News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

San Juan Bautista black on white sign

Started by Mikeroburst, August 11, 2010, 03:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeroburst

On my way to Fremont Peak this past weekend I came across this- a division of highways black-on-white sign in San Juan Bautista.

Does anyone know how to decipher the date stamp on the back of the sign? I assume the Z somehow decodes to the year and the 5 is the district number, but beyond that I have no idea.

Mike

Scott5114

Ooo, great find. :nod: I'm sure Jake will be along shortly to deliver a term paper on the significance of this sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Z is indeed a date code.  1957.  A is 1934, B is 1935, etc.  I and O are skipped due to their resemblance to digits 1 and 0.

5 is the district, D means a directional or distance sign, and then the serial number comes after that.

1957 is the first year that signs were made without the Division of Highways logo - the logo was taken off around March, 1957.  The crossbar that separates destinations in different directions was added in 1955 or 1956.  In 1958, the white porcelain signs were changed to green ones with white retroreflective legend.

in the general area of this white guide sign was the last known California/US porcelain cutout shield, as late as 2001!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.