News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Annoying driver behavior NOT caused by incompetence

Started by CtrlAltDel, August 24, 2019, 05:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lstone19

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 28, 2019, 04:09:59 PM
4. People who flash their high beams to get me to move over, even though I'm doing 10+ miles over the limit.

This was 25 or so years ago but ...

People who flash their high beams to get me to move over, even though I'm already in the right lane (admittedly I was barely at the speed limit as I was limping along on a mini-spare. But the left lane was empty - I guess that was too far out of his way).

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 28, 2019, 03:13:50 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 28, 2019, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 27, 2019, 05:19:19 PM
5. People who stop to let someone in/out of a cross street/driveway when they have the right of way and traffic is moving.  I mean you, asshole school bus driver, stopping and letting the turning bus through when we are in a line of traffic moving at speed.
I am guilty of doing this at two, maybe three select locations. However, not when moving at speed. Only when overcapacity is such that the whole stream is moving at 10-15 mph, and they are likely to give up and turn right before they ever get a gap.
I occasionally let people through, but I've almost entirely stopped letting people through more than one lane, because that's just asking for someone to get T-boned.

Absolutely agree. The examples I refer to are on two-lane roads. Anything requiring more than two-way communication is asking for trouble.

vdeane

Quote from: lstone19 on August 28, 2019, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 28, 2019, 04:09:59 PM
4. People who flash their high beams to get me to move over, even though I'm doing 10+ miles over the limit.

This was 25 or so years ago but ...

People who flash their high beams to get me to move over, even though I'm already in the right lane (admittedly I was barely at the speed limit as I was limping along on a mini-spare. But the left lane was empty - I guess that was too far out of his way).
I had one case where I was driving on a two-lane road.  This was at night, practically no traffic, ample passing zones, and I was already going 5 over.  It's not like I was driving extremely slow, and he had plenty of opportunity to legally pass (and being that it was night, seeing someone's oncoming headlights is easy, so passing should have been even easier than during the day, especially as there was almost no other traffic).  Did he?  Nope, just spent 10 miles flashing his high beams until he decided to illegally pass me over a double yellow approaching a red light for a one-lane bridge (right around here).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

allniter89

Quote from: kphoger on August 28, 2019, 01:49:35 PM
Drivers, who have stopped on the shoulder of a highway, pulling immediately out into the travel lanes from 0 mph.  Safer practice is to use the shoulder as an acceleration lane, then enter the travel lanes at closer to the speed of traffic.

Even worse is when 18 wheelers pull of the shoulder straight into the travel lanes. A loaded truck has very slow acceleration so it takes a looong time to get up to the speed limit
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Brandon

Quote from: webny99 on August 28, 2019, 02:40:26 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 28, 2019, 02:34:11 PM
5. People who stop to let someone in/out of a cross street/driveway when they have the right of way and traffic is moving.  I mean you, asshole school bus driver, stopping and letting the turning bus through when we are in a line of traffic moving at speed.
I am guilty of doing this at two, maybe three select locations. However, not when moving at speed. Only when overcapacity is such that the whole stream is moving at 10-15 mph, and they are likely to give up and turn right before they ever get a gap.
They do this when busses are leaving my town's high school.  Busses who leave from one entrance stop to let the others out that the second entrance.  I've always said that if that ever happens to me, I will lay down the horn obnoxiously.

Same thing happens at a school near me. If you were a bus driver and that's what you did for a living, you'd probably do the same thing. They're on a schedule, and I'm pretty sure they know what's most efficient for the system as a whole. You just can't expect normal priorities to apply when driving near a school at arrival or dismissal time.

Um, yes you can, and yes, you should.  They can wait like anyone else for traffic to clear first instead of being assholes about it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Rothman

Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2019, 06:56:58 AM
They do this when busses are leaving my town's high school.  Busses who leave from one entrance stop to let the others out that the second entrance.  I've always said that if that ever happens to me, I will lay down the horn obnoxiously.

