News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

World's Tallest Flood Guage?

Started by Brian556, April 26, 2019, 11:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Rothman

See the flood levels of the Connecticut River marked on MA 47 near the Holyoke Range.  They look taller than this.

I'd imagine the Bay of Fundy area would have taller gauges as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Verlanka

TheHighwayMan3561

The former section of US 169/MN 101 between (also former) US 212 and downtown Shakopee through the Minnesota River valley had a pretty tall one if I recall. I couldn't remember seeing that gauge in years though, then the road was recently rebuilt and raised significantly.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on April 26, 2019, 11:26:49 PM
See the flood levels of the Connecticut River marked on MA 47 near the Holyoke Range.  They look taller than this.

I'm trying to remember, are those markers in Hadley from the 1938 hurricane, or the 1936 ice dam flood?

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 02, 2019, 01:45:58 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 26, 2019, 11:26:49 PM

I'm trying to remember, are those markers in Hadley from the 1938 hurricane, or the 1936 ice dam flood?
They are from about five different floods over the years, including the one I lived through in the 1980s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mark68

https://goo.gl/maps/A4eboKCfd99rKCnw6

Just in case there's a 1000-year flood on the Mojave River where it fills Soda & Silver Lakes much higher than their capacity will allow.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.