News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 18, 2021, 10:26:58 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 18, 2021, 09:43:48 PM
Agreed...but they might well have faded into their own parade...

Though I know that evening's empire has returned into sand

You know those lyrics better than I!

I do wonder if by 1966, Harry Sr. (who retired in 1965 - his son Harry Jr. was appointed to replace him in the U.S. Senate) realized that the end was near for his "Organization" (also known as the Byrd Machine), and the election of a liberal Republican,  A. Linwood Holton Jr. in 1969 was a dagger in the heart of the Organization.

In spite of all of the above, Harry Jr. served in the U.S. Senate until 1983 when he retired on his own terms.

I only knew the first line I cited...while looking it up to make sure I had it right, I noticed the second line I cited.

I am largely unfamiliar with the Byrd machine, having grown up in South Carolina.  The political patriarch I am more familiar with was Strom Thurmond, who was still somehow immensely popular in the late 1980s...

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 19, 2021, 07:38:19 AM

I do wonder if by 1966, Harry Sr. (who retired in 1965 - his son Harry Jr. was appointed to replace him in the U.S. Senate) realized that the end was near for his "Organization" (also known as the Byrd Machine), and the election of a liberal Republican,  A. Linwood Holton Jr. in 1969 was a dagger in the heart of the Organization.

In spite of all of the above, Harry Jr. served in the U.S. Senate until 1983 when he retired on his own terms.

I only knew the first line I cited...while looking it up to make sure I had it right, I noticed the second line I cited.

I am largely unfamiliar with the Byrd machine, having grown up in South Carolina.  The political patriarch I am more familiar with was Strom Thurmond, who was still somehow immensely popular in the late 1980s...
Seemed to me half of SC is named after Thurmond when I was down there last month, not to mention the statue(s).

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 19, 2021, 08:30:55 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 19, 2021, 07:38:19 AM

Seemed to me half of SC is named after Thurmond when I was down there last month, not to mention the statue(s).

Similar to a different Byrd in another state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

The next CTB meeting is expected to discuss the fun but non-MUTCD-compliant changeable message sign messages across the state.

https://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2021/july/ctb_workshop_meeting_july_2021.pdf

Even though they're not MUTCD-compliant, it appears VDOT will likely continue doing them, as there is discrete data that shows people are more likely to get the messages they convey. It also helps that some of them have gone viral (particularly one that attracted the attention of Ludacris recently).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

QuoteEven though they're not MUTCD-compliant, it appears VDOT will likely continue doing them, as there is discrete data that shows people are more likely to get the messages they convey. It also helps that some of them have gone viral (particularly one that attracted the attention of Ludacris recently).

Honestly, that Ludacris one was hilarious.  It is definitely nice to get a laugh out of some of these messages even though they are serious.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 19, 2021, 01:09:53 PM
QuoteEven though they're not MUTCD-compliant, it appears VDOT will likely continue doing them, as there is discrete data that shows people are more likely to get the messages they convey. It also helps that some of them have gone viral (particularly one that attracted the attention of Ludacris recently).

Honestly, that Ludacris one was hilarious.  It is definitely nice to get a laugh out of some of these messages even though they are serious.

Yeah, I personally love them and I'm glad they're working.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

VTGoose

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 19, 2021, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 19, 2021, 01:09:53 PM

Yeah, I personally love them and I'm glad they're working.

WTVR in Richmond did a story about the messages and the Ludacris one that went viral:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/meet-the-team-behind-the-viral-ludacris-vdot-sign

It even mentions the research done here at Virginia Tech to help pick messages that get noticed.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

froggie

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 19, 2021, 12:57:41 PM
Even though they're not MUTCD-compliant,

Can someone point to where they have to be?

1995hoo

The next CTB meeting is expected to discuss the fun but non-MUTCD-compliant changeable message sign messages across the state.

https://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2021/july/ctb_workshop_meeting_july_2021.pdf

Even though they're not MUTCD-compliant, it appears VDOT will likely continue doing them, as there is discrete data that shows people are more likely to get the messages they convey. It also helps that some of them have gone viral (particularly one that attracted the attention of Ludacris recently).

Thanks for that link. I wonder what the heck "Ludacris" meant and why it was spelled that way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 20, 2021, 10:52:34 AM

Thanks for that link. I wonder what the heck "Ludacris" meant and why it was spelled that way.

Ludacris is a rapper and actor who has been in the Fast and the Furious movies.
Will Weaver

1995hoo

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 20, 2021, 12:14:01 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 20, 2021, 10:52:34 AM

Ludacris is a rapper and actor who has been in the Fast and the Furious movies.

Yeah, I got that from the .PDF, but I see I made a typo in my post and typed "wonder" when I meant "wondered." I guess if that's the worst typo I make this week, I'll be doing pretty well!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bluecountry

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 02, 2021, 09:06:22 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 30, 2021, 07:02:59 AM
I guess they've figured out that stopping the building of roads doesn't stop development and the only thing worse than sprawl with highways is sprawl without highways.
Do you hear that, Nassau and Suffolk Counties? How about you, Northwestern Hillsborough County?

