News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The poorest town in every state

Started by txstateends, August 13, 2018, 11:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on August 17, 2018, 07:30:18 AM
Wouldn't students be counted in their home town and not in their college town?
That's what I would have thought, but when the 2010 census happened I was required to fill out a form at college.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: vdeane on August 18, 2018, 11:08:45 PM
That's what I would have thought, but when the 2010 census happened I was required to fill out a form at college.

That doesn't mean that they will record you as a resident of that town.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on August 18, 2018, 11:18:05 PM

Actually, it does: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/03/15/college-students-count-in-the-census-but-where/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: vdeane on August 18, 2018, 11:34:27 PM
Actually, it does: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/03/15/college-students-count-in-the-census-but-where/

Not an official source, they waffle on which location to use, and they are inconclusive.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on August 18, 2018, 11:37:50 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 18, 2018, 11:34:27 PM

Not an official source, they waffle on which location to use, and they are inconclusive.
1. Information is information, but fine, I'm not letting you off the hook that easily: https://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2010/resid_rules/resid_rules.html
College students living away from their parental home while attending college in the U.S. (living either on-campus or off-campus) - Counted at the on-campus or off-campus residence where they live and sleep most of the time.

College students living away from their parental home while attending college in the U.S. (living either on-campus or off-campus) but staying at their parental home while on break or vacation - Counted at the on-campus or off-campus residence where they live and sleep most of the time.

U.S. college students living outside the U.S. while attending college outside the U.S. - Not counted in the census.

Foreign students living in the U.S. while attending college in the U.S. (living either on-campus or off-campus) - Counted at the on-campus or off-campus residence where they live and sleep most of the time.

2. I would think any data for this thread would be from the 2010 census, so I'm not sure why we would worry about what was done in the past.

3. No idea what's "inconclusive" about it.

Desert Man

I live in the SE corner of Cal., despite being an affluent state, you have a real large poor population in agricultural Imperial valley and rural Colorado River valley (Blythe and Needles) on the CA-AZ line. Imperial county itself has 7 incorporated towns, all are among the state's poorest and Calexico is literally on the Mexican border, the third or developing world is a step away if you're in their city center. And the "East" (Coachella) Valley is where over half the population earns $25k (annual average personal income) while the median is $50k, the town Coachella (pop: 50,000) itself is between farmland and golf resorts has a huge poverty problem, plus 25% of the town is Indian reservation land.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Desert Man on August 19, 2018, 09:07:39 PM
I live in the SE corner of Cal., despite being an affluent state, you have a real large poor population in agricultural Imperial valley and rural Colorado River valley (Blythe and Needles) on the CA-AZ line. Imperial county itself has 7 incorporated towns, all are among the state's poorest and Calexico is literally on the Mexican border, the third or developing world is a step away if you're in their city center. And the "East" (Coachella) Valley is where over half the population earns $25k (annual average personal income) while the median is $50k, the town Coachella (pop: 50,000) itself is between farmland and golf resorts has a huge poverty problem, plus 25% of the town is Indian reservation land.

Isn't El Centro usually up there too with poverty statistics?

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 19, 2018, 10:01:24 PM

It's right up there, but according to stats the real "poorest of the poor" in the region is the city of Imperial, on CA 86 between El Centro and Brawley. 

MikieTimT

Arkoma, OK is for all intents and purposes really in Arkansas.  There are only 2 roads connecting the town to Oklahoma at all, and it's wedged between the state line and the Poteau River otherwise.  Other than those 2 roads, all of the rest of the surface roads connect to the dumpy parts of Ft. Smith, so it's little wonder there isn't much in the way of income there, especially with all of the factories in Ft. Smith drying up and moving to Mexico.

mgk920

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 13, 2018, 01:35:07 PM
I have a hard time believing that Hamtramck is Michigan's poorest city. Benton Harbor or Highland Park would be my choice.

There are a few places in Da YooPee that could give either a run for that money, too.  I've always found that part of the state an incredibly scenic, but deeply depressing, place to go driving around in.

Whitewater, WI?  That's a nice small college town.  OTOH, there are many places in the northwoods and northwest part of the state that are beyond depressing to visit.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 17, 2018, 01:42:50 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 17, 2018, 10:44:15 AM
They got East Cleveland right.  The city doesn't even have enough money to maintain their traffic signals, let alone their streets, utilities,...
Indeed. East Cleveland is one of the biggest shitholes I have ever driven through.

What's the latest on the proposal to annex East Cleveland into the City of Cleveland?

:hmmm:

Mike

Road Hog

Likewise, I can think of a couple dozen Delta towns in Arkansas that are poorer than Camden.

ftballfan

I have a hard time believing that Hamtramck is Michigan's poorest city. Benton Harbor or Highland Park would be my choice.
Inkster probably isn't far behind (the state shut down its school district and divided the city in such a way that all the annexing districts could absorb the students without having to open a new school)

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on August 28, 2018, 09:40:39 PM
Inkster probably isn't far behind (the state shut down its school district and divided the city in such a way that all the annexing districts could absorb the students without having to open a new school)
Buena Vista had it's school district shutdown as well around the same time. Buena Vista is probably the poorest community in Saginaw County but the east side of Saginaw which borders it is in the same situation. I'm kind of surprised that Beecher still has a school district. I remember when that 6 year old girl was shot in Beecher, doesn't seem like it was 18 years ago.

SD Mapman

Quote from: DandyDan on August 14, 2018, 08:29:26 AM
Whatever the poorest city is in South Dakota,  it most likely isn't Vermillion, home of the University of South Dakota. I would bet on that one being Pine Ridge, or another city on an Indian Reservation. That's probably true for every state with a reservation.
Technically Pine Ridge isn't a city (it's unincorporated), but your point still stands (my vote would be Kadoka or White River or another "near-reservation" incorporated town).

Quote from: DandyDan on August 14, 2018, 08:29:26 AM
Lamoni, Iowa and Bemidji, Minnesota are also college towns and thus not drawing the short end of the income stick.
I wouldn't necessarily call Lamoni a college town; Graceland isn't much of a college. The numerous small liberal arts schools in that area from what I've seen haven't really improved the surrounding towns much if at all (e.g. Central Methodist in Fayette, MO).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Desert Man

Quote from: sparker on August 20, 2018, 03:49:27 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 19, 2018, 10:01:24 PM

It's right up there, but according to stats the real "poorest of the poor" in the region is the city of Imperial, on CA 86 between El Centro and Brawley. 

The unincorporated community of Heber between the cities of El Centro (Imperial county seat) and Calexico (on the border) is poorer than Imperial. The 3 smaller cities like Calipatria, Holtville and Westmoreland are just as poor. And Imperial is one of 5 rural counties in CA with the most poverty: Alpine, Inyo, Mono and Modoc (this one next to OR, all four next to NV). I give Trinity county a dishonorable mention, however it is within the state of CA.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.