News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-66

Started by 74/171FAN, April 05, 2009, 10:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Arlington County might let the I-66 partial widening inside the Beltway go through anyhow http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=327161&paper=60&cat=104   Thoughts???
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Yeah I knew it was auxiliary lanes from the beginning(should have stated that).  Besides either way I-66 is still going to be horrifying east of the beltway so they might as well try to improve the road; however, Arlington County probably has the biggest NIMBY shouters in the country so transit has to be considered.  :nod:  Haven't they also considered changing the HOV restrictions from time to time as well?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hellfighter

Speaking of I-66, I just got the idea that maybe that they should extend I-66 along US-50 to Annapolis.

mightyace

QuoteSpeaking of I-66, I just got the idea that maybe that they should extend I-66 along US-50 to Annapolis.

FYI:  This topic was discussed in the I-97 thread.  (for some reason)
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=675.0
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

deathtopumpkins

It was discussed there because it would replace the existing I-97 to Annapolis.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

njroadhorse

Still, it should and could be done. 
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

74/171FAN

And I thought that the current I-66 is the problem here, not that I-66 should go to Annapolis. :nod:

akotchi

That would also require significant upgrade of U.S. 50 on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

njroadhorse

Well, then how about to the end of the freeway, where 50 and 301 split?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

akotchi

How would I-66 get through D.C., without multiplexing with the Beltway -- I-95/495/66 in the southeastern quadrant?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

mtfallsmikey

A few years ago...the Washington Post Magazine had a nice article about the original interstate/outer-inner Beltway, connector road layout from the 50's....and how it would have gutted SE D.C.

leifvanderwall

Quote from: akotchi on April 09, 2009, 10:26:56 PM
How would I-66 get through D.C., without multiplexing with the Beltway -- I-95/495/66 in the southeastern quadrant?
I am all for it. I would have the rest of I-66 that goes into Washington DC a 3di and have I-66 join forces with I-495 to go to Annapolis. It's just doesn't seem right to me that I-66 is so short.

74/171FAN

Quote from: leifvanderwall on January 20, 2010, 09:49:21 AM
Quote from: akotchi on April 09, 2009, 10:26:56 PM
I am all for it. I would have the rest of I-66 that goes into Washington DC a 3di and have I-66 join forces with I-495 to go to Annapolis. It's just doesn't seem right to me that I-66 is so short.
It's actually over 4 times longer currently than I-97  :spin:

deathtopumpkins

Besides, IIRC, I-66 is planned to be extended westward, right? (long-term)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

mightyace

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 22, 2010, 08:37:23 PM
Besides, IIRC, I-66 is planned to be extended westward, right? (long-term)

Well, Kentucky wants to upgrade some of it's parkway mileage to interstate standards and build some new road to hit the Mississippi River and the West Virginia border and call the mess I-66.

IIRC West Virginia and Virginia do *NOT* seem to care about this plan.

-- Edit added missing NOT!

froggie

I'm guessing you meant they do *NOT* seem to care about the plan, in which case you'd be correct about Virginia, who isn't even interested in 4-laning VA 55, let alone running another Interstate into WV here.

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on January 22, 2010, 09:44:38 PM
I'm guessing you meant they do *NOT* seem to care about the plan, in which case you'd be correct

Yes, thanks for noticing my error.  I have corrected the original post.

I'm sure hbelkins can appraise us of the current state of KY's I-66.

hbelkins

Quote from: mightyace on January 22, 2010, 10:16:40 PM

I'm sure hbelkins can appraise us of the current state of KY's I-66.

There were some stories in the Louisville Courier-Journal a couple of months ago about the status of I-66. Kentucky remains committed, but it probably won't happen. Personally, I think we do need a direct connection to Missouri crossing the Mississippi River, but the remaining network of existing highways, IMO, is sufficient.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

shoptb1

Quote from: hbelkins on January 24, 2010, 02:45:56 PM
There were some stories in the Louisville Courier-Journal a couple of months ago about the status of I-66. Kentucky remains committed, but it probably won't happen. Personally, I think we do need a direct connection to Missouri crossing the Mississippi River, but the remaining network of existing highways, IMO, is sufficient.

It would also be nice if this would connect in with US-60 in Missouri from Sikeston to Springfield.  Oh well, probably not any time soon.

xonhulu

Quote from: hbelkins on January 24, 2010, 02:45:56 PM

I'm still not sure why I-66 was picked for the freeway, as there's little chance of connecting it to existing I-66.  I-46 would've been a better number.  But if existing highways can handle the traffic needs, then no great loss.  However, wasn't a large part of proposing it to stimulate the economy of southern KY and southern KS?

74/171FAN

One of the I-66 WB spot improvements is under construcction as of this week.

From VDOT's website: http://virginiadot.org/newsroom/northern_virginia/2010/westbound_i-66_spot_improvement47011.asp

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.