Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

<< < (378/379) > >>

AlexandriaVA:
Always thought that was an odd exception to the HOT corridor. I also doubt that the "HOV-3 only" rule was ever enforced.

My unsubstantiated guess is that it was a bureaucratic vestige of the fact that the ramp was built with federal funds, relating to the opening of the Mark Center, and that perhaps the funding came with strings attached (specifically, HOV-3 only). The ramp was built before 395 was converted to HOT.

froggie:
IIRC, it was a requirement of the Transportation Management Plan for Mark Center.  Not sure what's changed to where this is now going to be allowed.

AlexandriaVA:
On second thought, an even better possibility relates to the fact that Alexandria was very concerned about the traffic impact of the opening of the Mark Center on local streets in the West End (e.g. Seminary, Beauregard, etc). Many jobs were moved from the Pentagon, which has the slug and transit commute options, to the massive building at Seminary and 395.

The retention of the HOV-3 only rule, even after the corridor was converted to HOT, may have been in order to discourage single-car commuting to the Mark Center.

AlexandriaVA:

--- Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2022, 03:28:14 PM ---IIRC, it was a requirement of the Transportation Management Plan for Mark Center.  Not sure what's changed to where this is now going to be allowed.

--- End quote ---

Funny that you posted it right as I made my follow up comment.

I don't think the Mark Center traffic ever materialized in a way that they envisioned it. And that was pre-COVID. Nowadays, who knows. I know that Mark Center was supposed to take on most of the WHS jobs, many of which I think are inherently telework-enabled.

74/171FAN:
So probably the oddest thing about the new set-up on I-95 SB at the Rappahannock River was that it was actually viable for me to take I-95 SB from Fredericksburg to Richmond tonight.  One year ago I would have headed straight to the US 301/VA 2 corridor without much of a debate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version