News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sports fans. What're your teams?

Started by OCGuy81, September 29, 2011, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2011, 11:06:33 PM
Considering that Ohio wasn't technically a state until 1953...and likes to pull over people for at the limit or slightly under...and let's not get into the police action at a certain U in the northeast part of the state in the seventies.  :pan:

Nice to see State kick OSU around last weekend.

nah, it has always been a state since its admission in 1803.

from Wikipedia:
QuoteOn February 19, 1803, President Jefferson signed an act of Congress that approved Ohio's boundaries and constitution. However, Congress had never passed a resolution formally admitting Ohio as the 17th state. The current custom of Congress declaring an official date of statehood did not begin until 1812, with Louisiana's admission as the 18th state.

therefore, by the customs of 1803, it was ratified correctly. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

The Michigan folks are still bitter about Ohio stealing Toledo and moving the state boundary north a few miles.

Just west of Toledo and north of the Turnpike, you can actually see a road called "Old State Line Road". Notice that almost none of the north south roads are continuous across this line? And following a line west of the road when it ends, you'll notice all of the county roads have sharp bends. This is where the state line used to be before the "Toledo War" between the states.

NWI_Irish96

I thought that Michigan won that war and that's why Ohio got Toledo :>
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

twinsfan87

NCAA: Wisconsin Badgers (natl. championship game this year???)
NFL: Minnesota Vikings (maybe not for long if they keep stinking so bad), Pittsburgh Steelers, New Orleans Saints
MLB: Minnesota Twins, Milwaukee Brewers (fairweather fan of the Brewers
I don't really follow NHL or NBA.

bassoon1986

Gotta root for my Saints!

Also love some LSU football, and now that I'm living in DFW I can't get enough of Rangers games

triplemultiplex

We're living it up in Wisconsin after the Cheesehead Super Weekend.

Brewers up 2-0 in the NLDS.
Badgers demolish the Cornhuskers (welcome to the Big 10)
Packers run up the score on Denver.

Octoberfest indeed.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2011, 11:06:33 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 03, 2011, 09:14:32 PM
Love seeing Ohio State haters from the territory, up north, that attempts to arrest citizens in other states who committed crimes elsewhere.  :pan:

Considering that Ohio wasn't technically a state until 1953...and likes to pull over people for at the limit or slightly under...and let's not get into the police action at a certain U in the northeast part of the state in the seventies.  :pan:

Nice to see State kick OSU around last weekend.

I'm sure you wouldn't like to discuss the police action in a certain city between Lakes Huron and Erie in the late 60s either. :pan:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bugo

Love seeing Ohio State haters from the territory, up north, that attempts to arrest citizens in other states who committed crimes elsewhere.  :pan:

After last year's Sugar Bowl, a lot of Arkansans have developed a new hatred for Ohio State.  I read some Razorback forums (some of the posters are cool, some of them are the biggest douchebags I've ever encountered online) and since the Sugar Bowl was announced there have been lots of posts slamming OSU.  The fact that they played players who were not eligible and the fact that the coach knew about it left a bad taste in Hog fans' mouths.

bugo

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 04, 2011, 04:18:05 PM

Badgers demolish the Cornhuskers (welcome to the Big 10)

The Razorbacks welcomed the Aggies into the SEC as well, by rallying to beat them 42-38.  It was the second 2nd half choke in a row by the Ags.

pianocello

Quote from: bugo on October 04, 2011, 09:31:20 PM
The Razorbacks welcomed the Aggies into the SEC as well, by rallying to beat them 42-38.  It was the second 2nd half choke in a row by the Ags.

Technically, aTm isn't part of the SEC until next summer, but that's essentially the same effect.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

OCGuy81

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new super conferences.  Now I hear Mizzou is possibly joining the SEC.  Is there something wrong with the Big 12 that has schools jumping ship?

bugo

There is one major thing that is wrong with the Big 12: The University of Texas.  The Big 12 doesn't have equal revenue sharing like the SEC has, so UT gets a lot more money than the other teams.  This is why A&M bolted to the SEC: They wanted the equal revenue sharing and they wanted to make a statement to UT that Aggy doesn't need UT to survive.  They're nobody's kid brother team anymore, they're THE premier sports university in Texas. 

