News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: mtantillo on April 24, 2013, 04:12:37 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 24, 2013, 03:51:32 PM
Last night on the way downtown for the Caps game I heard on the radio that there had been a serious crash in the general-purpose lanes between Route 29 and Gallows Road that had spilled over into the right lane of the Express Lanes. Anyone know any details? In particular, I'm curious to know what, if any effect, it had on the toll rates.

Why not look up historical toll rates for the approximate time?

D'oh. Good point. Not sure why I didn't think of that.  :ded:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtantillo on April 24, 2013, 04:12:37 PM
Why not look up historical toll rates for the approximate time?

Was not aware of that capability.  Thanks for pointing it out!

495 Express Lanes southbound entering south of Va. 193 yesterday at 1800 showed $0.45 to Jones Branch; $2.70 to I-66; and $7.40 to I-395/I-95.

At 1900, the tolls were $0.35 to Jones Branch; $1.20 to I-66; and $3.95 to I-395/I-95.

However, the user interface is pretty clunky.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Alexandria group wants I-95 ramp delayed

QuoteALEXANDRIA, Va. - Virginia Transportation Secretary Sean Connaughton met with a group calling for a delay to a ramp that will end the Interstate 95 HOT Lanes in Alexandria.

QuoteThe Concerned Residents of Landmark met with Connaughton, Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille and Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chair Sharon Bulova on Friday about the terminus ramp, which will be located just north of Edsall Road at Turkeycock Run.

QuoteThe ramp will end the HOT Lanes, meaning any vehicles with less than three passengers would have to exit during rush hours.

Quote"VDOT did what they are supposed to do and they ran the project by the Federal Highway Administration," says Connaughton. "The issue really is how to balance out the traffic, if there's a way to do it."

QuoteThe group hired Maureen Barrett, an environmental engineer, to study the toxin levels that the ramp would produce. She found that nitrogen dioxide and PM2.5, or fine particulate matter, would be above acceptable levels on the ramp, partially due to the expected traffic. Those toxins could result in respiratory issues and increased hospitalization.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

It's a bit late to be objecting to it when construction is as far along as it is. I understand their displeasure, but the fight should have occurred a lot sooner if they were serious. The City comes across as a bunch of BANANAs (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody).

mtantillo

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 27, 2013, 06:48:00 PM
It's a bit late to be objecting to it when construction is as far along as it is. I understand their displeasure, but the fight should have occurred a lot sooner if they were serious. The City comes across as a bunch of BANANAs (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody).

Well, I can sort of see their point.  When they did the original studies, that ramp was not an endpoint ramp, now it is. 

But if FHWA approved....

oscar

Concerned Residents of Landmark really should be complaining to Arlington County, whose lawsuit led to the HOT lanes ending in Alexandria.  Or better still, they should have spoken up during the County's lawsuit, to try to head off the problem they are now complaining about. 

Inconveniently, though, IIRC at least one of CRL's lawyers also represented Arlington County in its lawsuit against VDOT, so we should not expect any CRL lawsuit to target Arlington County.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: oscar on April 27, 2013, 08:31:36 PM
Concerned Residents of Landmark really should be complaining to Arlington County, whose lawsuit led to the HOT lanes ending in Alexandria.  Or better still, they should have spoken up during the County's lawsuit, to try to head off the problem they are now complaining about.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes

Quote from: oscar on April 27, 2013, 08:31:36 PM
Inconveniently, though, IIRC at least one of CRL's lawyers also represented Arlington County in its lawsuit against VDOT, so we should not expect any CRL lawsuit to target Arlington County.

That is correct.  Though (IMO) I never thought that Arlington County's arguments would have had much merit in a trial before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (anti-highway lawsuits in federal courts in the 4th Circuit states in recent years have not usually had much success).  The only one that met with any sympathy (that I am aware of) was against the Monroeville (N.C.) Bypass, where a 4th Circuit panel ordered a remand for reasons related to air quality.

The people opposed to this project are attempting to raise PM 2.5 as an issue, though I don't see that working, since I-395 is not a favored "through" route for trucking.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 27, 2013, 06:48:00 PM

Agreed. Though Alexandria did finally drop its lawsuit against the reconstructed Wilson Bridge (leaving the Sierra Club to go it alone - their victory in the U.S. District Court (in D.C.) was reversed by the Circuit Court in December 1999, which allowed construction to get started after about 10 years of planning).

And the reconstruction of U.S. 1 to straighten it out at Monroe Avenue where it crosses the former RF&P Railroad tracks has turned out to be a major improvement.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: How Fluor-Lane widened the 495 Capital Beltway from 8 to 12 lanes INTERVIEW

QuoteMaryland officials said recently that any improvements to the Capital Beltway would be nearly impossible given the traffic volumes (over 220,000 vehicles/day) and the need to maintain traffic through the works.  Well how did Virginia do it? They've just rebuilt ten interchanges, repaved, and widened from 8 to 12 lanes on 14 miles of the busiest portion of the Beltway between the I-95 Springfield Interchange and through Tysons Corner and the Dulles Toll Road.

