News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4897

Looks like northbound DE 1 traffic has been shifted over to the north side frontage road through Little Heaven.  Here's a screengrab from the traffic camera conveniently placed next to the temporary alignment:
👉😎👉

ixnay

The Cape Gazette praises the attention DelDOT is finally heaping on that region...

http://www.capegazette.com/article/deldot-shows-commitment-cape-region/152312

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ixnay

Ground has been broken on DE 1's newest interchange (at DE 14 on the Milford bypass).

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/deldot-breaks-ground-on-milford-overpass/

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

seicer

With the interchanges coming in - why are right-in and right-out movements permitted? Shouldn't these be eliminated in favor of a full freeway?

Alps

Quote from: seicer on March 27, 2018, 10:44:38 PM
With the interchanges coming in - why are right-in and right-out movements permitted? Shouldn't these be eliminated in favor of a full freeway?
Yeeeeeeah. But the cost of doing so may outweigh the benefit, so you end up with NY Parkway-style median closures instead. It's still technically a freeway, just not up to standards.

seicer

I'm thinking that in this case, with the DE 14 interchange being right next to a right-in and right-out for a frontage road that's served by the interchange immediately next to it, why not close it? Going further south, I could see that - considering that DE 1 will never be a full freeway towards Maryland.

Alps

Quote from: seicer on March 27, 2018, 11:19:33 PM
I'm thinking that in this case, with the DE 14 interchange being right next to a right-in and right-out for a frontage road that's served by the interchange immediately next to it, why not close it? Going further south, I could see that - considering that DE 1 will never be a full freeway towards Maryland.
I was answering more in general, since there are other RIROs south of Dover.

froggie

Most (if not all) of the interchange projects along DE 1 over the past 15 years have been for the purpose of corridor preservation...enabling it to retain its function by eliminating existing traffic signals and negating the need for new signals.  They were not intended for freeway conversion.  Nothing I have seen from DelDOT suggests that they're looking at future freeway conversion.

It should be noted that the RIRO in question (next to Royal Farms) is actually going to be part of the interchange.  While called the "DE 14 interchange" by some, the actual location of the overpass will be at the next downstream intersection.  The  existing DE 14 intersection will become a RIRO for local access.

MASTERNC

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 20, 2017, 09:53:44 AM
Was heading south from Wilmington last night on I-95 and noticed new APL signs for I-295 North.  The interesting thing is they have now assigned an exit number (5C) to I-295 going southbound, whereas there was no exit number previously.  However, it has yet to be signed (if it will be) on I-95 North.  Also unknown is if the I-495 exit will receive an exit number.  Going south from PA, the I-495 split does have an exit number (Exit 11) on I-95, though that is the same exit number as Naamans Road (which shares the I-495 ramp southbound but has its own ramp northbound).

Noticed going south on I-495, the exit for I-295 is now labeled as Exit 0.

Alex4897

Quote from: froggie on March 28, 2018, 05:15:38 PMIt should be noted that the RIRO in question (next to Royal Farms) is actually going to be part of the interchange.  While called the "DE 14 interchange" by some, the actual location of the overpass will be at the next downstream intersection.  The  existing DE 14 intersection will become a RIRO for local access.

DE 14 uses NE Front St which is where the overpass is being placed.  The RIRO conversion is at NE 10th St.
👉😎👉

froggie

That's what I get for going off memory....had them swapped.

That said, the high school is right off NE 10th which may partly explain why the RIRO is being kept.

Alex4897

The Delaware Coast Line Railroad, spanning between Georgetown and Lewes, is now out of service east of DE 5.  From what I can tell this section of track serviced a lone pharmaceutical manufacturing facility by the entrance to Cape Henlopen.  The track removal will allow DelDOT to repurpose DE 1's overpass over the tracks for a future interchange with Minos Conaway Road and Nassau Road, as seen here:

News Release
Minos Conaway Interchange Project
👉😎👉

ixnay

http://www.capegazette.com/article/deldot-projects-concern-lewes-officials/153702

The Lewes city parents are concerned about the impact that the Minos Conaway Road project might have on New Road, which serves as a back way from Nassau and points north to UD's marine studies campus and the historic district.  I've used New Road quite a few times to get into old Lewes from points north where I live.

And this letter writer is concerned too.

http://www.capegazette.com/article/new-traffic-patterns-could-affect-lewes-traffic/154293

QuoteAs a longtime resident of New Road, I have a vested interest in seeing a thoughtful, balanced approach in managing the inevitable growth with the need for safe, flowing traffic.

With that in mind, I agree with the Lewes City Council concerning the likelihood of substantially increasing traffic on New Road. That scenario, along with the sale of the Groome land, will make the situation untenable.

ixnay

ixnay

A bill has been introduced (again) in Dover to give road workers hazard pay.

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/should-deldot-workers-get-hazard-pay/

QuoteSenate Bill 141 would add DelDOT employees who regularly work on roads to the list of state workers who qualify for extra pay on the basis of risky aspects of their job. Under the bill, about 650 employees would receive an extra $2,320 annually, and 350 would earn another $1,100.

