News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 04, 2014, 10:21:31 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on December 04, 2014, 10:16:42 AM
Thanks for that link. The video was a bit too boring for my tastes, but the lanes themselves look great.

Also, is it standard to use those boom (I think those are what those gates are called) gates at the entry ways to the lanes? HOT lanes are a rather foreign concept to me, being from New Jersey and all.

It's standard on that road because the lanes are reversible, not because they're HOV or HO/T. Notice, BTW, that both shoulders are delineated with white lines (no yellow). That's because either lane can be to the driver's left or the driver's right depending on which way they're operating.

It's a little more complicated than this, but essentially, during the morning they run towards DC, then around lunchtime they close them for awhile before reopening them with them running away from DC. Repeat late at night. The weekend schedule is different.

For obvious reasons, though, it wouldn't do to have northbound traffic entering the lanes when they're operating southbound. If you had two vehicles going 75 mph approaching head-on, they'd be closing on each other at an effective 150 mph. Hence why they have the gates in place. When they're reversing the direction, let's say at midday, VDOT requires that all the northbound gates be closed before the southbound gates are opened. They literally have a guy in a truck drive the lanes starting at the southern end. I don't know if he actually does something to close the gates, but he is required to confirm that each set of gates has closed. (Mike has pointed out that logic would suggest they could open southbound access points as the truck goes by—that is, the truck driver drives the lanes, confirms the northbound gates are closed and that no traffic remains on the lanes, so he opens the southbound gates as he reaches them. I don't know why they don't do it that way, but I assume it's absolute paranoia about the possibility of head-on wrecks.)

I would hope they are automated...and the ones where the automation is broken are the only ones the driver needs to manually close.

I guess they would also need to verify any broken down vehicles are removed from the shoulder, in case someone decides to come back, get the car started, then starts heading in the wrong direction.

1995hoo

Yeah, I agree with you on assuming they should be automated, such that the guy is simply verifying that they closed, but I don't know. mtantillo might.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 04, 2014, 10:21:31 AM
I don't know if he actually does something to close the gates, but he is required to confirm that each set of gates has closed. (Mike has pointed out that logic would suggest they could open southbound access points as the truck goes by–that is, the truck driver drives the lanes, confirms the northbound gates are closed and that no traffic remains on the lanes, so he opens the southbound gates as he reaches them. I don't know why they don't do it that way, but I assume it's absolute paranoia about the possibility of head-on wrecks.)

Some years ago, I know the gates were closed and opened from a control center in Arlington County, but I believe all of that has now moved to VDOT's (relatively) new facility in Fairfax County. 

Not sure if Transurban or VDOT will be responsible for opening and closing the gates once the change to HOV/Toll lane operation happens.

Crossing my fingers as I say this, but I have not heard of even one head-on wreck happening on the reversible lanes of I-95/I-395 in the many years they have been in operation.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mtantillo

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 04, 2014, 02:12:37 PM
Yeah, I agree with you on assuming they should be automated, such that the guy is simply verifying that they closed, but I don't know. mtantillo might.

They are automated.

andrewkbrown

I've always wondered how fast the gates go down. Any warning the gates are about to go down? I assume they go down one by one, since I believe there's about a half-dozen gates tapered in length at the entrances to direct a vehicle left to right away from the closed lanes and back to the main lanes.

Anyone know if cars have crashed through a few of the gates as they closed upon them?
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

mtantillo

The changable message signs either list a traffic restriction (OPEN TO ALL, HOV-3+ ONLY, etc.) when the lanes are open. They will then change to "GATES CLOSING, MERGE RIGHT", "GATES CLOSING, DO NOT ENTER", etc. then after a couple of minutes the gates will close and the signs will change to say "GATES CLOSED DO NOT ENTER" (usually just replacing the word closing with closed).

1995hoo

I've floored it through there near the Pentagon when the sign said "GATES CLOSING, MERGE RIGHT." The gates were open far enough that I could easily make it through when I downshifted and stomped on the accelerator.

All the gates swing closed in unison near the Pentagon. I can't say I've ever really noticed or paid attention elsewhere.

1995hoo

Finally found some info on tolling segments. WTOP has an online FAQ (link below) that includes the following. This may or may not be accurate, of course, but it's the first statement I've found anywhere saying where the segments will break. It only refers to northbound, though.

"I'm going to drive the entire 29 miles from Stafford to Alexandria. Can I lock in one toll at Garrisonville Road?

"No; you will have to pay two tolls. Transurban will charge one toll from Garrisonville Road to the Fairfax County Parkway, then another to Edsall Road.

"Transurban expects most of the traffic on I-95 to be between the Fairfax County Parkway and Edsall Road, and says traffic conditions could change in Fairfax County while a driver travels between Stafford and Prince William County.

"Therefore, a commuter can only lock in a rate until Fairfax County Parkway, then must decide whether to pay a second toll to Edsall Road, or avoid the toll and exit into the main lanes."

http://wtop.com/654/3751471/Express-Lanes-QA

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 05, 2014, 09:19:46 AM
"Therefore, a commuter can only lock in a rate until Fairfax County Parkway, then must decide whether to pay a second toll to Edsall Road, or avoid the toll and exit into the main lanes."

