Road improvements in Prince William County, Virginia

Started by Joseph R P, June 08, 2022, 05:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: bluecountry on June 11, 2022, 05:45:06 PM
I wonder if the Washington Commanders being in PWC MIGHT be the impetus needed to get I-95 in NOVA to become 12/14 lanes like the NJTP?

That makes a pretty big assumption that, at least as of the past few days' developments, is unwarranted.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Joseph R P

US 1 (Fraley Boulevard/Main Street) widening through Dumfries to begin soon: https://princewilliamliving.com/widening-fraley-boulevard-route-1-through-dumfries-on-pace-to-begin/

This project that will go on until 2027 is nearing its groundbreaking, which will replace a both 2-3 lane one-way (Fraley Boulevard) and semi-two directional (Main Street) pair of roads, into a six-lane thoroughfare and a two-lane local road (which may possibly become a business route). Currently, both are mostly lacking in pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, but dead-end sidewalks are planned to be extended and connected to each other and the Route 1 Sidepath, discontinuously appearing throughout the left side of US 1, will be expanded to follow along Fraley Boulevard.

This project will help ease traffic and keep the historic Dumfries area more peaceful from through traffic while also better-connecting cyclists and pedestrians to their destinations in one of Prince William County's more populous and fastest-growing areas.

Here's what the current situation looks like: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/38.5621/-77.3299

1995hoo

Thanks for that. I didn't know that was in the cards. I haven't driven south all that much in the past couple of years, and the southern extension of the I-95 express lanes has reduced the need to bail out to US-1. Be interesting to see that segment when it's done.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

It will match up with the modern 6-lane routing already built through Triangle, which removed every business on US 1 in Triangle.

It looks like it is possible this Dumfries project will have to take out at least some businesses but wouldn't have to be the scorched earth widening Triangle was.

Joseph R P

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 13, 2022, 08:16:34 PM
It will match up with the modern 6-lane routing already built through Triangle, which removed every business on US 1 in Triangle.

It looks like it is possible this Dumfries project will have to take out at least some businesses but wouldn't have to be the scorched earth widening Triangle was.

This similarly happened along US 1 in "Downtown" Woodbridge, some of the small businesses were relocated to newer buildings built on top of empty parking lot space on the other side of the highway. Thankfully, a six-lane US 1 between Quantico and the Occoquan River is nearing completion, so not much more damage can be done (but unfortunately I happen to live along one of the final stretches of four-lane US 1- between Cardinal Drive/Neabsco Road and Dumfries Road- so years of construction right outside my neighborhood is going to be real fun).

D-Dey65

Quote from: Joseph R P on June 13, 2022, 06:24:55 PM
US 1 (Fraley Boulevard/Main Street) widening through Dumfries to begin soon: https://princewilliamliving.com/widening-fraley-boulevard-route-1-through-dumfries-on-pace-to-begin/

This project that will go on until 2027 is nearing its groundbreaking, which will replace a both 2-3 lane one-way (Fraley Boulevard) and semi-two directional (Main Street) pair of roads, into a six-lane thoroughfare and a two-lane local road (which may possibly become a business route). Currently, both are mostly lacking in pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, but dead-end sidewalks are planned to be extended and connected to each other and the Route 1 Sidepath, discontinuously appearing throughout the left side of US 1, will be expanded to follow along Fraley Boulevard.

This project will help ease traffic and keep the historic Dumfries area more peaceful from through traffic while also better-connecting cyclists and pedestrians to their destinations in one of Prince William County's more populous and fastest-growing areas.

Here's what the current situation looks like: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/38.5621/-77.3299
Okay, why is there even a two-way portion along the southbound lanes now? Is there any reason they just can't convert the existing one-way pair of Main Street and Fraley Boulevard into six lanes and still add the pedestrian and bicycle friendly features they want?

Mapmikey

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 17, 2022, 08:10:26 PM
Quote from: Joseph R P on June 13, 2022, 06:24:55 PM

Okay, why is there even a two-way portion along the southbound lanes now? Is there any reason they just can't convert the existing one-way pair of Main Street and Fraley Boulevard into six lanes and still add the pedestrian and bicycle friendly features they want?