Currently, the only state employees earning hazard duty pay are those who work in the state's prisons, psychiatric center or juvenile detention facilities.

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on April 14, 2018, 08:11:37 AM

QuoteSenate Bill 141 would add DelDOT employees who regularly work on roads to the list of state workers who qualify for extra pay on the basis of risky aspects of their job. Under the bill, about 650 employees would receive an extra $2,320 annually, and 350 would earn another $1,100.

ixnay

Motorists really don't think anything of it, passing by a person standing just a few feet away at 75 mph.  These same people, at home, will yell at someone they perceive going 25 mph in a 20 zone.

ixnay

DelDOT's newest road improvement project for the beach area is the widening of the upper part of DE 24 as it nears DE 1 coming from Millsboro.

http://www.capegazette.com/article/deldot-plans-widen-route-24/155293

And on May 1, work on the Rehoboth Ave. (DE 1A) and Savannah Rd. (Business U.S. 9) drawbridges will begin.

http://www.capegazette.com/article/bridge-repair-work-rehoboth-begin-may-1/153334

ixnay

Alex4897

DelDOT held a workshop for the upcoming DE 896 / US 40 interchange project the other day, here are the proposed alternatives:
(NOTE: The links to the alternatives on the project page are broken, I found the pdf files though and linked them below)

Alternative 1, Single Loop:

Alternative 2, SPUI:

Alternative 3, Echelon:

They also held a workshop last week for some upcoming improvements to the DE 2 / Red Mill Road intersection, but so far they haven't posted any of the alternatives online.
👉😎👉

Alps

Where's Alternative 4, Use Business 896?

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 14, 2018, 09:56:12 AM

ixnay

Motorists really don't think anything of it, passing by a person standing just a few feet away at 75 mph.  These same people, at home, will yell at someone they perceive going 25 mph in a 20 zone.

It's still dangerous and can be deadly.  Ask the family of this PennDOT foreman who was killed setting up flares on I-99 recently.

http://www.mcall.com/opinion/muschick/mc-opi-penndot-worker-killed-accident-construction-zone-20180221-story.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3652018/posts

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on May 03, 2018, 07:48:42 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 14, 2018, 09:56:12 AM

ixnay

It's still dangerous and can be deadly.  Ask the family of this PennDOT foreman who was killed setting up flares on I-99 recently.

http://www.mcall.com/opinion/muschick/mc-opi-penndot-worker-killed-accident-construction-zone-20180221-story.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3652018/posts

ixnay

That was my point.  Motorists don't think of the dangers they are posing to the workers.

seicer

And in one month since work has started, 3 motorists have died in the I-64 construction zone near Milton, West Virginia.

briantroutman

I generally think that "slow down"  PSAs are pretty ineffective, but the ones that the PTC has been using lately are reasonably thought-provoking, in my opinion. The ads, on billboards and banners in service plazas, show a stern-looking construction worker with a caption that reads something like "If you hit me at 55 MPH, you will break my bones. At 70, I will die."  It's a compelling counterargument for someone who might think... 55, 65, 75–what's the big difference?

But in my estimation, the PTC and other highway agencies undermine their efforts when they set the same low speed limits for nearly every work zone–seemingly without regard for the extent to which work is actively taking place or people are actually in danger.

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on May 03, 2018, 11:15:29 AMBut in my estimation, the PTC and other highway agencies undermine their efforts when they set the same low speed limits for nearly every work zone– seemingly without regard for the extent to which work is actively taking place or people are actually in danger.
^^This.  There have been many times I driven through a posted work zone with the lower speed limit and saw absolutely nothing in terms of barriers, barricades, vehicles, equipment and/or workers.  And no, there were no traces of blown-over tarps on the signs.

Such IMHO does create a Boy Who Cried "Wolf" scenario regarding Work Zones; but that's another topic for another thread.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

Quote from: briantroutman on May 03, 2018, 11:15:29 AM
I generally think that "slow down"  PSAs are pretty ineffective, but the ones that the PTC has been using lately are reasonably thought-provoking, in my opinion. The ads, on billboards and banners in service plazas, show a stern-looking construction worker with a caption that reads something like "If you hit me at 55 MPH, you will break my bones. At 70, I will die."  It's a compelling counterargument for someone who might think... 55, 65, 75–what's the big difference?

But in my estimation, the PTC and other highway agencies undermine their efforts when they set the same low speed limits for nearly every work zone–seemingly without regard for the extent to which work is actively taking place or people are actually in danger.

Is that really true?  There are plenty of fatal auto-ped crashes where cars go at speeds even lower than 55.  I would imagine a pedestrian safe speed would be around 20, or a higher number where you can at least slow down to 20 before impact.

MASTERNC

Quote from: briantroutman on May 03, 2018, 11:15:29 AM

Not to prolong an OT discussion, but I might have found two exceptions this year where widening was ongoing on the outside of the roadway but the speed limit remained 70

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.