News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Urban Planning/Design under "Non-Road Boards"

Started by Ned Weasel, February 28, 2019, 12:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

I am personally fascinated with urban planning and design, and my interest and knowledge regarding it is always growing - as a matter of fact, if I recall correctly, I think that my Senior Paper (12th Grade, 2017) was even on the subject of urban planning. I would be in support of a board on this forum related to those topics, if it is at all possible and feasible, and that there would not be too many negative effects as a result of it. I agree that we must try to maintain the centrality of roads to the discussion on this forum, but as noted upthread, the addition of this sub-forum would probably not have a significant negative effect on that. I would be really excited to see this, and I feel that it could transform my insight on urban design even more. As mentioned, urban planning is often interconnected with roads and transportation, so it isn't really a topic that is too wildly unrelated. I could agree that it may be best for this board to be hidden from guests, if implemented. I feel like this could be a great addition, and I am excited to see where it goes.

Quote from: oscar on February 28, 2019, 01:39:25 PM
We hide Fictional Highways, yet somehow wound up with some people who seem to do nothing here but post in Fictional. Same could happen with a new urban design board.

While this has happened in some cases (most notably with FritzOwl), I don't think it is quite the same thing - that being because Fictional Highways is still a topic directly related to roads, and that it definitely would have been an interest in some aspect of roads (in this case, fictional roads) that probably brought them to the forum in the first place. I definitely think it would be a good idea to hide this theoretical Urban Planning/Design board, but I don't feel that we would see a very similar phenomenon as that within the Fictional Highways sub-forum.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on February 28, 2019, 07:47:57 PM
I like this idea, as long as it doesn't end up attracting a bunch of people who hate cars.
And therein lies the rub.  That is a parallel concern to what Oscar and I have mentioned.

I see a decent amount of potential that the new board just becomes an anti-road / pro-road shouting match.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

^ As if we don't already have some of that as it is.  We've seen it with some of the more...bullish...freeway proponents on this forum, including a few existing users who can't understand that there are options besides freeways in urban areas.  That said, I'd prefer to avoid mud-slinging shouting matches around here (especially given the Beltway-sprjus4 fireworks of late).

Regarding the mention of a "lack of urbanist discussion boards", I'm a bit surprised that was mentioned.  Not only is there Planitizen, but SkyscraperPage and SkyscraperCity could also arguably be considered such, and those two are forum-based much like AARoads here is.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2019, 08:29:34 AM
I agree with Oscar's sentiments.  Unless there are strict parameters, I see a high risk of the new board turning into a disaster that keeps the moderators even busier.

Or they could, you know, let people discuss things as they want and let the chips fall where they may.

I have no opinion on the proposal, as I have no desire to live in an urban area or somewhere that discourages the use of personal automobile travel to get to Point B from Point A, and wouldn't be reading or participating. Don't think I've ever taken a peek at the transit board here, as I'm not a transit user -- and again, don't want to live somewhere that you can't or don't use a car to get around.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

That's certainly an interesting opinion from someone that doesn't have one. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 01, 2019, 01:14:59 AM
Part of my goal in urban planning is to figure out how to manage auto traffic while also making cities more pedestrian, bike, and transit-friendly. Hopefully auto traffic won't interfere with any of those things.

Now, there's a noble goal!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2019, 12:34:32 PM
That's certainly an interesting opinion from someone that doesn't have one. :D

I think he was expressing an opinion about moderation, rather than the proposed board.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

Quote from: stridentweasel on February 28, 2019, 09:31:39 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 28, 2019, 04:02:43 PM
Indeed! Roads are a huge part of the urban design process. I am constantly designing roads in my proposals. As part of my current project, I have had to redesign a major intersection. Though I have not yet drawn any of the traffic lights or signs, I am proposing a half signal: traffic on the road with the raised crossing would have a stop sign, but the main road has a signal. This is because of a trolley that I have not yet modelled.

With a thread or board devoted to this topic, I could post about this intersection to get some feedback from other users. Only thing stopping me thus far has been the overall feeling that most users here don't care about this stuff, but I might be wrong, judging by the existence of this thread.

I'm really curious to see how this design works with the trolley and the stop sign/traffic signal configuration you describe.  I look forward to seeing more!

"Half signals" seem to work well in Seattle, odd as it may look to drivers (who think people are running a red light). But it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a full signal!

I should have the whole model done with a couple days, and I'll report back. Maybe in that new "Urban planning" thread started by Roadgeekteen.

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2019, 01:41:01 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 01, 2019, 01:14:59 AM
Part of my goal in urban planning is to figure out how to manage auto traffic while also making cities more pedestrian, bike, and transit-friendly. Hopefully auto traffic won't interfere with any of those things.

Now, there's a noble goal!

Yeah, no kidding! It's been the goal of planners for decades now to find some way to fuse everything. I'm not going to say its impossible, nor whether there's places that have "figured it out", but it's a...yeah, "noble goal" sums it up.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: froggie on March 01, 2019, 08:18:38 AM
Regarding the mention of a "lack of urbanist discussion boards", I'm a bit surprised that was mentioned.  Not only is there Planitizen, but SkyscraperPage and SkyscraperCity could also arguably be considered such, and those two are forum-based much like AARoads here is.

In all honesty, I must say, thank you for introducing me to SkyscraperCity!  AARoads Forum appears to have a worthy competitor.  :D
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 01, 2019, 04:19:34 PM

In all honesty, I must say, thank you for introducing me to SkyscraperCity!  AARoads Forum appears to have a worthy competitor.  :D

#1 rule for roadgeeks visiting skyscrapercity:  Be careful what you call a highway.

You have been warned.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

I'm intrigued. What definition do they go by that would find ours offensive?

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 01, 2019, 05:20:57 PM

I'm assuming he's referring to highway = freeway.