I really dislike this. 

Not because I have any problem with varied tolls (higher during peak demand times), but because there is (IMO) no justification for such an approach (and customers like to know what the full cost will be for a trip as they enter), and it will give such projects a very bad name around  Virginia, the Washington area and the rest of the country.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

This new map on the Express Lanes site appears to show where the segments will be. The yellow "Decision Point" banner shows where segments end because at those points, you must decide whether to pay the toll for the next segment or exit back to the local lanes.

Link to map: http://www.95expresslanes.com/pdfs/95_Express_Lanes_Access_Map.pdf

Northbound, two segments:

(1) All access points south of Newington up to the existing flyover back to the local lanes located just north of the mainline's Exit 166 (the Fairfax County Parkway at Newington); there is one new slip ramp back to the local lanes in this segment, but it won't be used as a dividing point between segments

(2) From said flyover north to Turkeycock (includes four access points into the lanes, three from other roads and one slip ramp from the mainline)

Southbound, three segments:
(1) Turkeycock to the existing flyover immediately to the south of the Route 644 interchange (the flyover is shown in the wrong place on the linked map; this segment has two access points into the lanes, at Turkeycock and the ramps from the Beltway)

(2) From said flyover south to the existing flyover to the mainline located alongside Potomac Mills Mall (the yellow "Decision Point" note is in the wrong place on the map; this segment has four access points into the lanes–a slip ramp from the mainline roughly next to the Backlick Road exit, a new entrance still under construction from Heller Road at the Fort Belvoir Proving Grounds, a new entrance from Alban Road/Boudinot Drive in Newington, and a new slip ramp in the US-1 Exit 161 complex at the southern end of Shirley Highway)

(3) From Potomac Mills flyover south to the lanes' end near Aquia (only one access point into the lanes, a new slip ramp in the Dale Boulevard/Opitz Boulevard area)

mtantillo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 05, 2014, 11:51:29 AM

I really dislike this. 

Not because I have any problem with varied tolls (higher during peak demand times), but because there is (IMO) no justification for such an approach (and customers like to know what the full cost will be for a trip as they enter), and it will give such projects a very bad name around  Virginia, the Washington area and the rest of the country.

I predict that the impending disaster coming with the opening of these lanes could very well spend the end of HOT lanes and privately funded PPTA projects in Virginia in the future.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtantillo on December 05, 2014, 03:54:23 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 05, 2014, 11:51:29 AM

I really dislike this. 

I predict that the impending disaster coming with the opening of these lanes could very well spend the end of HOT lanes and privately funded PPTA projects in Virginia in the future.

Let's just say that I share and agree with your concerns. 

Our late boss at the office, Ron Kirby, Ph.D. was a fan of pricing of scarce road capacity from decades ago, and I now think he was right (I was pretty skeptical before all-electronic toll technologies like E-ZPass were perfected - but after seeing AET (albeit not E-ZPass) work on the then-new Highway 407 in Ontario back in 1997, I was sold).

cpzilliacus

WAMU Radio: New Ride On I-95 In Northern Virginia Will Be Pricey

QuoteCommuting in the I-95 corridor in Northern Virginia is about to change, possibly for the better, but the faster ride will not be cheap unless you are in an HOV-3 carpool.

QuoteThe typical toll on the 95 Express Lanes, 30 miles of EZ Pass-only toll lanes between Garrisonville Road in Stafford County and Edsall Road in Fairfax County, is expected to cost between $6 and $8, according to the construction conglomerate hired by Virginia to pave the asphalt and erect the toll gantries, Fluor-Transurban. And that is for using only a portion of the road, as the typical trip length is expected to run about 10 miles. HOV-3 carpoolers ride free 24/7.

QuoteWhat you will pay will vary depending on where you enter and exit the Express Lanes. The southern stretch where traffic volume is lighter could cost about 20 cents per mile. The northern stretch, heading into the Springfield interchange where traffic volume is heavy on a normal workday, could run about 80 cents per mile.

1995hoo

We should learn sometime today when HO/T operations will begin on I-95. There's some sort of ceremony somewhere in Alexandria today to mark the project's completion (although the new Heller Road ramp is not yet complete) and apparently they'll announce it then.

Can't come soon enough. I was listening to WTOP while getting dressed this morning and the traffic report said the reversible carriageway was snarled in Newington because this morning's wind had knocked over a construction barrel, which broke apart into many pieces (I assume it got hit by a truck or bus) and resulted in there being plastic shards all over the highway. Ugh. Presumably the barrel was one of the ones blocking off the new third lane.

Edited to update:

The Express Lanes are to open this coming Sunday but will be free until December 29 to allow for additional testing of the tolling equipment. HOV will be in effect during the current HOV hours.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2014/12/10/95-express-lanes-to-open-temporarily-free-on-sunday/

Mapmikey

This is a poorly worded Post headline to announce this.  By suggesting drivers can try the lanes for free, it suggests that I as a non-HOV qualifier can use the lanes, whereas the explanation further down clearly says I cannot during rush hour.

