News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 12, 2018, 09:42:41 AM
02W decided to became a Tropical Storm, and received the name Sanba. Gita is also nearly a Cat 5 on the Australian Scale...
Category 5 on the AU Scale now. Cat 4 on the SSHWS.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

CNGL-Leudimin

Notice the Australian scale has no "tropical storm" designation, instead using category 1 tropical cyclone already when a system reaches gale force. I refer to (AU) categories 1 and 2 together as "tropical storm", only changing to "tropical cyclone" once they reach category 3 (i.e. hurricane force). Now I think, the SSHWS doesn't have a "strong tropical storm" category like the rest of the World.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 14, 2018, 04:45:51 PM
Notice the Australian scale has no "tropical storm" designation, instead using category 1 tropical cyclone already when a system reaches gale force. I refer to (AU) categories 1 and 2 together as "tropical storm", only changing to "tropical cyclone" once they reach category 3 (i.e. hurricane force). Now I think, the SSHWS doesn't have a "strong tropical storm" category like the rest of the World.
I consider 60 mph to 73 mph as strong TS on my personal modified SSHWS. Only other changes: CAT 5 is 155-176. CAT 6: 177-199. CAT 7: 200+
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Interstate 69 Fan

CNGL-Leudimin

Still unnamed, ergo still a tropical depression (or "tropical low" as they call them in Oz), not interesting for me. FYI this is tropical low 17U.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CNGL-Leudimin

Now named: Tropical storm Kelvin. Add 273.15 and you have TS Celsius. If you then multiply by 1.8 and substract 32, you'll obtain TS Fahrenheit.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 17, 2018, 05:51:31 AM
Now named: Tropical storm Kelvin. Add 273.15 and you have TS Celsius. If you then multiply by 1.8 and substract 32, you'll obtain TS Fahrenheit.

And he did the impossible, intensifying to 90 mph over land!

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 23, 2018, 02:55:15 PM

TS Julia (2016) can relate to that for forming on land.

Running till I die.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 26, 2018, 02:21:12 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 23, 2018, 02:55:15 PM

TS Julia (2016) can relate to that for forming on land.
Bill (2015) survived as a TD over land for at least 36 hours.

Interstate 69 Fan

We could have the strongest storm (by pressure) ever recorded in the Southwest Indian this weekend, and next week. HWRF model predicting a 878!!! millibar storm. https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hwrf-p&region=94S&pkg=mslp_wind&runtime=2018022812&fh=6 That’s lower than any storm in 2017! GFS predicts 896 https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hwrf-p&region=94S&pkg=mslp_wind&runtime=2018022812&fh=6. If this verifies, oh my. Lowest ever was Gafilo with 895.

Edit: If HWRF-P model verifies, it’s the lowest in the S Hem on record, surpassing 2016’s Cyclone Winston with 885.

CNGL-Leudimin

Models usually go really crazy. I remember once GFS formed a tropical "anticyclone" that crossed the equator, and then bombed the same cyclone to 871 mbar. In the end Typhoon Tembin (a.k.a. Vinta in the Philippines) only reached category 1.

CNGL-Leudimin

Tropical Storm Dumazile now active. This is the one the HWRF predicted to be a 878 mbar storm (now it predicts a 911 mbar one, less insane).

BTW, this tweet is all wrong:
https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/969676159750303744

Tropical cyclones aren't named until they actually have a name and not just a serial number (Captain Obvious). Also, now that is named, Dumazile is not the 11th named storm of the Southern hemisphere, but the 12th, a byproduct of the JTWC missing the very first named storm of the season (Cempaka) and those blind people who don't look further.

Interstate 69 Fan

Interstate 69 Fan

And then Hola decides "I want to rapidly intensify too."

CNGL-Leudimin

It will be an oxymoron when Hola (Spanish for hello) dissipates or goes extratropical :sombrero:.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 07, 2018, 12:47:33 PM
It will be an oxymoron when Hola (Spanish for hello) dissipates or goes extratropical :sombrero:.

That's funny, never knew that. Cat 4 on the AU scale, yet JTWC is taking 50 years recognizing it as a Cat 2 on the SSHWS, still by them, only a minimal Cat 1 with 65 kt (75 mph)

CNGL-Leudimin

Fun fact: in 2015 there was a Cyclone Ola in the same area. In Spanish "Ola" is homophone with "Hola" (the H is always silent except when preceded by a C).

Interstate 69 Fan

CNGL-Leudimin

When it formed near the Australian coast I knew (it was already forecast anyway) Marcus would get to strenghten a bit once it moved away, just not to 140 mph (10 min).

Interstate 69 Fan

Finally got a weather radio for my birthday. (It's today)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on March 31, 2018, 06:51:59 PM
Finally got a weather radio for my birthday. (It's today)
Well then, happy birthday! I have a feeling you'll enjoy that

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Interstate 69 Fan

Will Isis ever die? It keeps regenerating.

CNGL-Leudimin

US 89

The names Harvey, Irma, Maria, and Nate were all retired from the Atlantic hurricane name list at the WMO meeting on Wednesday. The new names are Harold, Idalia, Margot, and Nigel.

Hurricane Rex

Welcome to the 2018 Pacific Hurricane Season. 1E dissipated 2 days ago now btw.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.