Same thing happens at a school near me. If you were a bus driver and that's what you did for a living, you'd probably do the same thing. They're on a schedule, and I'm pretty sure they know what's most efficient for the system as a whole. You just can't expect normal priorities to apply when driving near a school at arrival or dismissal time.

Um, yes you can, and yes, you should.  They can wait like anyone else for traffic to clear first instead of being assholes about it.
Nah.  School buses would never run on time in that case.  Although I understand the inconvenience, the benefits gained from the buses getting kids home when they need to be outweigh the minutes it may cost you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on August 29, 2019, 06:59:12 AM

Nah.  School buses would never run on time in that case.  Although I understand the inconvenience, the benefits gained from the buses getting kids home when they need to be outweigh the minutes it may cost you.

Tough shit.  They can follow the same rules of the road as everyone else by waiting for traffic to clear.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Rothman

Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2019, 07:00:17 AM

Tough shit.  They can follow the same rules of the road as everyone else by waiting for traffic to clear.
I look forward to you arguing this to your local school board and the reaction you would get:  Exactly your two starting words, there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

I bet it's not even 20 seconds he loses.

webny99

On that, we can agree!

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 29, 2019, 07:20:52 AM
I bet it's not even 20 seconds he loses.

If the school near me is any indication, it could easily be several minutes between the volume of buses, and the short length of the green light at the adjacent traffic signal. But IMO a few minutes for everyone, is better than a few seconds for existing traffic and 10-15 minutes for buses at the second entrance. Sort of the same basic principle as a zipper merge; take turns when congested.

Flint1979

Sounds about how like the city buses run here in Saginaw, Michigan. They are already running late but they speed, run red lights and do other dangerous things. I got a STARS bus driver fired about 6 years ago. I was behind one of their buses that disregarded two train crossings which you have to stop at. I wanted to know who the driver was after the second missed stop and found out it was a lady that I had a problem with before when I was riding on the bus. So I called STARS dispatch and reported it. The person on the other end thanked me for bringing it to their attention and said that they would bring it up at their next safety meeting. Well about a month later i was on one of their buses and overheard someone talking about the driver that did this and said she isn't with the company anymore they terminated her because she ran a train crossing i thought holy crap I'm the one that got her fired.

kphoger

I was once making a supplies delivery to the school district in Carmi (IL), here.  While I was making my delivery, it came time for the school buses to line up.  Apparently, it was usual practice to line all the buses up on this block, two buses wide, then load all the kids on.  They told me the buses would be lining up soon, but I was legally parallel-parked, so I wasn't too concerned.  When they told me I'd better hurry up, I told them it was a public street without any parking restriction signs.  But I proceeded outside, did some re-stacking and re-strapping in the back of the truck to make sure my load was still secure, and left.

Next day, my boss said they had complained about my behavior, saying I didn't care about blocking the buses and taking my sweet time in the back of the truck before leaving.  I told them my attitude should probably have been better, but that there's nothing actually wrong with being parallel-parked on a public street.  I see in the GSV shot I linked to above that there's now a parking restriction sign...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on August 30, 2019, 02:40:01 PMNext day, my boss said they had complained about my behavior, saying I didn't care about blocking the buses and taking my sweet time in the back of the truck before leaving.  I told them my attitude should probably have been better, but that there's nothing actually wrong with being parallel-parked on a public street.  I see in the GSV shot I linked to above that there's now a parking restriction sign...

It is not legally enforceable since it does not use the FHWA alphabet series.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sprjus4

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 30, 2019, 03:20:00 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 30, 2019, 02:40:01 PMNext day, my boss said they had complained about my behavior, saying I didn't care about blocking the buses and taking my sweet time in the back of the truck before leaving.  I told them my attitude should probably have been better, but that there's nothing actually wrong with being parallel-parked on a public street.  I see in the GSV shot I linked to above that there's now a parking restriction sign...

