News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on February 08, 2019, 09:03:51 AM
Boston also has the oldest subway in the U.S., so they started the bandwagon.
And some of those subways took over the trolley lines.

I was going to ask if a Wilmington-Newark or Wilmington-Dover light rail line would be more suitable, but now that I think about it, either one of these would be better for a commuter rail system more than light rail.

Tonytone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 14, 2019, 12:47:41 AM

I was going to ask if a Wilmington-Newark or Wilmington-Dover light rail line would be more suitable, but now that I think about it, either one of these would be better for a commuter rail system more than light rail.
From reading reports , there used to be Trains that went all the way to the bottom of Delaware, but they removed the tracks. The best option would be a commuter system like you said that goes from wilmington newark & Dover.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

ipeters61

SEPTA already runs (albeit extremely limited) service between Wilmington and Newark, with tracks specifically for the local SEPTA trains separated from the intercity Amtrak trains, so the infrastructure is there.

I really don't see the need for anything beyond a bus between Wilmington and Dover, but I've only done a "reverse commute" between NCCo and Dover.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

D-Dey65

Quote from: ipeters61 on February 14, 2019, 08:19:04 AM

SEPTA already runs (albeit extremely limited) service between Wilmington and Newark, with tracks specifically for the local SEPTA trains separated from the intercity Amtrak trains, so the infrastructure is there.
Oh, yes. I forgot it went that far. And I should've known better with all my Wikipedia work, not to mention the work I've wanted to do there.

ipeters61

Starting next week, one stoplight will be eliminated on the DE-1 mainline, with the opening of the new Little Heaven/Bowers Beach overpass:

https://www.delawarepublic.org/post/new-route-1-overpass-little-heaven-open-next-week

This will leave one stoplight on DE-1 between Five Points/Lewes (US-9) and Christiana.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

froggie

^ The signal at 16?  Or has that also been replaced?

ipeters61

Quote from: froggie on March 01, 2019, 07:47:12 AM
^ The signal at 16?  Or has that also been replaced?
1 at 16 still has a signal.  That's the only one on DE-1 north of Lewes (after the new Bowers Beach Road overpass opens).
Instagram | Clinched Map

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ipeters61

Instagram | Clinched Map

ixnay

Quote from: ipeters61 on March 04, 2019, 08:21:55 PM
Quote from: ixnay on March 04, 2019, 07:59:15 PM
Looks like that Bowers Beach overpass has opened.

https://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicTrafficIncidentDisplay&id=103072

http://www.wboc.com/story/40066925/little-heaven-intersection-on-route-1-makes-kent-county-travel-easier

ixnay
I'll have to check it out.  I could go out now (it's less than 15 minutes from me), but I'm too lazy.  :biggrin:

Finally got to look at the overpass on DelDOT's webcams and yep, the bridge is open.

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/del-1-overpass-at-bowers-beach-road-opens/

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ipeters61

Quote from: ixnay on March 05, 2019, 06:50:46 AM

https://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicTrafficIncidentDisplay&id=103072

http://www.wboc.com/story/40066925/little-heaven-intersection-on-route-1-makes-kent-county-travel-easier

ixnay
I'll have to check it out.  I could go out now (it's less than 15 minutes from me), but I'm too lazy.  :biggrin:

Finally got to look at the overpass on DelDOT's webcams and yep, the bridge is open.

ixnay
They uncovered the Exit 88 sign as of yesterday evening, but northbound, "Magnolia" is still covered (photos from yesterday evening, in the first photo, in the distance you can see the new overpass open).  Clapham Road from the DE-1 SB ramp to the entrance to DE-1 is still one way southbound.

Also, Exit 86 (DE-12, North Frederica) is now a southbound exit only.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alex4897

It might be time to say goodbye to DE Route 34, DelDOT looks poised to remove signage for it by this summer:

https://deldot.gov/projects/Studies/FaulklandRoadDeclassificatioofDE34/pdf/Faulkland.pdf
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Construction on phase whatever had begun on De 141 to Expand the bridge that crosses SB I-95, they have put up construction barriers & started cutting down the trees around the overpass.

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on March 08, 2019, 02:05:23 PM
Construction on phase whatever had begun on De 141 to Expand the bridge that crosses SB I-95, they have put up construction barriers & started cutting down the trees around the overpass.

iPhone

I was going to check out the project to figure out what this next phase is going to entail because I couldn't remember off the top of my head, but it seems DelDOT completely disabled their old project listing page in favor of the new page... which contains next to no actual detailed information or maps for any upcoming projects.

This is all the information you can get from their website now:
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 08, 2019, 02:11:28 PM

iPhone

I was going to check out the project to figure out what this next phase is going to entail because I couldn't remember off the top of my head, but it seems DelDOT completely disabled their old project listing page in favor of the new page... which contains next to no actual detailed information or maps for any upcoming projects.

This is all the information you can get from their website now:

I noticed that aswell, sometimes I look on the site to check if any projects have been updated. Hopefully they fix it & its not a permanent thing.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 08, 2019, 02:11:28 PM

iPhone

I was going to check out the project to figure out what this next phase is going to entail because I couldn't remember off the top of my head, but it seems DelDOT completely disabled their old project listing page in favor of the new page... which contains next to no actual detailed information or maps for any upcoming projects...

From 2014 Presentation:  https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/i95/sr141-i95/pdfs/interchange_improvements.pdf .  More details & links: https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/i95/sr141-i95/index.shtml

Basically, adding a 3rd lane in both directions from Commons Blvd, thru 95, to the Christiana River.  Some of those improvements have begun, in part, associated with the recent project that rebuilt the 141 bridges over 95.

