map in google kHz that showed my proposal for the outer beltway going clockwise:

-'ICC extension' from the current ICC terminus at I-95 in Laurel to Rt 50, 6 lanes
-'Brandywine bypass' from Rt 50 to Rt 301 by Brandywine, 4 lanes
-'Potomac expressway' from Brandy in an arc to the Potomac straight across from the southern end of Quantico MB, 4 lanes until at the new bridge, which is 6 lanes
-'Quantico expressway' from the Potomac along the perimeter of the Quantico MB, up to PW PKWY, 4 lanes
-'PW expressway' where the PW Pkwy would be upgraded to a full interstate with 6 to 8 lanes to I-66
-'Bi County expressway' from PW Pkwy and I-66 going north but more on the tai-county NOT bi county route to intersect with 50 and Rt 606 in Loudoun, 4 lanes
-'Dulles Expressway' from Rt 50 on Rt 606 crossing the Greenway with a new west exit to Dulles Airport and then going straight north  over the Loudoun County Parkway to Rt 7, 6 lanes
-'Techway' from Rt 7 across to the ICC, 6 lanes until over the Potomac Bridge, then 4 lanes

All segments tolled except for the PW Expressway.
Minimal exits to prevent sprawl and keep this as intended-a bypass for 95 to Baltimore/NY traffic, 95 to Dulles/PA Turnpike traffic

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EG7qT3s-eWf2fs3ilt-tMhhy9VGwksA-&usp=sharing

Mine uses VA 28, VA 234, I-370, US 301, and MD 210.

I think upgrading existing roads is a more elegant solution.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 07:17:47 AM »

Looks like autocorrect to me. Maybe it was supposed to be a .kmz file?
More than likely, but autocorrect even capitalized the H. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Joseph R P

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »

Do you work for PWC?
I read that intersection had complaints about the interchange being woefully inadequate for cyclists and pedestrians, has that been corrected?

No, I just live here. I can't really tell but it looks like in the 3rd design images that the paths will cross over the ramps and at-grade intersections with crosswalks. It appears to be the most basic of pedestrian/cyclist infrastructure at a glance but maybe they will make improvements later on or there are some safety features I don't see.

Joseph R P

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 12:53:14 PM »

If the Bi-County Parkway is built, then yeah, a new half-beltway for people who want to basically avoid Nova. It's an interesting idea on paper and I would love an easier way to get up past Leesburg from where I am in southern PWC. However, I really don't think they should create an outer beltway. Dumfries Road is already jam-packed with trucks and commuters every evening and with all the new development happening along the southern corridor in Dumfries, to have an Interstate's amount of traffic, stop and go at every light and yielding for the pedestrians, horrifies me. They would have to either widen VA 234 or upgrade it to a freeway, both of with are practically impossible and would tear up the newer frontage roads, driveways, and sidepaths.

I think they should just make dual-carriageway EZ-Pass lanes along I-95 and think of extending the Metro to Quantico.

To add on, making an outer beltway would undoubtedly just create more sprawl, turning Manassas into a Fairfax and Warrenton into a Manassas.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 12:56:26 PM by Joseph R P »

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 12:23:02 AM »

Any effective outer bypass needs to be built on new location and be designed to limit local traffic by spacing interchanges far apart only at major junctions.

An eastern bypass along US-301 would be the way to go, IMO.

However, for the sake of local traffic flow alone, one or both of the parkways to the west of I-95 going to I-66, whether it be VA-234 or VA-286, need to be upgraded to freeway standards. They already carry freeway levels of traffic and mixed with intersections does not create a safe driving environment.

Joseph R P

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 02:20:28 AM »

VA 286 would be a much easier upgrade to a freeway considering the section between I 95 and VA 289 and the one between Popes Head Road and US 50 are already at freeway standards with more interchanges planned to be built between them. VA 294 and the Dumfries Road section of VA 234 have a lot of private properties along them so upgrading them to freeways would be much more difficult.

kernals12

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 07:17:13 AM »

VA 286 would be a much easier upgrade to a freeway considering the section between I 95 and VA 289 and the one between Popes Head Road and US 50 are already at freeway standards with more interchanges planned to be built between them. VA 294 and the Dumfries Road section of VA 234 have a lot of private properties along them so upgrading them to freeways would be much more difficult.

But VA 234 intersects with VA 28 which runs by Dulles Airport.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 09:16:43 AM »

How does that in any way respond to what Joseph R P said?

The timing of Joseph R P's comment is amusing to me because yesterday afternoon my mom stopped by our place to pick something up that I'd ordered for her. She was coming from Centreville and she took Braddock Road to the southbound Fairfax County Parkway. She grumbled about how it took forever to get from Braddock through the light at Popes Head Road a short distance away but that it then opened up such that it took her about 40 minutes total to make the trip (which is not bad for a trip starting at 3:40 PM). I was rather amused by that given that the Popes Head light is slated for removal when an interchange is constructed there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kernals12

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 09:59:33 AM »

The timing of Joseph R P's comment is amusing to me because yesterday afternoon my mom stopped by our place to pick something up that I'd ordered for her. She was coming from Centreville and she took Braddock Road to the southbound Fairfax County Parkway. She grumbled about how it took forever to get from Braddock through the light at Popes Head Road a short distance away but that it then opened up such that it took her about 40 minutes total to make the trip (which is not bad for a trip starting at 3:40 PM). I was rather amused by that given that the Popes Head light is slated for removal when an interchange is constructed there.

