Neon lane control signals

Started by Pink Jazz, February 08, 2016, 01:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdbx

Not lane control, but one of my favorite nearby signs, as you travel northbound onto the Golden Gate Bridge:

roadman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 08, 2016, 01:58:02 PM
I was wondering, does anyone have examples where neon tubing was used for lane control signals?  While in the past lane control signals were either incandescent or fiber optic and nowadays use LEDs, I would like to know of various examples where neon tubing was used.

The toll plazas in Puerto Rico did in fact use neon tubing for their lane control signals from 1996 to sometime around 2012/2013 when they were replaced by LED lane control signals.

IIRC, the lane control signals installed at the portals of the original (1959) Dewey Square Tunnel in Boston were neon tube.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.