Between now and Dec 29 there is no change in how the lanes operate from today, only that there will be 3 lanes north of Dale City and that they now extend to Garrisonville...

Mapmikey

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 10, 2014, 11:01:46 AM
This is a poorly worded Post headline to announce this.  By suggesting drivers can try the lanes for free, it suggests that I as a non-HOV qualifier can use the lanes, whereas the explanation further down clearly says I cannot during rush hour.

Between now and Dec 29 there is no change in how the lanes operate from today, only that there will be 3 lanes north of Dale City and that they now extend to Garrisonville...

Mapmikey

I don't like the way they keep saying "Express Lanes opening" because two of the three lanes are already "open" most of the time (main exceptions being when they're reversing the direction or when they're closed for construction) and because the existing reversible lanes have been called the "express lanes" by many people for a good 40 years now. It's not like the Beltway where they constructed four entirely new lanes that are "express" in the New York Subway sense of not giving access to every interchange. Rather, they're beginning a new system of operating the existing express facility and making a tweak to the traffic pattern by adding a third lane. It's one reason why in some of my comments here and elsewhere I've referred to when "HO/T operations begin" or to the "HO/T conversion." (I adopted froggie's preference for that slash a long time ago because I feel it emphasizes "high-occupancy OR toll" and because I prefer to say "H-O-T" as three letters to be analogous to "HOV"–you don't say it like "huv lanes.")

I was just in Arlington on business and I drove back via the I-395 HOV about half an hour ago as I type this. The overhead E-ZPass Express VMS units were switched on and were displaying alternating messages. The first sign, going up the hill past Landmark Mall, switched between "NEW TRAFFIC PATTERN DEC 14" and "TOLLING BEGINS DEC 29." The next sign, just before the Duke Street overpass, switched between "NEW TRAFFIC PATTERN DEC 14" and "EZPASS REQUIRED STARTING DEC 29." The signs out in the general-purpose lanes were operating the same as normal. I exited at the Beltway and noted the Express Lanes VMS there was not turned on. I thought they ought to have ALL of them emphasizing the date on which E-ZPass is required.

Also saw some new yellow diamond-shaped signs saying "VARIABLE SPEED ZONE AHEAD" with the purple "E-ZPass Express" sign on top. When I exited onto the Beltway there was a white rectangular sign saying "END VARIABLE SPEED ZONE."

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
(I adopted froggie's preference for that slash a long time ago because I feel it emphasizes "high-occupancy OR toll" and because I prefer to say "H-O-T" as three letters to be analogous to "HOV"–you don't say it like "huv lanes.")
Why would hov and huv sound the same? Is this one of those weird regional vowel shifts?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on December 10, 2014, 01:22:54 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
(I adopted froggie's preference for that slash a long time ago because I feel it emphasizes "high-occupancy OR toll" and because I prefer to say "H-O-T" as three letters to be analogous to "HOV"–you don't say it like "huv lanes.")
Why would hov and huv sound the same? Is this one of those weird regional vowel shifts?

My point was that you don't pronounce "HOV" as a word at all. You pronounce it as three letters, "H-O-V." I pictured that if you pronounced it as a word, it would have a short "u" sound like the letters "hov" in "hovercraft," where the "hov-" part is pronounced like "huv," not like "hove" (long "o" sound) or "hahv" ("ah" denoting a short "o" sound like in the word "froggie").

Regardless of whether the vowel is short or long or whatever, though, you say "HOV" as three letters, so by analogy I've always viewed "HO/T" or "HOT" as three letters, not as the word "hot" (although I know most people view it as a word).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on December 10, 2014, 01:33:33 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2014, 01:31:04 PM
you don't pronounce "HOV" as a word at all
I do.

If you say so. I've never heard anyone pronounce it as a word.

Mapmikey

I have heard it as a word though not in a really long time.

I want to call them HOOT lanes for High Occupancy Or Toll.  Probably not because of how much fun I'll have using them...

Mapmikey

NJRoadfan

Well at least I'll be able to "clinch" the lanes when I drive down to NC, cause its likely the last time I'll ever be on them.

froggie

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2014, 01:35:36 PM
I do.

The 64 reversible lanes in Norfolk are routinely called "the huv".  I've occasionally heard the term used for the 95/395 lanes as well, though mostly by military who are from or were stationed in California or Norfolk.

1995hoo

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 10, 2014, 03:50:40 PM
Well at least I'll be able to "clinch" the lanes when I drive down to NC, cause its likely the last time I'll ever be on them.

I'm planning to use them next Saturday morning on our Christmas trip to Florida. Getting to use them for free is a pleasant surprise. I wasn't concerned about the toll since it's minimal when viewed in terms of the entire trip, but I never object if something I expected to pay for turns out to be free.

mtantillo

Quote from: froggie on December 10, 2014, 03:58:56 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2014, 01:35:36 PM
I do.

The 64 reversible lanes in Norfolk are routinely called "the huv".  I've occasionally heard the term used for the 95/395 lanes as well, though mostly by military who are from or were stationed in California or Norfolk.

I know someone who used to call them "The Hove". She was from Florida (Fort Lauderdale).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.