Because 90% of Dumfries would not be reachable from US 1 NB without going past Dumfries and turning around. There are zero roads between the alignments other than one near the south end of the split.

When I lived in Dumfries in 1995 the southbound alignment didn't even have 2 lanes all the way through town, causing big backups during the afternoons.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Joseph R P on June 14, 2022, 12:55:09 AM
Thankfully, a six-lane US 1 between Quantico and the Occoquan River is nearing completion, so not much more damage can be done (but unfortunately I happen to live along one of the final stretches of four-lane US 1- between Cardinal Drive/Neabsco Road and Dumfries Road- so years of construction right outside my neighborhood is going to be real fun).
Is there a timetable yet for when that final stretch will actually be constructed? Have not seen or heard anything.

Moving forward road project wise, I would like to see Prince William prioritize funding the following projects next:
1. Van Buren Road Extension
2. Finishing the six-laning of US-1
3. Building an interchange at VA-234/Sudley Manor Drive (with a Wellington Road overpass)
4. Adding a designated right turn lane at VA-55/Catharpin Road

The NVTA and perhaps the next county road bond would probably be the most likely funding sources. While the US-15 two lane choke at the grade separated railroad crossing in Haymarket is certainly annoying, it is still not as needed imo as the projects above.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Joseph R P

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 02, 2022, 08:13:15 AM
Thankfully, a six-lane US 1 between Quantico and the Occoquan River is nearing completion, so not much more damage can be done (but unfortunately I happen to live along one of the final stretches of four-lane US 1- between Cardinal Drive/Neabsco Road and Dumfries Road- so years of construction right outside my neighborhood is going to be real fun).
Is there a timetable yet for when that final stretch will actually be constructed? Have not seen or heard anything.

Moving forward road project wise, I would like to see Prince William prioritize funding the following projects next:
3. Building an interchange at VA-234/Sudley Manor Drive (with a Wellington Road overpass)

The NVTA and perhaps the next county road bond would probably be the most likely funding sources. While the US-15 two lane choke at the grade separated railroad crossing in Haymarket is certainly annoying, it is still not as needed imo as the projects above.

I'm not sure when the final stretch will be completed, but probably soon after the Dumfries and Woodbridge widening projects are completed.

Also, I'd love for the Van Buren Road extension to see the light of day. It would take so much traffic off of US 1 around Dumfries, but I feel like NIMBYs are going to stop it. I would also love to see either Van Buren or Gideon be extended to bypass Benita Fitzgerald and Dale to make driving between Dumfries and Potomac Mills a quick straight shot, but I think there's some museum being build near Dale and Gideon that would interfere with the right-of-way.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Joseph R P on July 02, 2022, 08:11:55 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 02, 2022, 08:13:15 AM

I'm not sure when the final stretch will be completed, but probably soon after the Dumfries and Woodbridge widening projects are completed.

Also, I'd love for the Van Buren Road extension to see the light of day. It would take so much traffic off of US 1 around Dumfries, but I feel like NIMBYs are going to stop it. I would also love to see either Van Buren or Gideon be extended to bypass Benita Fitzgerald and Dale to make driving between Dumfries and Potomac Mills a quick straight shot, but I think there's some museum being build near Dale and Gideon that would interfere with the right-of-way.
https://thenovaauthority.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/NVTA-FY2022-2027-SYP-PPC-Recommendations.pdf
While the Van Buren Road extension is indeed controversial, a vast majority of that opposition is coming from the Four Seasons retirement community that would lose their wooded buffer from I-95. Regardless, it appears that Prince William is still moving forward with the project as not only is the county currently undertaking an environmental impact study for it, but they also recently requested and received partial funding for its eventual construction from the NVTA. Ultimately, I'm glad that the county seems to understand that adding more capacity and local alternatives to the I-95 corridor is essential.