Alps

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 08, 2019, 02:03:21 PM
It might be time to say goodbye to DE Route 34, DelDOT looks poised to remove signage for it by this summer:

https://deldot.gov/projects/Studies/FaulklandRoadDeclassificatioofDE34/pdf/Faulkland.pdf
What's the last time they decommissioned an active (not Alt) route?

Alex4897

Quote from: Alps on March 08, 2019, 06:57:22 PM

That honor belongs to DE Route 28, decommissioned in 1974 and replaced with US Route 9.

Prior to that:

• DE Route 32 was replaced by DE Route 54 in 1969 after having only lasted a year, as DE and MD decided to sign a consistent number for the road straddling the state line.
  • DE Route 4 was replaced by DE Route 299 in 1957 then resigned 10 years later on its current alignment.
  • DE Route 30 was decommissioned in 1938 along Atlanta and Dublin Hill Roads north of Seaford and immediately recommissioned along a portion of its current alignment north of Millsboro.
  • DE Route 22 was decommissioned in 1938 having been replaced by DE Route 5 from Milton to Long Neck, and eventually DE Route 23 on the rest of the Long Neck portion.
  • DE Route 796 (cited by Alex on AAR's state route log) may have been part of what became DE Route 896 north of Newark, I remember somebody posting a picture of an old DE Route 796 rectangular shield, though I can't seem to find any sources that back up the route's existence.

TLDR: Delaware doesn't do a lot of decommissioning and when they do there's a decent chance the number will end up getting reused.
👉😎👉

Alps

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 08, 2019, 07:27:15 PM

That honor belongs to DE Route 28, decommissioned in 1974 and replaced with US Route 9.

Prior to that:

• DE Route 32 was replaced by DE Route 54 in 1969 after having only lasted a year, as DE and MD decided to sign a consistent number for the road straddling the state line.
  • DE Route 4 was replaced by DE Route 299 in 1957 then resigned 10 years later on its current alignment.
  • DE Route 30 was decommissioned in 1938 along Atlanta and Dublin Hill Roads north of Seaford and immediately recommissioned along a portion of its current alignment north of Millsboro.
  • DE Route 22 was decommissioned in 1938 having been replaced by DE Route 5 from Milton to Long Neck, and eventually DE Route 23 on the rest of the Long Neck portion.
  • DE Route 796 (cited by Alex on AAR's state route log) may have been part of what became DE Route 896 north of Newark, I remember somebody posting a picture of an old DE Route 796 rectangular shield, though I can't seem to find any sources that back up the route's existence.

TLDR: Delaware doesn't do a lot of decommissioning and when they do there's a decent chance the number will end up getting reused.
DE 30 is the only time a road was outright decommissioned instead of renumbered. I really thought there was more precedent than that.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alps on March 08, 2019, 07:41:32 PM

Prior to that:

DE 30 is the only time a road was outright decommissioned instead of renumbered. I really thought there was more precedent than that.
As did I. I didn't actually know about DE 30's prior alignment prior to researching this, it seems like a strange route to commission though I suppose that's why it didn't end up lasting in that condition for very long.
👉😎👉

ixnay

Where did the pre-1957 DE 4 run?  And what was the current DE 299 before it became DE 299?

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on March 09, 2019, 08:04:02 AM

Where did the pre-1957 DE 4 run?  And what was the current DE 299 before it became DE 299?

ixnay
I think you're misreading - one and the same

sprjus4

Quote from: ipeters61 on March 06, 2019, 06:49:09 PM
Quote from: ixnay on March 05, 2019, 06:50:46 AM

ixnay

ixnay
They uncovered the Exit 88 sign as of yesterday evening, but northbound, "Magnolia" is still covered (photos from yesterday evening, in the first photo, in the distance you can see the new overpass open).  Clapham Road from the DE-1 SB ramp to the entrance to DE-1 is still one way southbound.

Also, Exit 86 (DE-12, North Frederica) is now a southbound exit only.

Nice. Now they need to convert the rest of the highway from Little Heaven to Dover into limited-access freeway to create one continuous system.

Alex4897

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 09, 2019, 12:35:01 PM
Nice. Now they need to convert the rest of the highway from Little Heaven to Dover into limited-access freeway to create one continuous system.

That wouldn't be too difficult, there's all of one driveway, a couple of farm access points, and a sub-standard exit to contend with along that portion. I don't see anything like that happening anytime soon though. DelDOT seems more interested in simply getting the traffic moving through the choke points along DE 1 rather than a complete limited access rebuild, which I'll happily settle for as the former still gets rid of most of the headaches.
👉😎👉

sprjus4

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 09, 2019, 08:03:08 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 09, 2019, 12:35:01 PM

That wouldn't be too difficult, there's all of one driveway, a couple of farm access points, and a sub-standard exit to contend with along that portion. I don't see anything like that happening anytime soon though. DelDOT seems more interested in simply getting the traffic moving through the choke points along DE 1 rather than a complete limited access rebuild, which I'll happily settle for as the former still gets rid of most of the headaches.
I agree the choke points should be the first priority. As those are completed, linking the pieces in between should be the next goal, with frontage roads, rural interchanges, etc. They'd discuss in the past shifting a freeway down the US-113 corridor heading to Salisbury, Maryland, which wouldn't be a bad idea for a US-13 build-out, along with DE-1. US 13 through Maryland is fully limited-access (with at-grade intersections) and could easily be upgraded as well. Then there's Virginia... (four-lane, non-limited-access, traffic lights scattered everywhere, narrow footprint, NIMBY heavy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.