News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 25, 2015, 04:05:43 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on June 25, 2015, 01:53:50 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 25, 2015, 12:34:34 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on June 25, 2015, 11:35:59 AM
Quote from: aboges26 on June 16, 2015, 02:06:02 AM
Quote from: Molandfreak on May 27, 2015, 02:01:49 AM
I-22 should replace I-555 if/when I-30/57 is extended. No reason to end it at a beltway south of somewhere when there's another freeway in it's trajectory.

Why not extend I-22 further still to Kansas City, maybe even Lincoln, Nebraska!

I would not do that. Instead, I would route a further westward 1-22 to Northwest Arkansas and then to Tulsa via US 63 and then US412. KC would be easily connected via travel on interstate quality US 65 through Springfield Mo, I-44 to Joplin where it would met I-49 or via I-49 in Northwest Arkansas. It is distinctly more east/west that way. This help promote a new Mississippi Bridge crossing that would connect terminus of I 269/I 69 in Millington TN and the I-555  and I-55 intersection at Turrell AR.

If you did that you could use I-555 and the US 412 freeway/Cherokee turnpike. And actually you could further extend it to I-35 via the Sand Springs expressway/Cimarron turnpike.

Yep, all the way to I-35.

That could make for a very worthwhile long-distance route serving Tusla.
Not only that, it would give NWA(a region projected to hit 800,000 to 1 million in the next 15 years) an east/west and north/south interstate. The thing about this extension of I-22 is that a lot of it is going to get done regardless over the years and there big portions of it in place or 4 lane divided that can be upgraded.  US 412 limited access bypass of Springdale AR is starting now. If It was designated as a future interstate route the proper easements would be put into focus for upgrading bypasses around cities like Harrison and Siloam Springs Arkansas that will be sure to happen in any event. The major obstacles will be the Ozark Mountain sections of  US 412.

Grzrd

Quote from: rcm195 on June 23, 2015, 09:53:28 PM
Granted, it was on a Sunday the past two weekends I've been through. I just don't see much progress. Hey, I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong, and be glad to. So I'm just asking this question, does anyone think they can be completely finished by the end of August?

This June 29 TV video reports that ALDOT is saying that Interstate 22 in Alabama will not be completed until Spring 2016:

ABC 33/40 has learned the completion of Interstate 22, Corridor X is slated for the spring of 2016.
The first layer of pavement is being put down from Coalburg Road toward Interstate 65. The paving project will connect the remaining stretch of I-22 to the I-65 interchange.
Right now, work on the interchange is expected to be completed at the end of August.
However, ALDOT has told ABC 33/40, Corridor X likely won't be completed until spring of 2016.
I-22 will connect Birmingham to Memphis once complete.

It is interesting that ALDOT contends that work on the interchange itself will be completed in August 2015.  If true, why did ALDOT wait so late to begin paving the section from Coalburg Road to the I-22/ I-65 interchange? Giving the contractor a sweetheart break? :hmm:

ATLRedSoxFan

It could happen, with all the fines in place for failure to complete. I wouldn't be surprised if Archer and ALDOT work something out where the interchange is "functioning" but not "complete". It would open, but either not at 100% complete or at capacity.

Tourian

Well, without the paving, they won't have to open it, since there's nowhere to go. It is an interesting way to guarantee themselves a victory without accountability.

Tourian

OR, another possibility is that the tunnels that go to 31 won't be done until next year, but access to 22 to go to Memphis will be finished at the end of next month.

Charles2

I drove through there last week.  For the life of me I don't see how any part of the interchange could be open in August.

msunat97

How come Spring of 2016 doesn't surprise me????  They should say that we'll get done when we get done & leave it at that.

codyg1985

Quote from: msunat97 on July 06, 2015, 12:39:29 PM
How come Spring of 2016 doesn't surprise me????  They should say that we'll get done when we get done & leave it at that.