QuoteThe work was done by a Fluor-Lane joint venture under a $1.93b design-build contract with Capital Beltway Express LLC, the Transurban-led concessionaire that put up $1.52b. VDOT put up $0.41b. Fluor has a 10% stake in the express toll lanes concession.

QuoteWe recently talked to Bob Portley, the Fluor-Lane joint venture's deputy project director for field operations in charge of the nearly five years of Beltway work.  (With completion of the Beltway work he has returned to Lane Construction where he is District Manager working out of Chantilly Virginia.)

1995hoo

I won't include a link to this first item because of reports of malware issues affecting Internet Explorer users who visit their website: WTOP reports Transurban requested that VDOT raise the speed limit in the 495 Express Lanes to 65 mph and VDOT is considering the request. Sounds like a good move to me, although I'd prefer 70 mph (which state law allows). No word on when they might decide. I can't really blame them for starting with a lower limit and then considering an increase instead of starting with a higher one and then lowering it, especially when the barrier on the right side of the lanes (plastic bollards) is quite different (and potentially more distracting at night due to the reflective tape on the bollards) than others we've seen in the DC area over the years.

This second item was quite a surprise to me: A bill was introduced this year to allow an 80-mph speed limit on toll roads in Virginia, including HO/T lanes, and the bill would also have eliminated the "or in excess of 80 mph" part of the reckless driving law. Not surprisingly, it was left in committee. I don't see Virginia allowing any 80-mph speed limits any time soon, but I think the "or in excess of 80 mph" provision ought to be scrapped because I think it's asinine to prosecute someone going 81 mph in a 70-mph zone for reckless driving based solely on speed.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 08, 2013, 03:51:32 PM
I won't include a link to this first item because of reports of malware issues affecting Internet Explorer users who visit their website: WTOP reports Transurban requested that VDOT raise the speed limit in the 495 Express Lanes to 65 mph and VDOT is considering the request. Sounds like a good move to me, although I'd prefer 70 mph (which state law allows). No word on when they might decide. I can't really blame them for starting with a lower limit and then considering an increase instead of starting with a higher one and then lowering it, especially when the barrier on the right side of the lanes (plastic bollards) is quite different (and potentially more distracting at night due to the reflective tape on the bollards) than others we've seen in the DC area over the years.

65 or 70 would be fine in those lanes.

Though I could see some of the usual-suspect groups raising objections (probably related to air quality).

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 08, 2013, 03:51:32 PM
This second item was quite a surprise to me: A bill was introduced this year to allow an 80-mph speed limit on toll roads in Virginia, including HO/T lanes, and the bill would also have eliminated the "or in excess of 80 mph" part of the reckless driving law. Not surprisingly, it was left in committee. I don't see Virginia allowing any 80-mph speed limits any time soon, but I think the "or in excess of 80 mph" provision ought to be scrapped because I think it's asinine to prosecute someone going 81 mph in a 70-mph zone for reckless driving based solely on speed.

I believe I have driven all toll roads and toll crossings in the Commonwealth, except the Gilmerton  Bridge, which is not a freeway-class road anyway.

Not sure that any of them ought to have a posted speed limit that high.  Especially not the Dulles Greenway, which has curves that are too sharp for most people to handle safely on a consistent bases when going that fast.

The road that could be posted with a limit that high is I-295, especially between I-64 (on the east side of Richmond, near Sandston) and I-95 just south of Petersburg in Prince George County.  Added bonus - an 80 MPH posted limit  might put an end to the Hopewell speed trap operation.

EDIT:  Made references to the I-64 and I-95 interchanges with  I-295 specific.

mtantillo

Quote from: cpzilliacus
The road that could be posted with a limit that high is I-295, especially between I-64 and I-95.  Added bonus - an 80 MPH posted limit  might put an end to the Hopewell speed trap operation.

Isn't all of I-295 between I-64 and I-95? ;-)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtantillo on May 11, 2013, 12:22:27 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus
The road that could be posted with a limit that high is I-295, especially between I-64 and I-95.  Added bonus - an 80 MPH posted limit  might put an end to the Hopewell speed trap operation.

Isn't all of I-295 between I-64 and I-95? ;-)

Yes, of course it is. I should have been more specific. 

And I will be in just a moment thanks to the "modify" feature.

maplestar

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 08, 2013, 06:32:06 PM
I believe I have driven all toll roads and toll crossings in the Commonwealth, except the Gilmerton  Bridge, which is not a freeway-class road anyway.

Not sure that any of them ought to have a posted speed limit that high.  Especially not the Dulles Greenway, which has curves that are too sharp for most people to handle safely on a consistent bases when going that fast.

Perhaps you mean the Jordan Bridge instead of the Gilmerton? The Gilmerton is a non-tolled bridge on US 13, while the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge is a toll bridge on VA 337 that crosses the Elizabeth River further north.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: maplestar on May 12, 2013, 04:01:23 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 08, 2013, 06:32:06 PM

Perhaps you mean the Jordan Bridge instead of the Gilmerton? The Gilmerton is a non-tolled bridge on US 13, while the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge is a toll bridge on VA 337 that crosses the Elizabeth River further north.

