News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dead End vs. No Outlet

Started by roadman65, March 13, 2018, 04:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on February 08, 2019, 11:59:48 AM
So "dead end" means that the street will end without reaching any other street.

"No outlet" means that the street will branch out to other streets, but all of those streets will eventually lead to dead ends.

No.  As I've already explained. . .

Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2019, 09:34:30 PM

In the illustration above, the pink road could have a NO OUTLET sign, even though neither it nor any of the roads it connects to are dead-end streets.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

Section 2C.26 in the MUTCD:

"The DEAD END (W14-1) sign (see Figure 2C-5) may be used at the entrance of a single road or street that terminates in a dead end or cul-de-sac.  The NO OUTLET (W14-2) sign (see Figure 2C-5) may be used at the entrance to a road or road network from which there is no other exit."

Since it says "road or road network" for the NO OUTLET sign, either sign would be appropriate for a single roadway that terminates without any further junctions. But this is the ONLY application of a DEAD END sign, which would explain why NO OUTLET signs are more abundant in my experiences.

A road may have a NO OUTLET sign posted if it has junctions further ahead, but all of those junctions lead to either more dead ends or complete circuits that require you to pass by the sign in order to access anything else in the world.  It isn't entirely truthful to say that all junctions beyond the NO OUTLET sign lead to other dead-ends, because there may be some loops and circuits back there.  All a NO OUTLET sign says is that "you're gonna have to come back this way to get out."
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Flint1979

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 08, 2019, 01:36:03 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 08, 2019, 12:41:09 PM
Is there a reason Arcola Avenue is mentioned there? I see where Arcola Avenue is at and where this sign is at doesn't even lead to Arcola Avenue.

:eyebrow: Isn't that the point of the sign? You can't get to Arcola Avenue by the way marked with the sign.
Arcola Avenue doesn't even cross over there so there really is no point in the sign.

Flint1979

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 08, 2019, 04:02:04 PM
Section 2C.26 in the MUTCD:

"The DEAD END (W14-1) sign (see Figure 2C-5) may be used at the entrance of a single road or street that terminates in a dead end or cul-de-sac.  The NO OUTLET (W14-2) sign (see Figure 2C-5) may be used at the entrance to a road or road network from which there is no other exit."

Since it says "road or road network" for the NO OUTLET sign, either sign would be appropriate for a single roadway that terminates without any further junctions. But this is the ONLY application of a DEAD END sign, which would explain why NO OUTLET signs are more abundant in my experiences.

A road may have a NO OUTLET sign posted if it has junctions further ahead, but all of those junctions lead to either more dead ends or complete circuits that require you to pass by the sign in order to access anything else in the world.  It isn't entirely truthful to say that all junctions beyond the NO OUTLET sign lead to other dead-ends, because there may be some loops and circuits back there.  All a NO OUTLET sign says is that "you're gonna have to come back this way to get out."
You're pretty spot on.

kphoger

I agree.  I'm not sure why a driver would even need to know that street doesn't lead to Arcola.

That is to say, Arcola Avenue is...
not likely where you want to go
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on February 08, 2019, 04:41:01 PM
I agree.  I'm not sure why a driver would even need to know that street doesn't lead to Arcola.

That is to say, Arcola Avenue is...
not likely where you want to go
Right. Especially when Arcola ends at the street that you would be coming off of and doesn't even go through there.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 08, 2019, 04:45:43 PM
Right. Especially when Arcola ends at the street that you would be coming off of and doesn't even go through there.

I assumed that it might be the expectation of drivers who are not intimately familiar with the area.

1995hoo

Some streets in my area have "No Access to Route 1"  yellow warning signs posted. Example linked below. In this case, I think it's because maps make it look like you can connect through to Lockheed Boulevard and thence to Route 1 by using Bedrock Road, but that street is blocked by planter-like obstructions, I assume to stop speeding cut-through traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/9BtDWq8zAo62

In that case, this sign makes sense. There is another nearby place–see below–that has the same type of sign where it doesn't seem to make sense because it's never connected to Route 1 and never will, but I guess the idea is to say you'll have to come back to Telegraph Road if you go down there. (I don't know whether once upon a time it was planned to connect, but the map makes it look like it might have been proposed. I imagine froggie might know.)

https://goo.gl/maps/Uu1nQHJp7gG2
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 09, 2019, 11:36:16 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 08, 2019, 04:45:43 PM

I assumed that it might be the expectation of drivers who are not intimately familiar with the area.

To address the Arcola questions, since I brought it up and live nearby, I thought I would address the issue.

University Blvd westbound in this area generally moves pretty well, but slows down right in front of the high school.  A lot of University Blvd traffic makes the turn onto Arcola.  Many of these drivers may be encouraged to turn onto side streets to avoid congestion and make a short cut through residential neighborhood.  But it simply won't work because there is no connection and the sign warns you of that.

It is very common to be able to "cut the corner" by making a right, a left, and another right to avoid a congested intersection.  If the area is a normal grid, this is easily done (but if too many people do it, the neighbors won't like it and they will probably institute turn restrictions during rush hour).  But in the deep suburbs, it's sometimes physically impossible. 

And yes not everyone has a map or GPS or familiarity with the area.  So having a sign like this lets you know that you'll just have to sit through high school traffic because there is no shortcut to Arcola.

Flint1979

tolbs17

Some dead end signs are posted at the end of the street. But right now, they use red diamonds.

No outlet means it can connect to several streets, but no way out to a main road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.383843,-77.8646529,3a,15y,99.75h,87.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skWehgvvRFPsH-w-QbOrClg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So this connects to one street, and is a dead end and not a NO OUTLET sign?

Edit: it's just dirt, so no need to change the sign.

andrepoiy

In Ontario, we have just a "NO EXIT" sign for both situations.

MCRoads

In my neighborhood, we have both. Entering my subdivision you see a NO OUTLET sign, and a little further on, on the same road, there is a DEAD END sign, as the road ends in a Cul-De-Sac.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

roadfro

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 07, 2021, 09:02:29 PM
Some dead end signs are posted at the end of the street. But right now, they use red diamonds.

No outlet means it can connect to several streets, but no way out to a main road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.383843,-77.8646529,3a,15y,99.75h,87.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skWehgvvRFPsH-w-QbOrClg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The red diamonds are not "dead end" signs in the sense of the typical warning signs being discussed in this thread. They are object markers, and the red ones specifically are meant to mark the actual end of a roadway.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tolbs17

Quote from: roadfro on June 11, 2021, 11:36:01 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on June 07, 2021, 09:02:29 PM

The red diamonds are not "dead end" signs in the sense of the typical warning signs being discussed in this thread. They are object markers, and the red ones specifically are meant to mark the actual end of a roadway.
honestly, I did not know.

Big John

tolbs17

Quote from: Big John on June 23, 2021, 05:41:57 PM
^^ Contractor error?
I guess we will have to contact them.

GaryV

They probably had some blank road signs hanging around and thought, "These'll do."

roadfro

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.