The contractor has to give schedule updates to ALDOT every so often. It may be the case to where there is a "media/upper management end date" where you give them a rosy picture and a "real end date." The real end date may keep slipping but the fantasy end date is the one that comes out of ALDOT until it is obvious they won't meet the deadline.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

Quote from: Tourian on July 03, 2015, 10:45:28 AM
OR, another possibility is that the tunnels that go to 31 won't be done until next year, but access to 22 to go to Memphis will be finished at the end of next month.

There isn't a contract in place to do the connection to US 31 yet. The current construction does the grade and drainage and bridges for it under I-65, and then it ends there.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on July 01, 2015, 10:36:49 PM
It is interesting that ALDOT contends that work on the interchange itself will be completed in August 2015.  If true, why did ALDOT wait so late to begin paving the section from Coalburg Road to the I-22/ I-65 interchange? Giving the contractor a sweetheart break? :hmm:

The paving from Coalburg Road to the I-65 interchange was let as a separate contract. It also includes signage not only from Coalburg Road to I-65, but also some signage changes from AL 5 east. I think the intent was for ALDOT to wait for the right time to let that project so that it would coincide with the completion of the I-22/65 interchange.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 01, 2015, 10:36:49 PM
This June 29 TV video reports that ALDOT is saying that Interstate 22 in Alabama will not be completed until Spring 2016 .... ALDOT contends that work on the interchange itself will be completed in August 2015.

This July 7 TV video reports that ALDOT "has given up" on August 2015 as a completion date for the interchange and that ALDOT is currently reviewing an interchange progress report from the contractor.

DeaconG

Looks like Spring 2016 after all...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Charles2

Quote from: DeaconG on July 09, 2015, 03:50:19 PM

Or when hell freezes over, whichever comes first.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Charles2 on July 09, 2015, 09:53:45 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on July 09, 2015, 03:50:19 PM

Or when hell freezes over, whichever comes first.

I vote for when hell freezes over. Or pigs fly, or when foxes speak.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

ATLRedSoxFan

Well, you can't have a functioning interchange without pavement leading to it, so that's that.

rcm195

Everyone watch going through the construction zone of 22-65 interchange. Traffic is suppose to be down to one lane through weekend due to paving on 65. If your going through, allow for extra time. And watch for troopers.😀

Charles2

Drove through the construction area yesterday.  I'm going to amend my prediction of "when hell freezes over".  My new prediction: after the Second Coming.

msunat97

Flew over the area on business last Friday heading back to Little Rock.  I didn't see the interchange, but there is obviously no work going on to pave or prep the road bed from Coalburg road to the interchange.  I'll get to see it again in a few weeks on another trip.  If I'm seated on a window, I'll take a look. 

Hell freezes over is about right for timing.

TravelingBethelite

I'm not sure if anyone has said this before, but in the 2016 RmcN atlas, all of US 78 west of Birmingham is now displayed as I-22  :colorful:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

codyg1985

Here is an al.com article that has some updated construction pictures from the I-22/65 interchange from July 24th.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

ALDOT has begun wholesale replacing US 78 shields with I-22 shields along intersecting roads in Walker County.

Cody Goodman

RoadWarrior56

The above photo of the I-22 trailblazer brings back memories of my childhood.  Back in the 60's seeing Interstate trailblazers with black and white directional signs and cardinal directions was very common, no so much today.  In this case, there was obviously a US 78 sign at this location until recently.

cjk374

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on August 17, 2015, 06:49:24 PM
The above photo of the I-22 trailblazer brings back memories of my childhood.  Back in the 60's seeing Interstate trailblazers with black and white directional signs and cardinal directions was very common, no so much today.  In this case, there was obviously a US 78 sign at this location until recently.

I remember that as well. I even remember the TO banner being almost as long as the JCT banner.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

golden eagle

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 03, 2015, 07:21:11 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has said this before, but in the 2016 RmcN atlas, all of US 78 west of Birmingham is now displayed as I-22  :colorful:

The same atlas also shows I-269 as a completed interstate in the Memphis metro area.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: golden eagle on August 17, 2015, 11:32:14 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 03, 2015, 07:21:11 PM

The same atlas also shows I-269 as a completed interstate in the Memphis metro area.
My 2016 Rand shows it too.  :biggrin:
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.