News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Least favorite sport?

Started by Roadgeekteen, July 01, 2017, 10:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your least favorite sport?

Basketball
2 (8.3%)
Basball
1 (4.2%)
Football
1 (4.2%)
Soccer (or "football")
5 (20.8%)
Ice hockey
1 (4.2%)
Lacross
2 (8.3%)
Boxing/wresling
8 (33.3%)
Other
4 (16.7%)
Tennis
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Alps

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 15, 2017, 04:22:59 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2017, 12:32:19 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 14, 2017, 11:06:20 PM
Basketball, because the shot-clock has ruined the game.
Huh?  You liked it when the offense could just play keep away without restraint once they got the lead?

Which actually is exactly why the NBA adopted it in the mid-1950s.  I'd say there is more merit to controversy about the three point shot but it really changed the game from a Center dominated sport to a perimeter game. 
The game is still dominated in front, but now by smaller players. The style, pace, and rules have changed away from a tall slow guy being super effective. Look at Shaq as an example of someone who bridged that change in the game.

I-39

Quote from: Alps on July 15, 2017, 04:37:30 PM
Huh?  You liked it when the offense could just play keep away without restraint once they got the lead?

Which actually is exactly why the NBA adopted it in the mid-1950s.  I'd say there is more merit to controversy about the three point shot but it really changed the game from a Center dominated sport to a perimeter game. 
The game is still dominated in front, but now by smaller players. The style, pace, and rules have changed away from a tall slow guy being super effective. Look at Shaq as an example of someone who bridged that change in the game.

Not gonna lie, I miss seeing dominant big man. I wonder if we'll ever see a dominant center again. Not a huge fan of the small ball lineups we see now.

Takumi

Quote from: I-39 on July 15, 2017, 07:16:59 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 15, 2017, 04:37:30 PM

Not gonna lie, I miss seeing dominant big man. I wonder if we'll ever see a dominant center again. Not a huge fan of the small ball lineups we see now.
Poor Greg Oden.
https://youtu.be/KXbpB-rlung
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jp the roadgeek

Basketball is just going through a phase where smaller players and jump shooting is emphasized more.  Every sport goes through phases.  For example, baseball went through the Deadball Era of the 1920's before Babe Ruth came along and emphasized hitting for power.  By the 60's, dominant pitching had taken over and we had 1968 where Bob Gibson had a 1.12 ERA, Denny McLain won 31 games, and Yaz won the batting title by hitting .301.  After lowering the mound, hitters took over again, and we went back and forth for years until the whole juiced ball/juiced player era of McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds (BTW, anyone see that recent picture of Sosa)?  Pitching came back after the whole scandal, but now home runs are back en vogue again.  So, there will be an era in basketball again where there will be an emphasis on getting it down low to the big fella. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SP Cook

With one exception, I deal with sports like I deal with foods, I just ignore what I don't like and leave it be.

The exception is the most repugnant and repellant sport ever.  The NBA.

It ruined what was once a show I never missed, SportsCenter, and a channel that was my default channel for decades, ESPN.

Once, SportsCenter covered, well, the sports.  Then ESPN fell in with the NBA.  If you look at the actual popularity of the NBA (the vast majority of Americans and in fact the vast majority of sports fans ignore this niche sport totally) ESPN devotes 1000 times the electronic ink to it as is justified.  It is all (well, that and far-left white guilt political idiocy) ESPN talks about.  Which is why ESPN's ratings are a dumpster fire. 

Why?  Because it is so easy.  To talk intelligently about a complex sport is difficult.  Very few can do and very very very few can do it about more that one sport.  It requires intelligence, and hard work.  Talking NBA requires a couple of catch phrases, spewing conclusory statements, and adding in coverage of fashion/lifestyles/personalities that, if done to a female sport, would, and rightly would, have all women up in arms.

The NBA is crap.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.