OCGuy81

Texas needs to move to the Pac 12 so my Trojans can beat em down!  :-P

tchafe1978

I'm a total homer, I root for all the in-state and local teams.
NBA: Bucks, though I'm not a huge fan of the NBA overall
MLB: Brewers (this is their year!)
NFL: Packers (Super Bowl Bound!)
NHL: Don't really follow closely, but I used to follow the Penguins when Lemuiex was still playing
College sports: Wisconsin, Marquette, UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay, and my alma mater UW-Platteville

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bugo on October 04, 2011, 09:24:25 PM

After last year's Sugar Bowl, a lot of Arkansans have developed a new hatred for Ohio State.  I read some Razorback forums (some of the posters are cool, some of them are the biggest douchebags I've ever encountered online) and since the Sugar Bowl was announced there have been lots of posts slamming OSU.  The fact that they played players who were not eligible and the fact that the coach knew about it left a bad taste in Hog fans' mouths.

Yeah, not one of the greatest moments in the history of the lettters "O," "S," and "U." 
Then again, how does Fayetteville feel about having Gus Malzahn on your staff, and then letting him go...then watching him defeat Arkansas last year.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 05, 2011, 10:40:48 PM
Texas needs to move to the Pac 12 so my Trojans can beat em down!  :-P

You had your chance back when the best (college) team money could buy got run over repeatedly by Vince Young and Cedric Benson.
P.S. Baton Rouge is still waiting for that 1/2 football championship that USC illegally bought.

bugo

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 05, 2011, 11:12:30 PM
Quote from: bugo on October 04, 2011, 09:24:25 PM

Yeah, not one of the greatest moments in the history of the lettters "O," "S," and "U." 
Then again, how does Fayetteville feel about having Gus Malzahn on your staff, and then letting him go...then watching him defeat Arkansas last year.

Some Hog fans have a hard-on for Gus, but personally I don't like him.  He's an overrated coach (his whole game plan is "give it to the freak athlete and run it up the middle) and I don't like the fact that Auburn now has a recruiting pipeline to Arkansas.

BigMattFromTexas

NCAA - Texas!
NHL - Penguins/Stars
NBA - Spurs
NFL - Cowboys (I don't really like pro football..)
MLB - Rangers
I'm all Texas, except for the Penguins..
BigMatt

OCGuy81

QuoteThere is one major thing that is wrong with the Big 12: The University of Texas.  The Big 12 doesn't have equal revenue sharing like the SEC has, so UT gets a lot more money than the other teams.  This is why A&M bolted to the SEC: They wanted the equal revenue sharing and they wanted to make a statement to UT that Aggy doesn't need UT to survive.  They're nobody's kid brother team anymore, they're THE premier sports university in Texas. 

Sounds like Texas is trying to fill the void left by A&M departing.  ESPN had a report today that TCU was in talks to join the Big 12, despite an unofficial agreement to join the Big East.  Frankly, Big 12 would make more sense givent their location.

realjd

Supposedly Texas and Notre Dame (douchebags) were in talks to join the Big Ten...

Brandon

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 06, 2011, 11:08:16 PM
QuoteThere is one major thing that is wrong with the Big 12: The University of Texas.  The Big 12 doesn't have equal revenue sharing like the SEC has, so UT gets a lot more money than the other teams.  This is why A&M bolted to the SEC: They wanted the equal revenue sharing and they wanted to make a statement to UT that Aggy doesn't need UT to survive.  They're nobody's kid brother team anymore, they're THE premier sports university in Texas. 

Sounds like Texas is trying to fill the void left by A&M departing.  ESPN had a report today that TCU was in talks to join the Big 12, despite an unofficial agreement to join the Big East.  Frankly, Big 12 would make more sense givent their location.

The irony here is that the Big 12 took Baylor over TCU, and TCU, IIRC, is still pissed about that.  They bring in Houston, Rice, and SMU, and it's the old SWC all over again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Michael in Philly

^^Congratulations to Tiger fans.
And that's all I'm saying about baseball until after this evening. 
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

pianocello

Quote from: realjd on October 06, 2011, 11:42:23 PM
Supposedly Texas and Notre Dame (douchebags) were in talks to join the Big Ten...

God, I hope not.

Quote from: Brandon on October 07, 2011, 07:00:04 AM
The irony here is that the Big 12 took Baylor over TCU, and TCU, IIRC, is still pissed about that.  They bring in Houston, Rice, and SMU, and it's the old SWC all over again.

Yeah, but TCU's good now...
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Stephane Dumas

NHL: Montreal Canadiens, however I wish a return of a NHL team in Quebec City.
MLB: since the Expos left, the Toronto Blue Jays
CFL: Montreal Alouettes
NASL: Montreal Impact who'll move to MLS for the 2012 season

Tarkus

NCAA Football: Oregon Ducks.
NFL: Baltimore Ravens, San Francisco 49ers (used to like the Seahawks, but stopped liking them once Pete Carroll took over as coach).
NASCAR: Marcos Ambrose, Brad Keselowski, Dave Blaney

Don't really follow anything else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.