Try to tell that one to a cop  :D

Brandon

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 30, 2019, 04:07:42 PM

It depends on who installed the signage.  If it is a municipal street and the signage was installed by the school, then it may not be enforceable at all.

Scott5114

Quote from: allniter89 on August 26, 2019, 10:53:45 PM
I take my foot off the gas pedal & coast til they buy a vowel & pass me, I've slowed to 35 in a 70 before they catch on.

Wait, what?

Who gets the $250? I thought Sajak had cornered the market on that one.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

This goes beyond annoying. I will mention the roads I was on as well since I have mentioned names of roads in my area on this forum before. I was on M-84 (Bay Road) coming up to Tittabawassee Road (I love spelling Tittabawassee lol). I was the third car back in the right turn lane to make a right onto Tittabawassee. The first vehicle was a pickup truck with out of state plates (Indiana), the second car was a white Impala and then me. The light was red for us but there is a green arrow for a right hand turn at that intersection (I might have to get a picture to show what I'm talking about), ok so the light is red and the green arrow for right turn is on, no one is moving and I'm thinking the truck from Indiana might not know that you don't have to stop when the green arrow is on. So we're stopped there and I honk my horn to get the truck to start moving and after a couple of honks he did make his right turn.

Once all three of us were on Tittabawassee (I'm waiting for the day I misspell that word and don't even realize it) the truck was in the right lane, the white car gets in the left lane and the next light at Fashion Square Blvd. is red so we all have to stop for that light. The guy in the white car pulls up next to me puts his hands up in the air and starts shouting at me, so I responded back because I was already ticked about the previous light. He then wants to fight me, signaling with his finger to come here. This guy has about a 5 year old kid sitting in the front seat of his car (which is illegal because the kid should be in a booster seat in the back seat not in the front seat but that's beside the point). I started cussing at the guy throwing the F bomb at him pretty good. At the next light he was going to turn left and I was going straight, I honked my horn one more time at him and flicked him off. In the meantime the idiot from Indiana is taking forever and a day to get going at the light and I'm wanting to get around the truck but the damn car I'm fighting with is right next to me. I mean talk about road rage, all I did was honked my horn to get them to start moving.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 31, 2019, 09:43:50 AM
This goes beyond annoying. I will mention the roads I was on as well since I have mentioned names of roads in my area on this forum before. I was on M-84 (Bay Road) coming up to Tittabawassee Road (I love spelling Tittabawassee lol). I was the third car back in the right turn lane to make a right onto Tittabawassee. The first vehicle was a pickup truck with out of state plates (Indiana), the second car was a white Impala and then me. The light was red for us but there is a green arrow for a right hand turn at that intersection (I might have to get a picture to show what I'm talking about), ok so the light is red and the green arrow for right turn is on, no one is moving and I'm thinking the truck from Indiana might not know that you don't have to stop when the green arrow is on. So we're stopped there and I honk my horn to get the truck to start moving and after a couple of honks he did make his right turn.

Once all three of us were on Tittabawassee (I'm waiting for the day I misspell that word and don't even realize it) the truck was in the right lane, the white car gets in the left lane and the next light at Fashion Square Blvd. is red so we all have to stop for that light. The guy in the white car pulls up next to me puts his hands up in the air and starts shouting at me, so I responded back because I was already ticked about the previous light. He then wants to fight me, signaling with his finger to come here. This guy has about a 5 year old kid sitting in the front seat of his car (which is illegal because the kid should be in a booster seat in the back seat not in the front seat but that's beside the point). I started cussing at the guy throwing the F bomb at him pretty good. At the next light he was going to turn left and I was going straight, I honked my horn one more time at him and flicked him off. In the meantime the idiot from Indiana is taking forever and a day to get going at the light and I'm wanting to get around the truck but the damn car I'm fighting with is right next to me. I mean talk about road rage, all I did was honked my horn to get them to start moving.
Classy.  All around. :D

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2019, 02:45:36 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 31, 2019, 09:43:50 AM

Classy.  All around. :D
Lol I was just getting even with him.

