News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

QuoteJust got a confirmation from MDOT that I-22 will end at I-269.

Could you post the E-mail here?

TrevorB

It's a FB message, but not that it makes a difference:

msunat97

Any new updates on the I-22 construction around Jasper or at Coalburg Road?

codyg1985

The construction around Jasper is complete now. Coalburg Road is back open now, but the project to widen the road is not finished.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

barcncpt44

Well, Archer Western, the contractor for the Interstate 22 interchange project is being assessed a $2,000 daily penalty until the project's completion.  It was supposed to be completed in October, and now won't be completed until August 2015.  Here is the article from al.com  http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/11/interstate_22_deal_reached_wit.html#incart_river

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

cjk374

Quote from: barcncpt44 on November 07, 2014, 04:49:22 PM
Well, Archer Western, the contractor for the Interstate 22 interchange project is being assessed a $2,000 daily penalty until the project's completion.  It was supposed to be completed in October, and now won't be completed until August 2015.  Here is the article from al.com  http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/11/interstate_22_deal_reached_wit.html#incart_river

Sounds like they will have almost built that for Alabama for free.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

DeaconG

Quote from: barcncpt44 on November 07, 2014, 04:49:22 PM

Well, how else can you get their attention unless you hit them in the pocketbook? Time to get off the dime, fellas!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

codyg1985

Even with that penalty if it is done in August 2015 it will only amount to $608,000, which is about 3.6% of the contract value. With the claims that Archer Western has filed, if they succeed they may still break even, at least.
Cody Goodman

SSF

the thought that Archer Western doesn't have good counsel that will get the liquidated damages down to zero is laughable.

Henry

Quote from: TrevorB on November 05, 2014, 10:07:07 PM
It's a FB message, but not that it makes a difference:

Well, at least we got our answer. I would've ended it concurrent with I-269 where it meets I-55 and I-269, but this message means that I-22 will share something in common with I-49 in Kansas City and I-70 in Baltimore: a crazy ending at a 3di. And it also means that TN just missed out on getting I-22, but there's always hope for that much dreamed-about Memphis-Atlanta Interstate that's at least a few decades into the future.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MikeTheActuary

I'm disappointed they aren't taking I-22 all the way to the state line, at least, similar to the north...er, west end of I-26

NE2

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 10, 2014, 03:23:56 PM
I'm disappointed they aren't taking I-22 all the way to the state line, at least, similar to the north...er, west end of I-26
Check again. I-26 ends at US 11W. And FHWA made them start exit numbering there.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

adventurernumber1

Quote from: NE2 on November 10, 2014, 03:55:26 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 10, 2014, 03:23:56 PM
Check again. I-26 ends at US 11W. And FHWA made them start exit numbering there.

NE2 is right, from what I've seen on Google Maps. But U.S. 23 continues north as a limited-access road briefly, and literally right at the Virginia line becomes nonlimited-access. But to save the thread from going off-topic, I personally have always thought I-22 would continue on US 78 into TN towards I-240. This is a bit of a surprise to me.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

codyg1985

So I guess the Future I-22 Corridor sign just south of the TN/MS State Line will go away?  :spin:
Cody Goodman

froggie

QuoteBut to save the thread from going off-topic, I personally have always thought I-22 would continue on US 78 into TN towards I-240. This is a bit of a surprise to me.

I'm not surprised.  Except for a little bit near the Raines Rd interchange 78/Lamar Ave has zero access control from Holmes Rd (barely 1/2 mile from the MS line) to I-240.  That's 6.5 miles of what is basically an arterial and not an expressway (let alone freeway).  It would be a massive and expensive undertaking.

Regarding the terminus, MDOT didn't have to request termination at I-269...as others have noted, it could have followed I-269 to end at I-55, or go the other direction on 269 up to I-40.  Given precedent and FHWA policy, they also could have extended it inside I-269 up to MS 302.  But the only way it could continue on US 78 into Tennessee is if Tennessee rebuilt 78 all the way to 240 as a freeway.  For reasons cited earlier in the thread, that's looking highly unlikely.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: TrevorB on November 05, 2014, 04:25:19 PM
Just got a confirmation from MDOT that I-22 will end at I-269.

