Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

VA 9xxxx routes explained

<< < (4/5) > >>

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 25, 2022, 10:17:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: dvferyance on June 25, 2022, 10:04:04 PM ---I never understood why every road in Virgina has to get a number. They even number short dead end residential streets. Even though they have names. Why not just go by their names?

--- End quote ---

Because that would be a living nightmare with the massive state-maintained secondary route system Virginia has.

--- End quote ---

The routes have to be cataloged somehow. That's easier done with numbers than names. Even in Kentucky, where we definitely have county- and city-maintained roads and streets, there are internal numbering systems. It's rare that the counties post the route numbers, but they're there.

dvferyance:

--- Quote from: dvferyance on June 25, 2022, 10:04:04 PM ---I never understood why every road in Virgina has to get a number. They even number short dead end residential streets. Even though they have names. Why not just go by their names?

--- End quote ---

Because that would be a living nightmare with the massive state-maintained secondary route system Virginia has.

--- End quote ---
Does anyone ever refer to those roads by their number? I would think not they would say the live on whatever the street name they are on and not Hwy 1535 or something like that.

plain:

--- Quote from: dvferyance on June 27, 2022, 07:06:22 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Does anyone ever refer to those roads by their number? I would think not they would say the live on whatever the street name they are on and not Hwy 1535 or something like that.

--- End quote ---

The last time I was there, many people in western Hanover County were still calling the roads by the numbers, even the secondary routes (600 and above). They didn't say "Route" or anything in front of it, literally just the number: 33, 54, 271, 610, 623, 657, etc. The exception to this was US 1, which was referred to as "Numba One".

I think it's just common in many rural areas because back in the day the roads in many places didn't have names at all.

VTGoose:

--- Quote from: dvferyance on June 27, 2022, 07:06:22 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

If anyone does use a number they have probably been around a while. Just about every street and road, even out in rural areas, has a name due to improvements in the 911 system. Newer (younger) residents may be aware of some numbers but typically refer to a road by name.

hbelkins:
It's been my observation that some of the counties signpost roads with names; others do not. Going strictly from memory, even some of the primary state and US routes have names, and the names on the local signs don't always match up with what the state posts on signs (Orby Cantrell, George C. Peery, etc.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version