"Michigan Left" being considered in Fishers, IN

Started by rawmustard, July 21, 2010, 09:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

The town of Fishers is considering installing "Michigan Lefts" at the busy intersection of Allisonville Road and 96th Street. I found it rather interesting they were able to find someone who grew up in Holland to get his reaction.

agentsteel53

why is a Michigan Left confusing?  the article claims it is but does not substantiate it.  I find it so intuitive that I've independently invented it - that and the Michigan Straight, which implies taking a right, making a U-turn, and then taking another right at the original intersection, allowing one to cross lane upon lane of ungated traffic without having to play Frogger.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

huskeroadgeek

The concept of a "Michigan Left" makes so much sense that I'm surprised more places haven't adopted it. I studied up on it when I went to Michigan for a wedding several years ago and I realized it doesn't take very long to get used to using it, and then you don't even think there's anything unusual about it.

JREwing78

It's gradually warming up around the country. Wisconsin's a bit slow on this one; they've recently allowed U-turns on divided streets (unless otherwise signed), but are still keen on making left turns at the intersection.

tdindy88

According to the Indy Star, Fishers has approved this design, which means in about two years the Michigan Left will be applied at 96th and Allisonville. And while I don't personally have any objections to this design, don't Michigan Left's work better in boulavard type roads such as Telegraph Road in Metro Detroit or have these been applied to roads that have little median before?

rawmustard

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 02, 2010, 09:52:39 PM
According to the Indy Star, Fishers has approved this design, which means in about two years the Michigan Left will be applied at 96th and Allisonville. And while I don't personally have any objections to this design, don't Michigan Left's work better in boulavard type roads such as Telegraph Road in Metro Detroit or have these been applied to roads that have little median before?

I've seen instances where a median was put in on the approach to an intersection. For some reason, I'm thinking the Fishers intersection in question might be implemented similar to how the intersection of Kalamazoo and 44th in Kentwood is. (Although Kalamazoo Avenue has been converted to a boulevard through much of Kentwood, I believe the Michigan lefts at 44th existed for several years prior. Note that the satellite imagery may be slightly out of date.)

tchafe1978

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 21, 2010, 09:43:44 PM
It's gradually warming up around the country. Wisconsin's a bit slow on this one; they've recently allowed U-turns on divided streets (unless otherwise signed), but are still keen on making left turns at the intersection.

Wisconsin has always allowed u-turns on divided roads, with exceptions. You're confusing it with the fact that Wisconsin now allows u-turns at stoplights, when before they were illegal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.