That's what it means in my local area among the general public.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

J N Winkler

While there are people there who do share useful information verbally and try to respond constructively to written queries, the Highways & Autobahns board on SkyscraperCity is very photo-focused.  Most of the in-depth discussion occurs on other boards, many of which are country-specific.  The last time I visited it for any significant length of time, it was to use wget to download all the pages for the China thread so I could extract the images for separate viewing in a photo browser.  (I was seeking to orient myself since I was at the time writing downloaders for public resource trading platforms in several Chinese provinces, which I have since used to extract about 2,000 pattern-accurate sign drawings for Chinese expressways and trunk roads.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on March 01, 2019, 05:30:31 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 01, 2019, 05:20:57 PM

I'm assuming he's referring to highway = freeway.

That's what it means in my local area among the general public.
I refuse to use "highway". I use freeway or expressway.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ipeters61

Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2019, 12:30:19 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2019, 08:29:34 AM
I agree with Oscar's sentiments.  Unless there are strict parameters, I see a high risk of the new board turning into a disaster that keeps the moderators even busier.

Or they could, you know, let people discuss things as they want and let the chips fall where they may.

I have no opinion on the proposal, as I have no desire to live in an urban area or somewhere that discourages the use of personal automobile travel to get to Point B from Point A, and wouldn't be reading or participating. Don't think I've ever taken a peek at the transit board here, as I'm not a transit user -- and again, don't want to live somewhere that you can't or don't use a car to get around.
I think I'm in my personal sweet spot in terms of this.  In Dover, I can walk to most places I need to go (including work), but have to drive to where I want to go.  However, there are a small number of alternatives, should I need them.

Not go to off topic, but it's things like this that bother me about articles like, "How Uber/Lyft is ruining car ownership."  Are you going to tell some guy in southern Delaware/the middle of West Virginia/some other rural area, where everything is far apart, that instead of getting into their own personal car outside their door that they should instead call Uber/Lyft and wait 30 minutes for the nearest car to show up?  A lot of these articles make the erroneous assumption that nearly everybody lives in a big city and has this seemingly endless infrastructure available to them, and it really bothers me.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

MantyMadTown

Quote from: ipeters61 on March 03, 2019, 02:01:15 PM
Not go to off topic, but it's things like this that bother me about articles like, "How Uber/Lyft is ruining car ownership."  Are you going to tell some guy in southern Delaware/the middle of West Virginia/some other rural area, where everything is far apart, that instead of getting into their own personal car outside their door that they should instead call Uber/Lyft and wait 30 minutes for the nearest car to show up?  A lot of these articles make the erroneous assumption that nearly everybody lives in a big city and has this seemingly endless infrastructure available to them, and it really bothers me.

Same. I think the people who write these articles are pretty out of touch with the rest of America. Even though the majority of Americans live in cities of some kind (though that figure also includes suburbs and small towns that are still classified as "cities"), most places outside the center of large cities don't have the proper infrastructure in place to get people to where they're going without a car.
Forget the I-41 haters

english si

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 01, 2019, 01:14:59 AMThose anti-car people should just eff off from this forum, because roads are what this forum is all about.
Was with you until here. Roads != cars.

Roads are there for more than just cars - pedestrians, cyclists, buses, trucks, etc. And there's more to roads than the vehicles that use them - history, numbering, signage, engineering, etc.

Anti-road people (normally based in a dislike of cars), however...
Quote from: ipeters61 on March 03, 2019, 02:01:15 PMNot go to off topic, but it's things like this that bother me about articles like, "How Uber/Lyft is ruining car ownership."  Are you going to tell some guy in southern Delaware/the middle of West Virginia/some other rural area, where everything is far apart, that instead of getting into their own personal car outside their door that they should instead call Uber/Lyft and wait 30 minutes for the nearest car to show up?  A lot of these articles make the erroneous assumption that nearly everybody lives in a big city and has this seemingly endless infrastructure available to them, and it really bothers me.
Agreed - arguably rural/semi-rural/suburban planning is more interesting than urban planning, because the challenges are more complex and difficult.

Plus few seem to talk about it, so it's more fresh and interesting, rather than stuff you might have heard before.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: english si on March 03, 2019, 04:01:27 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 01, 2019, 01:14:59 AMThose anti-car people should just eff off from this forum, because roads are what this forum is all about.
Was with you until here. Roads != cars.

Roads are there for more than just cars - pedestrians, cyclists, buses, trucks, etc. And there's more to roads than the vehicles that use them - history, numbering, signage, engineering, etc.

Anti-road people (normally based in a dislike of cars), however...

I agree with you. There's so much more to roads than just cars. And there's a lot that I appreciate about them besides just their use by cars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that they should only be used for auto traffic, so I'm sorry for coming off that way.
Forget the I-41 haters

english si

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 03, 2019, 04:10:54 PMDon't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that they should only be used for auto traffic, so I'm sorry for coming off that way.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say you said that or hold that view. What I disagree with is that anti-car people should eff-off because this is a roads forum.

Anti-car people should be welcome, as long as they like roads.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 04, 2019, 12:28:10 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 03, 2019, 09:35:59 PM
Looks like our request got granted!  :biggrin:

Obviously, I'm happy to see this!

I am as well. Great thanks to the moderators and administrators who have put this together and made it happen. This is a great addition to the forum, and I am very excited!  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Hot Rod Hootenanny

^ As if we don't already have some of that as it is.  We've seen it with some of the more...bullish...freeway proponents on this forum, including a few existing users who can't understand that there are options besides freeways in urban areas.  That said, I'd prefer to avoid mud-slinging shouting matches around here (especially given the Beltway-sprjus4 fireworks of late).

And on a smaller geographic scale, urbanohio.com.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.