Interesting. I guess the plans of an I-22/I-269 multiplex to Hernando got changed - The original plan in order to connect 22 directly to 55 and 69 ..... Guess it is not really needed though as long as there are 'to I-22' signs at the junction of I-55/69/269 ..... Got to keep all of the 'tourons' from getting lost!
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

lordsutch

Honestly it's probably the best solution, since continuing the I-22 designation to the state line would probably attract some incremental long-distance traffic to the Lamar corridor that would be better served following I-55 or TN 385 into Memphis proper. There's no reason to schlep up Lamar unless you're going somewhere near it (and most out-of-towners aren't, unless they're going to the airport; even the airport terminal isn't that convenient from Lamar).

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 10, 2014, 09:15:00 PM
So I guess the Future I-22 Corridor sign just south of the TN/MS State Line will go away?  :spin:
Quote from: lordsutch on November 11, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
Honestly it's probably the best solution, since continuing the I-22 designation to the state line would probably attract some incremental long-distance traffic to the Lamar corridor that would be better served following I-55 or TN 385 into Memphis proper. There's no reason to schlep up Lamar unless you're going somewhere near it (and most out-of-towners aren't, unless they're going to the airport; even the airport terminal isn't that convenient from Lamar).

Having a terminus at I-269 is a common sense solution. With this in mind, I wonder if MDOT would borrow a page from TxDOT's I-369 and I-69W deviations from federal statutory language and seek an I-x22 "spur" designation along US 78 from I-269 to the state line.  In theory, this would minimize the incremental long-distance traffic to the Lamar corridor and provide businesses along that section of US 78 with an interstate shield that would essentially comply with the statutory language.

codyg1985

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on November 10, 2014, 11:32:15 PM
Quote from: TrevorB on November 05, 2014, 04:25:19 PM
Just got a confirmation from MDOT that I-22 will end at I-269.

Interesting. I guess the plans of an I-22/I-269 multiplex to Hernando got changed - The original plan in order to connect 22 directly to 55 and 69 ..... Guess it is not really needed though as long as there are 'to I-22' signs at the junction of I-55/69/269 ..... Got to keep all of the 'tourons' from getting lost!

I would think that TDOT may post TO I-22 shields at the I-55/I-240 interchange as well, similar to what they do with I-59 in Chattanooga at the I-24/75 interchange.
Cody Goodman

I94RoadRunner

Chris Kalina

froggie

QuoteI guess the plans of an I-22/I-269 multiplex to Hernando got changed - The original plan in order to connect 22 directly to 55 and 69

I don't think this was ever conclusively determined.  Was more a "running theory" than anything else.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: froggie on November 12, 2014, 07:40:00 AM
QuoteI guess the plans of an I-22/I-269 multiplex to Hernando got changed - The original plan in order to connect 22 directly to 55 and 69

I don't think this was ever conclusively determined.  Was more a "running theory" than anything else.
It really only makes sense to end I-22 at I-55/69 in Hernando if you think about it .....
Chris Kalina

NE2

I thought about it and it makes sense to end it at I-269.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

QuoteIt really only makes sense to end I-22 at I-55/69 in Hernando if you think about it

Not necessarily.  An argument could also be made for shifting it north into Tennessee to either I-240 (via TN 385) or I-40.  There's also precedent elsewhere for 2-digit routes ending at a 3-digit route, such as I-4 at I-275, I-69 (for now) at I-465, and I-70 at I-695 for examples.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on November 12, 2014, 04:25:11 PM
There's also precedent elsewhere for 2-digit routes ending at a 3-digit route, such as I-4 at I-275, I-69 (for now) at I-465, and I-70 at I-695 for examples.
Since all of those came about long after the original system was laid out, I-76 at I-295 may be a better example of how the Interstate system has always had 2DIs ending at 3DIs (once the 3DI numbering was finalized - initially Philly-295 would have been a 3DI). On the other hand, some choices were made to deliberately end 2DIs at other 2DIs, such as I-179 north of I-90.

There was also 93 at 695, but the latter was never completed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.