Yes, I did.  Been a lot  of years since I visited Hampton Roads.

The South Norfolk Jordan is the one I was  thinking about.

cpzilliacus

[This has specific references to the HOV/Toll lanes in Northern Virginia]

TOLLROADSnews: Toll express lanes can get investment grade ratings but it will be tough - Moody's

QuoteNegative on 495ELs

The Moody's report stresses the VA495ELs as "well below" the first year's target:

"We believe that the underperformance of the HOT lanes reflects soft economic conditions in the service area, which results in motorists being unwilling to pay a toll for time savings. The original traffic study was done before 2008, and projections may not be achievable given that they did not consider the impact of the economic recession.

1995hoo

I agree with the statement by Fluor/Transurban in that article that the "pipe" design was undesirable on the Beltway because the majority of the traffic on that side of the Beltway is not thru traffic from Springfield all the way to the Legion Bridge (or vice versa).

1995hoo

The Washington Post reports that VDOT approved the 65-mph speed limit in the Beltway Express Lanes and that signs should be changed on or about June 24.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2013/06/07/speed-limit-going-up-on-495-express-lanes/

1995hoo

WTOP reports on the speed limit increase and notes that the 85th percentile speed is 70 mph: http://wtop.com/654/3351447/Faster-ride-on-Beltway-Express-Lanes

Mapmikey

The 65 mph shields have been uncovered on the 495 Express Lanes...

Not bad for a road with no shoulders (left or right) for 95% of it and how many freeways have you seen where on ramps from both sides converge at the same spot along with a left exit ramp very nearby (SB approaching VA 7) have a speed limit of 65?

http://goo.gl/maps/YoZvJ

Mapmikey

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 24, 2013, 06:48:28 AM
The 65 mph shields have been uncovered on the 495 Express Lanes...

Not bad for a road with no shoulders (left or right) for 95% of it and how many freeways have you seen where on ramps from both sides converge at the same spot along with a left exit ramp very nearby (SB approaching VA 7) have a speed limit of 65?

http://goo.gl/maps/YoZvJ

I saw the new 65 signs as well.

Had to drive from Springfield to Va. 123 in the 8 A.M. hour today, and for the first time, I feel the I-495 HOV/Toll lanes actually looked busy!  Toll to go all the way from the southern entrance between Springfield and the north end beyond Va. 267 was $6.70 (that's the highest I have seen it so far).

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: 495 Capital beltway toll lanes see leap in traffic & $s in June quarter from weak first months

Quote2013-07-09: The high profile toll lanes project on the DC Capital Beltway saw a major leap in traffic and revenue in the June quarter according to data released to the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) by Transurban, the concessionaire. Toll revenue increased 82% on the March quarter with an increase of 38% in average weekday traffic and a 32% higher in the average toll.

QuoteRevenue in the latest quarter was running at an annual rate of $29m vs $16m in the first quarter.

QuoteWorkday traffic was running 35,000 trips per day Q1 vs 26,300 Q2. Average daily traffic (including weekends) in the June quarter was 28,900 vs 21,000 in the March quarter.

QuoteThe average toll - which is set dynamically based on density in the lanes and tolls needed to maximize revenues while providing a guaranteed minimum 45mph trip - went from $2.10 to $2.78, by our estimates.

QuoteThe release to the ASX says that the last workday of the June quarter saw record traffic - 42,998 trips and $78k revenue. That traffic number suggests continuing strong growth through the quarter, although the annualized revenue number is down slightly on the quarterly average.

Quote92% of traffic is tollpaying, Transurban says.

Dr. Gridlock of the Washington Post: More drivers use Beltway express lanes, report says

QuoteAs a long-time Beltway driver, I had a pretty good idea what lay ahead, so I chose the express lanes. But I've heard from many drivers who aren't prepared to make that choice. Those who do choose the express lanes sometimes write in to say they "guessed wrong"  because they didn't notice much traffic in the regular lanes. (It's one of those few consumer choices where you can see exactly what you would have gotten had you selected the competitor.)

QuoteOn Tuesday afternoon, the wisdom of my choice wasn't confirmed till I was in the last mile and a half of the 14-mile trip. The regular lanes in Tysons were stop-and-go. I cruised by them at 65 mph, the new speed limit for the express lanes.

QuoteThen I got to one of the other bothersome things about the express lanes: They end. North of the Dulles Toll Road, I had to merge back into the Beltway's heavily congested regular lanes.

1995hoo

I'm curious what the signage experts on this forum think about the situation shown in the video below (click to play). The question is–should the truck driver receive a ticket? A fellow who posts in Dr. Gridlock's blog at the Washington Post contends that signs restricting lane usage based on number of axles are unenforceable as a matter of law. I rather suspect his argument would get nowhere in Fairfax Circuit Court, but I'm wondering what anyone else has to say.

(I'm a novice at video editing, so apologies in advance for the slight choppiness at times. I think the software altered the fps rate from what my dashcam uses.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.