DeSantis rejects federal funding that 'politicises' roads

Started by Otto Yamamoto, December 17, 2023, 11:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on December 17, 2023, 11:08:53 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/florida-is-rejecting-320-million-in-federal-funding-to-reduce-emissions-calling-it-politicization-of-our-roadways/ar-AA1lE2Rr?cvid=c394b26e37544e6bb4d32b579a46d0ce&ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&ei=38
What a freakin' fool...

Can't say exactly why on here, though...

Basically, DOTs know how to utilize the funding to show the benefits while still achieving established goals for their capital programs.

Taking a political stand against the funding like this is idiotic...at least in states where the populace understands that turning down $320m in loosely-regulated federal funding is stupid...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

The rejection appears to be only of a pot of money earmarked for projects aimed at reducing emissions.

Still, it's $320M in free money flushed away. I'm sure the folks at FDOT could have figured out how to use that money in a way that generates other benefits if given the chance, but DeSantis is being DeSantis.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

freebrickproductions

I mean, he is campaigning for president, so I suppose it isn't too surprising he'd pull a stunt like this as a campaign ad of sorts... :rolleyes:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

LilianaUwU

That sure is the decision of all time. Ron DeSantis is really gearing up to become one of the governors Florida ever had.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Quote from: Duke87 on December 17, 2023, 11:29:39 PM
The rejection appears to be only of a pot of money earmarked for projects aimed at reducing emissions.

Still, it's $320M in free money flushed away. I'm sure the folks at FDOT could have figured out how to use that money in a way that generates other benefits if given the chance, but DeSantis is being DeSantis.
There's an echo in the thread... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 18, 2023, 01:16:03 AM
Ron DeSantis is really gearing up to become one of the governors Florida ever had.

Without so much as a hint of political partisanship, I can assure you that he already is.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on December 18, 2023, 02:23:25 PM
Ron DeSantis is really gearing up to become one of the governors Florida ever had.

Without so much as a hint of political partisanship, I can assure you that he already is.

Yes, is a certainly understanding, notable, trustworthy elected official.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on December 18, 2023, 03:23:29 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 18, 2023, 02:23:25 PM

Yes, is a certainly understanding, notable, trustworthy elected official.

*whoosh*  ?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Someone should tell the governor that roads have been political since at least Thomas H. MacDonald's day.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

The Ghostbuster

Isn't this thread too political for this forum? I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is eventually locked. In any event, it remains to be seen what effect this refusal of federal funding will have on the people of Florida.

wdcrft63

For many years I was the director of a small state office that depended on federal grants for most of its program delivery. I served during the Clinton, Bush, and most of the Obama administrations. I can confirm that every federal grant application reflects the political thinking of the current administration. What else would you expect? The job of state managers, from the governor down to my low level, was and is to secure all the federal resources available to meet state needs, finding ways to connect those needs to the federal priorities. Turning down federal funds is not doing your job.

Scott5114

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 18, 2023, 06:46:54 PM
Isn't this thread too political for this forum? I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is eventually locked.

I'm leaving it open for now since it does directly affect transportation. If the conversation turns acrimonious, though, it will be locked.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cl94

Ah yes, turning down free money to "own the libs".

As a government bureaucrat, I know it's possible to make these funds into whatever the heck you want unless they have an unusual amount of restrictions. For this item, I would assume that managed/priced lanes count. Florida loves toll roads already, so this could have very easily been used to expand HOT facilities and still meet the terms of the grant. That is, stuff FDOT already does. But you can't earn campaign points that way.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

edwaleni

If memory serves the previous Florida governor turned down billions in HSR money because it mandated that the state DOT foot the gaps in the farebox.

A lot of people got their panties in a wad over that too.

Seems it all turned out OK.

There must have been "fine print" riders in the funding bill that mandated certain activities take place as part of accepting the funding.

DeSantis wouldn't turn it down unless it had some "gotcha" in it. Perhaps more details are needed on exactly why he didn't like it.

Rothman

Quote from: edwaleni on December 18, 2023, 08:58:34 PM
If memory serves the previous Florida governor turned down billions in HSR money because it mandated that the state DOT foot the gaps in the farebox.

There must have been "fine print" riders in the funding bill that mandated certain activities take place as part of accepting the funding.