Jmiles32

Here are the projects in PWC and Manassas that will either be fully or partially funded by the NVTA in the coming years (2022-2027):
https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/northern-virginia-transportation-authority-to-finalize-6-year-program/article_487748fa-039c-11ed-9b06-93df251a0c87.html
QuoteThe Northern Virginia Transportation Authority is considering funding 20 projects for its 2022-2027 six-year program update while leaving six candidate projects unfunded, four of which were submitted by Prince William County.

For Prince William County, NVTA staff is recommending the full $53 million requested to extend the four-lane University Boulevard from Devlin to Wellington Road. The county already has additional Virginia Department of Transportation money and federal funding lined up to pay for the project.

"This is the last piece of University Boulevard in the [Comprehensive] Plan, and once this is completed we'll have a full University Boulevard from Route 29 all the way to Godwin Drive,"  County Planning Manager Paolo Belita told InsideNoVa. "It's a new facility, and there's a lot going on in that side of the county."

The recommendation is also to approve the full $25 million requested by the county to widen Old Bridge Road from Colby Drive to Minnieville Road. Staff is also recommending the partial approval of two funding requests: $8 of the $80 million requested to extend Van Buren Road from Route 234 to Cardinal Drive and $3 of the $61.2 million requested for a new interchange at U.S. 1 and Route 123.

At the 1-123 interchange, the county is looking to construct a new four-lane overpass that would carry 123 over U.S. 1 in Woodbridge to replace the regularly-congested, at-grade traffic signal intersection. Belita said the project has some federal funding lined up to begin the preliminary engineering for the interchange and that the county would be submitting for VDOT funding.

"We're trying to leverage it with other sources of funding,"  he told InsideNoVa.

In Manassas, NVTA staff is recommending approval for the full $8.8 million requested to add a third eastbound lane to Liberia Avenue from Route 28 to Euclid Avenue. That was the only project submitted by the city this round.

Of the six candidate projects that go unfunded by staff's recommended plan, four come from Prince William. Among those requests are the county's $96 million project to widen Old Centreville Road from the Fairfax County line to Route 28, $67.5 million for a new interchange at Prince William Parkway and Minnieville Road, $35 million to widen Devlin Road from Linton Hall to University Boulevard and $26.5 million to widen Neabsco Road from Route 1 to Daniel Ludwig Drive.Belita said the county plans to submit projects that received partial funding for VDOT SMART SCALE funding and will likely re-submit projects in the coming years. Primarily, he said, the chances of any one project are based on how the NVTA scores it and what other jurisdictions submit.

"It's all relative to what other jurisdictions are submitting. All our projects have some significant needs ... and it all depends on what projects are submitted and how much we ask,"  Belita said. "We'll look at other funding opportunities, we'll circle back to see if we need to look at our estimates again, do some more coordination."  

And for anyone interested in the recommended NVTA 2022-2027 funding scenario for the entire region: https://thenovaauthority.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/NVTA-FY2022-2027-SYP-PPC-Recommendations.pdf

Joseph R P

I wonder if they'll work on widening the section of Telegraph Road between Prince William Parkway and Opitz Boulevard or Neabsco Mills Road before they do anything with Neabsco Road. Telegraph and Neabsco Mills are both important through roads that get so congested around rush hour while Neabsco Road is a dead end road with some neighborhoods and recreational areas along it. But I'm assuming a Widened Neabsco Road would make it easier and safer to walk/bike to Leesylvania State Park, Neabsco Eagles Park, and the Neabsco Creek Boardwalk as well as to the school and neighborhoods along it.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Joseph R P on July 15, 2022, 06:48:58 PM
I wonder if they'll work on widening the section of Telegraph Road between Prince William Parkway and Opitz Boulevard or Neabsco Mills Road before they do anything with Neabsco Road. Telegraph and Neabsco Mills are both important through roads that get so congested around rush hour while Neabsco Road is a dead end road with some neighborhoods and recreational areas along it. But I'm assuming a Widened Neabsco Road would make it easier and safer to walk/bike to Leesylvania State Park, Neabsco Eagles Park, and the Neabsco Creek Boardwalk as well as to the school and neighborhoods along it.

