News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

For a long time now there have been barges poking about near the Tappan Zee Bridge, and from my understanding they were there as part of investigations in the process of developing a replacement plan.

Now there is a string of significantly more of them, working day and night, and I feel like I heard somewhere that they are actually doing preliminary work on the new bridge.  Any truth to this?

mtantillo

Could it also be part of the redecking project?  Yes, the old deck was that bad that it had to be replaced, even though the whole bridge is going to be dismantled soon. 

Duke87

It's for the new bridge. They started driving piles a couple weeks ago.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/16/residents-upset-by-construction-of-new-tappan-zee-bridge/
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Jessica Black

About time they began replacing the Tapan Zee Bridge. While visiting upstate New York last year, a friend who works at the DOT for New York told me, "I don't even use this bridge when I go to my sisters house. I'll take another bridge until they replace this unsafe bridge with one that is safe."

Pete from Boston

There's now a "New NY Bridge Outreach Center" on Main St. in Nyack.  Is this bridge supposed to get a new name?  "New NY Bridge" sounds a lot like "New [team] Stadium" before they get the naming rights sold.

vdeane

I presume it's to differentiate the new bridge from the current one.  It probably will officially have a new name with everyone still calling it the Tappan Zee.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on June 03, 2013, 06:31:18 AM
I presume it's to differentiate the new bridge from the current one.  It probably will officially have a new name with everyone still calling it the Tappan Zee.

There was talk about keeping the current bridge standing and converting it into a pedestrian/bicycle bridge, similar to the Walkway Over the Hudson except further south.  Does anyone know if they're planning to actually do this?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Duke87 on May 30, 2013, 08:57:12 PM
That likely explains the presence of two barge cranes I saw last Friday while en route to the Portsmouth, NH meet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on June 03, 2013, 06:31:18 AM

The existing bridge is already officially known as the "Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge", but aside from a couple of little signs at either end, the full name does not appear in the field anywhere.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 03, 2013, 08:27:25 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on May 30, 2013, 08:57:12 PM
That likely explains the presence of two barge cranes I saw last Friday while en route to the Portsmouth, NH meet.

I saw those on my way home, as well as what appeared to be some work on the western landing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

D-Dey65

I still think the replacement should get the name of the existing bridge.

mtantillo

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 05, 2013, 10:45:26 AM

I disagree.  The Tappan Zee Bridge name has been given a huge negative connotation due to the horrible state of the existing bridge and delays in getting the new one started.  A fresh name would give the bridge some nice new PR help.  Out of respect for Gov. Malcolm Wilson, though, his name should be appended onto whatever general name is chosen (or they could pull a NYC and just use the person's name with no general name....NYC area can have its own Wilson Bridge!). 

empirestate

Quote from: mtantillo on June 05, 2013, 11:03:09 AM

I disagree.  The Tappan Zee Bridge name has been given a huge negative connotation due to the horrible state of the existing bridge and delays in getting the new one started.  A fresh name would give the bridge some nice new PR help.  Out of respect for Gov. Malcolm Wilson, though, his name should be appended onto whatever general name is chosen (or they could pull a NYC and just use the person's name with no general name....NYC area can have its own Wilson Bridge!). 

Well, strictly speaking, the new bridge will also be the "Tappan Zee bridge" if not the "Tappan Zee Bridge". That is, it will be a bridge and it will span the Tappan Zee. So whatever it's officially named, it won't be incorrect to say "Tappan Zee bridge" either.

roadman65

I read someplace, that the Tappan Zee Bridge was built the way it was cause of steel rationalling back in the 1940s and 50s.  Also, that it was not planned to be a permanent structure, as engineers at the time thought it would be replaced with a more stronger and sound structure before the turn of the century.

I do not not know if that is true or not, but it could very well be as many bridges are much older than that crossing and are still standing with few problems.  I cannot remember where I saw the article, but if someone knows anything to this tale, please post what you know.  Meanwhile, I will continue my search and post the source as soon as I find it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM
For a long time now there have been barges poking about near the Tappan Zee Bridge, and from my understanding they were there as part of investigations in the process of developing a replacement plan.

Now there is a string of significantly more of them, working day and night, and I feel like I heard somewhere that they are actually doing preliminary work on the new bridge.  Any truth to this?

I crossed the Tappan Zee westbound this past Sunday, and there were at least four cranes on some sort of barges in the river to the north of the existing bridge. Looked to me like they might be doing excavation work for foundations for the  new bridge (I remember similar-looking activities in the  Potomac River just south of Washington, D.C. for the first new Woodrow Wilson Bridge span in about 2000 or 2001).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mtantillo on June 05, 2013, 11:03:09 AM

I disagree.  The TapDpan Zee Bridge name has been given a huge negative connotation due to the horrible state of the existing bridge and delays in getting the new one started.  A fresh name would give the bridge some nice new PR help.  Out of respect for Gov. Malcolm Wilson, though, his name should be appended onto whatever general name is chosen (or they could pull a NYC and just use the person's name with no general name....NYC area can have its own Wilson Bridge!).

Why not just call it 95 and see if people change their preference over 40 years?

I think what you said is what the marketing team thinks, but I don't sense any huge negative connotation down there.  This is not ValuJet we're talking about here.  It's sort of silly to rename a crossing because you want people to like it.  It will be a couple of generations before the new name takes over (anyone referenced the Koch Bridge lately?) and it causes confusion in the interim for wholly impractical ends. 

Call it what the users call it, and stop hiring planners with a desire to change people.

connroadgeek

Weird that we have to guess what's going on. Why can't our state/local governments just tell us? I mean, we get minute by minute tweets of what's happening at a Justin Bieber concert, but a new massive bridge going in? Nope, it's tippy top secret!

Pete from Boston

Probably because the design process has been controversial.  Quietly getting the ball rolling avoids further attention and possible negative publicity/slowdowns.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 06, 2013, 01:08:03 PM

Why not just call it 95 and see if people change their preference over 40 years?

Because 95 does not cross the Tappan Zee Bridge, maybe? (It's I-87/I-287.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

I think he was obscurely referencing 128.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on June 07, 2013, 10:54:00 PM

Yes, and the tendency of bureacrats to try to change what works for the public, usually with great annoyance and expense.

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on June 07, 2013, 10:54:00 PM

Ah. I don't follow that thread and so didn't get the joke until looking at it after seeing your reply here.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

I think everyone in NJ, upstate, and CT will still "cross the Tap" to get between those places regardless of its name. Kinda like the Triboro Bridge.

longhorn

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.