DeSantis wouldn't turn it down unless it had some "gotcha" in it. Perhaps more details are needed on exactly why he didn't like it.
I've confirmed that this $6.4 billion is Carbon Reduction Program (CRP) funding through FHWA.  As most articles point out, Florida is the only state to turn away the funding.

This is not about a "gotcha," for there is no "gotcha" with CRP.

For decades, states have also received CMAQ funding (Congestion Mitigation Air Quality), which is actually more restrictive than CRP.  DeSantis didn't turn CMAQ down, which means this is just a boneheaded political move.

The Tampa newspaper reports FLDOT already was working on a truck parking plan to increase spaces with the CRP funding -- that's how flexible the stuff is.  Because DeSantis pulled the plug, that project goes poof.

NYSDOT and the other states besides Florida have no problem with spending it.

But, supporters of politicians will always bend over backwards to try to rationalize when such politicians make poor decisions.  The straining for a "gotcha" is just more evidence of this phenomenon.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rothman on December 18, 2023, 10:26:52 PM

I've confirmed that this $6.4 billion is Carbon Reduction Program (CRP) funding through FHWA.  As most articles point out, Florida is the only state to turn away the funding.

For decades, states have also received CMAQ funding (Congestion Mitigation Air Quality), which is actually more restrictive than CRP.  DeSantis didn't turn CMAQ down, which means this is just a boneheaded political move.

The Tampa newspaper reports FLDOT already was working on a truck parking plan to increase spaces with the CRP funding -- that's how flexible the stuff is.  Because DeSantis pulled the plug, that project goes poof.

But, supporters of politicians will always bend over backwards to try to rationalize when such politicians make poor decisions.  The straining for a "gotcha" is just more evidence of this phenomenon.

I wasn't "straining" for a gotcha or trying to rationalize it, I was merely reflecting on what has happened in the past and see if there was other information that perhaps had not been made available. I think that is pretty reasonable.

Please don't be so anxious to put your thoughts or perspectives in my mouth, just because I asked a simple question for more information. I am quite able to reach my own conclusions.

A response that simply ended with, "there were no extra ordinary gotchas found" was adequate.

Rothman

Quote from: edwaleni on December 18, 2023, 11:52:19 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 18, 2023, 10:26:52 PM

I wasn't "straining" for a gotcha or trying to rationalize it, I was merely reflecting on what has happened in the past and see if there was other information that perhaps had not been made available. I think that is pretty reasonable.

Please don't be so anxious to put your thoughts or perspectives in my mouth, just because I asked a simple question for more information. I am quite able to reach my own conclusions.

A response that simply ended with, "there were no extra ordinary gotchas found" was adequate.
Fair enough, but I wasn't pointing you out individually with that statement, but rather supporters of politicians who make bad decisions in general.

civilengineeringnerd

personally thats just dumb as hell. like this is why we probably should just leave the infrastructure of the US to the private sector, and have them do our public works for a few decades.
yes regulation would be needed, but good lord this tribalist banter of both parties has got to stop. our roads need fixing and widening, we need passenger trains linking the metros of the us together, and we definitely need better water and electricity services, especially out west! our infrastructure is in need of upgrades and updating.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

Rothman

Quote from: civilengineeringnerd on January 25, 2024, 12:48:28 AM
personally thats just dumb as hell. like this is why we probably should just leave the infrastructure of the US to the private sector, and have them do our public works for a few decades.
yes regulation would be needed, but good lord this tribalist banter of both parties has got to stop. our roads need fixing and widening, we need passenger trains linking the metros of the us together, and we definitely need better water and electricity services, especially out west! our infrastructure is in need of upgrades and updating.
Given another post you've made in another thread calling for increased taxes, your many posts are becoming like messy collages of transportation policy-related cliches.

The Ghostbuster

DeSantis will leave office in 2027 (due to term limits). Perhaps the next Florida Governor will not be so quick to reject federal funding. I hope he/she supports building new toll roads and new toll lanes.

NWI_Irish96

Privatizing things doesn't make the politics go away.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: Rothman on January 25, 2024, 07:39:35 AM
Given another post you've made in another thread calling for increased taxes, your many posts are becoming like messy collages of transportation policy-related cliches.
maybe the case, but still. something has to be done.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.