RobbieL2415

Then put a cop there.  Or a temp light.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on August 30, 2019, 02:40:01 PM
I was once making a supplies delivery to the school district in Carmi (IL), here.  While I was making my delivery, it came time for the school buses to line up.  Apparently, it was usual practice to line all the buses up on this block, two buses wide, then load all the kids on.  They told me the buses would be lining up soon, but I was legally parallel-parked, so I wasn't too concerned.  When they told me I'd better hurry up, I told them it was a public street without any parking restriction signs.  But I proceeded outside, did some re-stacking and re-strapping in the back of the truck to make sure my load was still secure, and left.

Next day, my boss said they had complained about my behavior, saying I didn't care about blocking the buses and taking my sweet time in the back of the truck before leaving.  I told them my attitude should probably have been better, but that there's nothing actually wrong with being parallel-parked on a public street.  I see in the GSV shot I linked to above that there's now a parking restriction sign...

So, with something like this, you can look at it two ways: You can stand your ground, knowing the law and the MUTCD, or, you can be a dick.  You chose option number 2.

Maybe the neighborhood had a gentlemen's agreement that no one will park on the road during the afternoon dismissal.   Kids like and expect routine.  They are automatically going to go to where their bus normally is parked.  The school asked you nicely to move, figuring you weren't familiar with the routine.  Most drivers are just going to go to their truck and move it.  You decided to make an issue about it.

Now, you know you can park there.  But, that doesn't mean that it's the only law on the books.  The school easily could've had a cop go out there since you wanted to be a troublemaker and take a look at your vehicle.  Too far from the curb?  Ticket.  Headlights not level?  Ticket.  Was it a commercial vehicle?  Guess what - you can leave the truck right there as they'll call in for a random truck inspection.  You may know about that MUTCD, but do you know the voluminous trucker's regulation book?  They'll make your life a living hell.

You finally left, as you said.  And the school made a phone call to your boss.  Does he really want to deal with something like this?  Do you think if you talked about the MUTCD he'd sit back and say "Hey, tell me more?".  No...I'm sure he didn't want to deal with crap like that.  The school buys supplies from the company.  The company wants to keep that contract.  Drivers are a dime a dozen.   And I'm sure Illinois is a state where an employer can fire you for any reason.  So you can claim you had the legal right to park there.  The boss has the legal right to fire you.  Guess who ultimately wins that one.

Or a judge.  We have hundreds of pages on these forums of signs not using the proper font.  I'm pretty sure I've yet to hear anyone try to tell a judge the speed limit or restriction isn't valid because it used a different font.

Quote from: Brandon on August 30, 2019, 04:23:16 PM
It depends on who installed the signage.  If it is a municipal street and the signage was installed by the school, then it may not be enforceable at all.

It's really not that hard to look up.

http://sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=832&chapter_id=58926#s1190855

And I know...we all read on the internet that if you get a ticket, that we should all immediately cry that the stupid town has no idea what they're doing and the sign probably ain't legal.  And sure, we'll find a few stories of someone being successful.  And we don't know if this actual code existed back in the day for this street.  But the reality is these towns are well versed in how to make something legally enforceable.  In this case, the law actually allows for a longer time than posted.  If it was between 3:30pm and 4pm, then kp has a leg to stand on.  Otherwise, if this happened today, he's screwed.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 31, 2019, 08:51:43 PMSo, with something like this, you can look at it two ways: You can stand your ground, knowing the law and the MUTCD, or, you can be a dick.  You chose option number 2.

I don't think we know enough to say Kphoger didn't stand his ground.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 31, 2019, 08:51:43 PMMaybe the neighborhood had a gentlemen's agreement that no one will park on the road during the afternoon dismissal.

They might very well have had one, but relying on it is not fair to stranger drivers or, ultimately, to the kids, which I suspect is part of the reason they eventually enacted a no-parking restriction that they have yet to sign properly (see below).