Haven't heard anything regarding Telegraph Road, but Neabsco Mills Road is currently being widened to US-1:
https://www.pwcva.gov/assets/documents/transportation/Neabsco%20Roll%20Out%20Plot%202%2013%202020.pdf

Joseph R P

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 15, 2022, 10:50:34 PM

Haven't heard anything regarding Telegraph Road, but Neabsco Mills Road is currently being widened to US-1:
https://www.pwcva.gov/assets/documents/transportation/Neabsco%20Roll%20Out%20Plot%202%2013%202020.pdf

If I recall correctly, the Neabsco Mills Road widening was slated to being in 2021 (or maybe early 2022), but I drove on it a couple days ago and nothing has started on it yet. Maybe the news source I read it from misunderstood the date they hoped to begin the project as when it will actually happen (alas the article was from a couple years ago). I do hope it starts soon though, I'd love the elimination of the cars that try to squeeze out of the right-turn-only lane at College Drive and cut off everyone that understands what "right lane must turn" means.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Joseph R P on July 16, 2022, 09:10:21 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 15, 2022, 10:50:34 PM

If I recall correctly, the Neabsco Mills Road widening was slated to being in 2021 (or maybe early 2022), but I drove on it a couple days ago and nothing has started on it yet. Maybe the news source I read it from misunderstood the date they hoped to begin the project as when it will actually happen (alas the article was from a couple years ago). I do hope it starts soon though, I'd love the elimination of the cars that try to squeeze out of the right-turn-only lane at College Drive and cut off everyone that understands what "right lane must turn" means.

A similar situation is happening with the VA-234/University Blvd intersection improvement project. Was originally suppose to begin in 2020 and then after being delayed for unclear (maybe covid?) reasons, again during this summer. However as far as I can tell from driving through the other day nothing started on it yet either. My very far fetched hope is that the county is reconsidering the project given the other interchanges being built/planned on VA-234 and the massive new mixed use development that was recently approved northeast of the intersection near the Hylton Performing Arts Center. Additionally, having IMO less needed interchanges planned at VA-234/Minnieville Road and US-1/VA-123 but not here never made sense to me. A pedestrian bridge is now needed on top of the planned intersection improvement project. Why not just knock out two birds with one stone Prince William? 

Ideally, VA-234 would be a freeway from I-66 all the way to Lake Jackson Drive and be getting the same gradual light removal approach that VA-28, VA-7 and now maybe soon even US-50 (in Loudoun) will get. From there to I-95, while improvements could be made I don't think interchanges are nearly as feasible.

https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2022/07/cash-infusion-moves-loudoun-co-closer-to-removing-stop-lights-on-us-50/

Jmiles32

Here's what's being planned at the VA-234/Clover Hill Road intersection:
https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/bowtie-intersection-planned-for-busy-manassas-corridor/article_6e69d486-2db5-11ed-bf79-fb678c107b39.html

Hopefully the design is flexible enough where if PWC wanted to convert it to an interchange down the road they could. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the public comment process plays out.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 18, 2022, 03:18:34 PM
Ideally, VA-234 would be a freeway from I-66 all the way to Lake Jackson Drive and be getting the same gradual light removal approach that VA-28, VA-7 and now maybe soon even US-50 (in Loudoun) will get. From there to I-95, while improvements could be made I don't think interchanges are nearly as feasible.

https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2022/07/cash-infusion-moves-loudoun-co-closer-to-removing-stop-lights-on-us-50/

I think they can squeeze in interchanges where the road travels alongside the PW Forest Park, but overall, it just feels a bit off making urban-style interchanges on a more rural road.

Quote from: Jmiles32 on September 08, 2022, 12:26:13 PM
https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/bowtie-intersection-planned-for-busy-manassas-corridor/article_6e69d486-2db5-11ed-bf79-fb678c107b39.html

Hopefully the design is flexible enough where if PWC wanted to convert it to an interchange down the road they could. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the public comment process plays out.

Is it efficient to build a fix that can be upgraded to an interchange though? Or should they hold out until such is in motion?

Jmiles32

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on September 09, 2022, 01:40:40 AM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 18, 2022, 03:18:34 PM

I think they can squeeze in interchanges where the road travels alongside the PW Forest Park, but overall, it just feels a bit off making urban-style interchanges on a more rural road.

