News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traffic Signals exclusively for railroad crossings

Started by peterj920, September 12, 2016, 01:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Most of these seem pointless, as in why wouldn't they install a normal railroad crossing signal instead?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dgolub

There's one at the very beginning of Corlies Avenue (NJ 33) in Neptune, New Jersey.  See http://www.greaternyroads.info/roads/njstate/nj33.

mrsman

Quote from: kphoger on September 16, 2016, 06:06:39 PM
Most of these seem pointless, as in why wouldn't they install a normal railroad crossing signal instead?

It seems from the video that was posted earlier that one of the features of the traffic light was also to make sure that the intersection was kept clear so that traffic would no back up into the railroad crossing.  This seems particularly true if a roundabout is nearby.

In some areas, I see a lot of people not properly respect the R/R crossing signals, even to the point of driving around gates that are closing.  Perhaps a normal traffic signal would give people more warning of the need to stop.

Another idea is that perhaps the traffic signal can be used as a way to make a R/R crossing exempt (from school buses and truck from having to stop before the crossing). 

In many ways, they do seem pointless.  But if there are marked increases in safety, why not have the extra signal.

vdeane

That last idea might be it.  Many of the ones in NY are on freeways, or at least more major roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

drrosenrosen

mrsman

I agree. There seems to be no need for this as the regular RR crossing signals seem fine.

Is there any data out there justifying these?  Do drivers respect RYG signals more than the flashing RR signals?

US 89

Now that we've bumped this, here are a couple from the Salt Lake area, on 2200 West (also featuring RYG signals for the trains themselves) and 500 West (featuring 3M PV signals for the southbound approach). Both are small industrial spurs.

OracleUsr

Side roads intersecting Market St. in Greensboro used to along the tracks on the west side of town; I don't know if it still does, but Meadowood Rd. had one.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on June 02, 2019, 04:33:29 PM

I agree. There seems to be no need for this as the regular RR crossing signals seem fine.

Is there any data out there justifying these?  Do drivers respect RYG signals more than the flashing RR signals?

Personal observation: Yes.

When people approach a train signal that's flashing, they slow down, look, and if they think they can beat the train they go.  At a traffic light, when the light turns red, people just stop and stay stopped until the light turns green, no matter how long and pointless the light may be.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2019, 07:26:42 AM
Quote from: mrsman on June 02, 2019, 04:33:29 PM

Personal observation: Yes.

When people approach a train signal that's flashing, they slow down, look, and if they think they can beat the train they go.  At a traffic light, when the light turns red, people just stop and stay stopped until the light turns green, no matter how long and pointless the light may be.

Haha, no. I suspect you've never lived near a truly long and/or pointless light–red light jumping absolutely gets worse the more inconvenient people think the signal is.

ErmineNotyours

Where the Arbutus Railway crossed Broadway in Vancouver, BC, the crossing was controlled by regular traffic lights. Street View.  It's since been turned into a trail with a crosswalk signal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.