News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where was this?(From a classic road trip)

Started by CapeCodder, December 30, 2013, 04:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

I went on a road trip in the summer of 1995 with my grandparents. We left St. Louis by taking the "Northern" route (70 east.).

It was  during the morning of our 3rd day out of STL on our way to West Point that I remember us coming down a hill, crossing either a brook or a pond of some sort with some stone buildings on the other side of the waterway, there were also a few low stone fences separating fields.

I'm thinking it's in Westchester County, NY but it could also be in Rockland or Orange County. My grandfather thinks it's over by New London, CT. It could even be NNJ.

Sorry for the rambling post, but it's been wracking my brain.

Alps

That's pretty generic, unfortunately. The best route to West Point would never pass any of those things - I-80 to I-287 (it was open by then), Palisades Interstate Parkway north to US 9W. If you were using an old map and didn't have I-287 complete, you may have taken NJ 94 to NY 94 across, and your scene could well have been on that route. I don't know what other diversions you may have taken,

CapeCodder

Quote from: Steve on December 30, 2013, 06:36:28 PM
That's pretty generic, unfortunately. The best route to West Point would never pass any of those things - I-80 to I-287 (it was open by then), Palisades Interstate Parkway north to US 9W. If you were using an old map and didn't have I-287 complete, you may have taken NJ 94 to NY 94 across, and your scene could well have been on that route. I don't know what other diversions you may have taken,

I was 7 years old at the time. I've been going over Google Maps in that area, especially around Saugerties Creek. Now that I think of it, it could've also been in Penna. We discussed it last night and its wracking our brains like I've mentioned. My grandmother is the "odd man out." She thinks it could've been in West Virginia. My grandfather likes to go off of the beaten path.

Alps

Quote from: CapeCodder on December 30, 2013, 10:00:11 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 30, 2013, 06:36:28 PM

I was 7 years old at the time. I've been going over Google Maps in that area, especially around Saugerties Creek. Now that I think of it, it could've also been in Penna. We discussed it last night and its wracking our brains like I've mentioned. My grandmother is the "odd man out." She thinks it could've been in West Virginia. My grandfather likes to go off of the beaten path.
I've seen a lot of similar scenes in NNJ, which is why I point to 94 as a possibility. Some of the county routes in NWNJ like 519, 521, and connecting 600s also have similar scenes, perhaps even moreso than in NY. I wouldn't put you on US 6 in PA but a few of the state highways there might also fit.

CapeCodder

I remember the itinerary.

Leg 1:

70 to PA. I-76 (PA Turnpike) @ Breezewood to 81 in Harrisburg.

Leg 2:
81 to 84 in Scranton(?)
84 to 17M
17M to 6
6 to PIP
PIP to 9W
9W to West Point.

Leg 3:

9W to PIP
PIP to 287/87
287/87 to 95
95 to Mystic.

Leg 4:

95 to 195 @ Providence
195 to New Bedford
195 to 495/25
25 to Bourne Bridge
BB to 6A
6A to 6
6 to 132
132 to HYA Airport
132 to 6
6 to somewhere in Bourne

Leg 5:
Somewhere in Bourne to MA 130
MA 130 to 6
6 to Sagamore Bridge
SB to 3
3 to US 44 @ Plymouth
Plimoth Plantation.
3 to SB
SB to 6
6 to 132
132 to KHYA for a flight home with my mother. That ended my portion of the trip.

Alps

bugo

It took 3 days to get from Missouri to Massachusetts?  That's a straight shot for me.

CapeCodder

Quote from: bugo on January 01, 2014, 12:01:18 PM
It took 3 days to get from Missouri to Massachusetts?  That's a straight shot for me.

My grandfather likes to go off the beaten path. It's a straight shot, but once you get to NYS and the rest of New England, the trip slows down.

CapeCodder

It was near West Point. To the southwest of it in that area, My grandfather unfortunately passed away last July, so I can't talk to him about it. Still is wracking my brain.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.