Is it efficient to build a fix that can be upgraded to an interchange though? Or should they hold out until such is in motion?

I would have held out until there was enough funding to build an interchange. Yes it would've taken much longer but as Loudoun has shown with VA-28 and VA-7 (it appears US-15 and US-50 are next), patience and probably better strategies to obtain funding, pays off.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Jmiles32 on September 09, 2022, 04:30:51 PM
I would have held out until there was enough funding to build an interchange. Yes it would've taken much longer but as Loudoun has shown with VA-28 and VA-7 (it appears US-15 and US-50 are next), patience and probably better strategies to obtain funding, pays off.

Good point. I do wonder how US 15 is supposed to become a freeway; it sounds like even more of a challenge than any part of 50 from Fairfax to Aldie.

Jmiles32

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on September 09, 2022, 05:58:47 PM

Good point. I do wonder how US 15 is supposed to become a freeway; it sounds like even more of a challenge than any part of 50 from Fairfax to Aldie.

Just the Leesburg Bypass part. While US-15 north of Leesburg will be widened to four lanes, it will not be turned into a freeway.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Jmiles32 on September 09, 2022, 08:49:25 PM
Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on September 09, 2022, 05:58:47 PM

Just the Leesburg Bypass part. While US-15 north of Leesburg will be widened to four lanes, it will not be turned into a freeway.

Now that makes sense, but 15 being dualized out there is going to really change the landscape. It might still be useful considering all the traffic crossing the Potomac, though.

Roadsguy

The right-of-way does seem to be the right shape for a parclo, with both loops to the south. Plus, the bend in Clover Hill Road seems to be to allow the bridge over the Parkway to be built more easily.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Joseph R P

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 10, 2022, 09:41:52 AM

The right-of-way does seem to be the right shape for a parclo, with both loops to the south. Plus, the bend in Clover Hill Road seems to be to allow the bridge over the Parkway to be built more easily.

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. I also thought that a SPUI could be squeezed in instead if that new warehouse isn't too close.

Instead of building an expensive intersection here they should just go ahead with an interchange at Clover Hill, same with the University Boulevard intersection, as well as move ahead with the proposed Sudley Manor SPUI/Wellington overpass. The 234-signed section of Prince William Parkway is not fit be a 4-lane stop-and-go expressway, considering it handles both the traffic coming from both PWP/294 and Dumfries Road/234, a lot of which is trucks.

Joseph R P

Jmiles32

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/updated-pw-digital-gateway-meeting-stretches-into-wednesday-morning/article_ed14f8f0-5a57-11ed-bd9d-f743c1753eea.html
https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/1626992/Item_3-A.pdf
(^Page 55 goes into potential infrastructure improvements)

Big changes are coming ahead for Prince William County as the controversial Digital Gateway rezoning, which would result in massive data centers being built along Pageland Lane (27.6 million square feet of data centers on 2,139 acres), was approved this morning by the PWC Board of Supervisors. As a result, Pageland Lane will be widened to four lanes in the near future along with other improvements like perhaps a direct connection from Pageland Lane to the I-66/VA-234 interchange. While I personally was not in favor of the digital gateway, now that it has been approved, I do think that there is now a legitimate opportunity for a new four-lane connection to Loudoun. However, instead of the previous "bi-county parkway" route that would encompass all of Pageland Lane and then go up Saunders lane (which would likely take many homes) connecting to Loudoun's Northstar Blvd, I think that instead, a better route would be to have an upgraded Pageland Lane veer northeast near Thornton Drive, cross VA-234 near Aldie Road, cross the Bull Run, and then tie into an upgraded Gum Spring Road in Loudoun by the quarry. Not only would this routing better connect to Dulles Airport (like the Bi-County Parkway was originally intended) and Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road (thanks to the new Arcola Blvd), but I also suspect that Loudoun would have no problem widening Gum Spring Road south of where the current four-lane section ends. Just my two cents. If Prince Wiliam County is going to do this, might as well do it right.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.