It matters because the route that serves Dulles will be used more and therefore be a more profitable investment

1995hoo

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 10:11:59 AM »

It matters because the route that serves Dulles will be used more and therefore be a more profitable investment

Perhaps unsurprisingly, you continue to fail to respond to his comment, which says (in relevant part) as follows and which has nothing whatsoever to do with Dulles Airport–but, even then, VA-286 serves Dulles via a very direct connection using the Dulles Access Road (it's one of the two most direct ways to Dulles Airport from where I live, for example, the other being the Beltway to the Access Road).

"VA-286 would be a much easier upgrade to a freeway .... VA-294 and the Dumfries Road section of VA-234 have a lot of private properties along them so upgrading them to freeways would be much more difficult."

But I know that comment doesn't say what you want to hear, so you'll automatically dismiss it as invalid.

kernals12

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2022, 10:45:01 AM »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, you continue to fail to respond to his comment, which says (in relevant part) as follows and which has nothing whatsoever to do with Dulles Airport–but, even then, VA-286 serves Dulles via a very direct connection using the Dulles Access Road (it's one of the two most direct ways to Dulles Airport from where I live, for example, the other being the Beltway to the Access Road).

"VA-286 would be a much easier upgrade to a freeway .... VA-294 and the Dumfries Road section of VA-234 have a lot of private properties along them so upgrading them to freeways would be much more difficult."

But I know that comment doesn't say what you want to hear, so you'll automatically dismiss it as invalid.

Thanks for reminding me why you're on my "ignore" list

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2022, 11:04:25 AM »

So… a poster brings up a valid argument and because it doesn’t meet your narrative, you dismiss it? Makes a lot of sense why most users don’t take your arguments seriously half the time.

kernals12

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2022, 11:06:00 AM »

So… a poster brings up a valid argument and because it doesn’t meet your narrative, you dismiss it? Makes a lot of sense why most users don’t take your arguments seriously half the time.

He made an argument in favor of one route, I made an argument in favor of another. That's how a debate works

1995hoo

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2022, 11:06:40 AM »

Thanks for reminding me why you're on my "ignore" list

Evidently, you must really adhere to that "ignore" list too, seeing as how you've just read and responded to my comments multiple times without having seen them by virtue of someone else quoting them (that is, you yourself obviously clicked on them to display the comments).

If you can't deal with opinions that disagree with yours, or with people who question your credibility when you quote a post and then fail to respond to anything it says, then you're probably too thin-skinned or too poorly-educated to be posting on a forum of this sort. But, hey, you're welcome to continue to destroy whatever credibility you may have had.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2022, 10:21:52 PM »

He made an argument in favor of one route, I made an argument in favor of another. That's how a debate works

Okay.  So here's another argument against your route:  you seem to forget or ignore that, while 234 DOES intersect 28, it does so on the south side of Manassas.  Which means one would have to travel through Manassas to access Dulles.  Improving 28 south of Bull Run (or "cutting the corner" via Liberia Ave) would run into the same adjacent private property argument Joseph R P made regarding 234 but with several more orders of magnitude.  Using 234 to 66 adds significant distance...bout 17 miles between 234/294 and 66/28.  And before you bring up the Bi-County Parkway, that would put people on the BACK side of Dulles, not the side where the terminal is.

Joseph R P

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2022, 04:04:46 PM »

VA 234 does intersect with VA 28, but getting through Manassas from the Manassas area to the airport without the bypass existing yet is a nightmare. You can take VA 294 to Liberia Avenue and follow 28 up to where it becomes a freeway, but through Manassas and Centreville, 28 is as bad as US 1 in Woodbridge pre-widening, and isn't built up to as much traffic as it can handle and has a billion stoplights along it. Alternatively, you could follow 234 to 66 to 28, but that's an unnecessarily long acute-angled circumnavigation of Manassas.

So, if you're in Manassas, it sucks getting through Manassas, meaning that it's even worse getting through the city when you live outside of it, like in, for example, Dumfries. If you're in Dumfries, it's better to just take 123 to 286 and follow that to 66, which will almost instantly connect to the VA 28 freeway. This way, you'll be on a fully-expressway/freeway route without having to go through messy thoroughfare route that takes you in the longer route to your destination anyway.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 01:03:37 AM by Joseph R P »

bluecountry

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2022, 05:45:06 PM »

I wonder if the Washington Commanders being in PWC MIGHT be the impetus needed to get I-95 in NOVA to become 12/14 lanes like the NJTP?

kernals12

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2022, 05:52:18 PM »

I wonder if the Washington Commanders being in PWC MIGHT be the impetus needed to get I-95 in NOVA to become 12/14 lanes like the NJTP?

I thought VDOT concluded that it would not be cost effective?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.