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 31, 2019, 08:51:43 PMKids like and expect routine.  They are automatically going to go to where their bus normally is parked.  The school asked you nicely to move, figuring you weren't familiar with the routine.  Most drivers are just going to go to their truck and move it.  You decided to make an issue about it.

We don't know that they actually asked nicely.  I can see how this situation developed in a way that led the driver of the legally parked vehicle to think bullies had to be stood up to.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 31, 2019, 08:51:43 PMYou finally left, as you said.  And the school made a phone call to your boss.  Does he really want to deal with something like this?  Do you think if you talked about the MUTCD he'd sit back and say "Hey, tell me more?".  No...I'm sure he didn't want to deal with crap like that.  The school buys supplies from the company.  The company wants to keep that contract.  Drivers are a dime a dozen.   And I'm sure Illinois is a state where an employer can fire you for any reason.  So you can claim you had the legal right to park there.  The boss has the legal right to fire you.  Guess who ultimately wins that one.

Recruiting a replacement costs.  Also, Kphoger didn't actually say (at least in his original post) that he was driving for a private-sector supplier.  Illinois is an at-will state, but Kphoger could have been working for a public-sector organization (such as a consolidated purchasing body) with enhanced protections against termination.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 31, 2019, 08:51:43 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on August 30, 2019, 03:20:00 PMIt is not legally enforceable since it does not use the FHWA alphabet series.

Or a judge.  We have hundreds of pages on these forums of signs not using the proper font.  I'm pretty sure I've yet to hear anyone try to tell a judge the speed limit or restriction isn't valid because it used a different font.

There is a well-known case of a ticket being thrown out because the sign said "Stoping" instead of "Stopping."  I personally would not hesitate to mention a nonconforming typeface to the officer, and to the prosecutor if the officer decided he still had to issue the citation.  Telling it to the judge becomes a matter of assessing whether the court fees are well spent.  For a person with no warrants and a (mostly) clean record, it is uneconomic to spend $100 in nonrefundable court costs to overturn a $30 parking ticket, even with near-100% certainty of prevailing in court.

As for the MUTCD, the relevant parts of § 2A.13 that require the use of the FHWA series on signs are bolded (Standard) text.  Illinois has adopted the MUTCD with a supplement that leaves § 2A.13 untouched.  While getting a ticket thrown out for failure to use the correct typeface(s) amounts to getting off on a technicality, the onus is still on those who wish to regulate to ensure that they do so with proper form.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 31, 2019, 08:51:43 PMIt's really not that hard to look up.

http://sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=832&chapter_id=58926#s1190855

And I know...we all read on the internet that if you get a ticket, that we should all immediately cry that the stupid town has no idea what they're doing and the sign probably ain't legal.  And sure, we'll find a few stories of someone being successful.  And we don't know if this actual code existed back in the day for this street.  But the reality is these towns are well versed in how to make something legally enforceable.  In this case, the law actually allows for a longer time than posted.  If it was between 3:30pm and 4pm, then kp has a leg to stand on.  Otherwise, if this happened today, he's screwed.

You are right--it is not that hard to look up.  The current restriction on Jessup Street is part of Ordinance 1494, which the Carmi city council voted to adopt on December 1, 2015, many years after Kphoger left Illinois.

http://www.cityofcarmi.org/minutes-city-council-meeting-of-december-1st-2015/

Part of the motivation for restricting parking on Jessup was increased congestion due to moving Pre-K to that school building.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 31, 2019, 06:38:11 PM

Then put a cop there.  Or a temp light.
Works well as is.

wanderer2575

People who, at a red light, stop beyond the stop bar and block the crosswalk.

People who, after having stopped for a red light, keep inching forward little by little while the light is still red.  Yeah, you're really getting places, buddy.

People who slow down to gawk at accidents.  It's not there for your amusement; move it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.