I've seen a surprising increase in the acceptance of the need to build more roads in Northern Virginia, and believe it or not even parts of Washington D.C. When I traveled along I-695 in DC for the first time, I was glad they built it, but I got into a couple of traffic jams, and I realized it was too little, too late. The second time, I just flew right through it, as I was doing through the rest of DC that day, which was a huge surprise.
What do you mean Nassau and Suffolk counties, are you suggesting more interstates were supposed to be built?
As far as I know, the only missing roads were a few bridges/tunnels over the LIS.
While LI does have just I-495, it has many many limited access, grade separated parkways.
The big issue with the interstate is that it just is not big enough and should have been made with local/express.

bluecountry

Quote from: Jmiles32 on June 28, 2021, 05:02:22 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 28, 2021, 12:35:45 PM
https://twitter.com/VaDOTNOVA/status/1409548460127358980

This is a big deal as VA-7 is now a limited access freeway from VA-28 all the way to Round Hill and even further west without traffic lights to Berryville. Will be interesting to see now what the next transportation priority for Leesburg is: Widening the rest of Route 7 between Leesburg and Purcellville (including the Leesburg Bypass) to six lanes or constructing one (or both) of the Edwards Ferry Road and Battlefield Parkway interchanges on the US-15 part of the bypass. At the moment all of the projects are at least some what off the ground design wise.

It absolutely should be the Edwards Ferry and Battlefield Parkway interchanges.
I have heard nothing whatsoever about widening VA-7 in western Loudoun and I see no reason whatsoever.
Traffic while steady is free flowing.

Quote from: kernals12 on June 28, 2021, 09:17:07 PM
That new interchange I imagine is going to lead to a real estate boom in Western Loudoun and Clarke Counties.
Absolutely not.  You must not be familiar with the area.
1.  Loudoun has already had their major boom, and in fact the rate of growth is slowing.  Future growth will be heavily concentrated along the new silver line in eastern Loudoun.
2.  Western Loudoun already has had their boom, no interchange is going to change things and in fact the preservation movement there and in Clarke is very big.

Jmiles32

Quote from: bluecountry on July 25, 2021, 09:50:03 AM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on June 28, 2021, 05:02:22 PM

This is a big deal as VA-7 is now a limited access freeway from VA-28 all the way to Round Hill and even further west without traffic lights to Berryville. Will be interesting to see now what the next transportation priority for Leesburg is: Widening the rest of Route 7 between Leesburg and Purcellville (including the Leesburg Bypass) to six lanes or constructing one (or both) of the Edwards Ferry Road and Battlefield Parkway interchanges on the US-15 part of the bypass. At the moment all of the projects are at least some what off the ground design wise.

It absolutely should be the Edwards Ferry and Battlefield Parkway interchanges.
I have heard nothing whatsoever about widening VA-7 in western Loudoun and I see no reason whatsoever.
Traffic while steady is free flowing.

While I agree with you that the US-15 interchanges should take priority, you are wrong about VA-7. Between VA-9 and the Greenway VA-7 had an 2019 ADDT in between 60,000 to 70,000 (enough to warrant a 3rd lane IMO) with widening planned sometime by the end of the decade or sooner if Loudoun can get some more NVTA funding. In addition pre-COVID there were frequently backups/delays in the eastbound direction after the VA-9 interchange (in the AM) and westbound after the Greenway interchange (in the PM). Now west of VA-9 I agree that widening is not necessary as of now.

https://www.loudoun.gov/DocumentCenter/View/166016/FY-2022-Adopted-Budget---Volume-Two
https://loudounnow.com/2018/09/20/talks-begin-for-next-rt-7-widening-project/
QuoteThe county department of transportation Tuesday hosted a meeting on plans to add a third eastbound lane to Rt. 7 from Rt. 9 to the Dulles Greenway and a third westbound lane from the Dulles Greenway to West Market Street.

The areas are known for their daily rush-hour gridlock. Traffic studies have shown travel speeds as slow as 20 miles per hour, where the speed limit is 55 miles per hour.

According to Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure Preliminary Engineering Manager Jim Zeller, the county has no firm plans for that project yet. It will first need to take into account impacts at the four interchanges along that stretch of road: Rt. 9, West Market Street, South King Street and the Greenway. It will also access its policy for local access from Rt. 7 in that area, and determine whether bridges would have to be widened or replaced bridges or other structures removed.

Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

LM117

Work to widen US-58 between Vesta and Stuart is scheduled to begin in 2 months, with completion expected in late spring 2026.

https://martinsvillebulletin.com/news/local/vdot-ready-to-begin-u-s-58-expansion-over-lovers-leap-mountain/article_f068dbb2-f3c3-11eb-8c0b-af349bf28f8b.html
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

plain

Over 4 years to widen an 8 mile stretch of non-freeway really shows how tough the terrain is there. Hats off to the contractors. I'm sure this isn't going to be the way VA did widening projects years ago.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mapmikey

Quote from: plain on August 03, 2021, 03:32:09 PM
Over 4 years to widen an 8 mile stretch of non-freeway really shows how tough the terrain is there. Hats off to the contractors. I'm sure this isn't going to be the way VA did widening projects years ago.

The central section looks like they may not do anything to the existing carriageway (graphic at that article shows widths of that roadway will vary, which suggests no improvements made).  A lot of this is on new terrain entirely and the new terrain part is the mountain itself, so lots of earth to move, I'm sure.

plain

For some reason I couldn't see the link earlier but now that I used a different browser, definitely on new right of way through the worst part. Indeed a lot more earthwork still than I originally thought.

seicer

https://www.virginiadot.org/Projects/Salem/asset_upload_file373_170418.pdf

Gotta love that Virginia can't be bothered to ever build out adequate shoulders on the older alignments or to match profiles. It's one thing if it's to appease some scenic aesthetic (of which I'd be in favor of 4' shoulders for both sides), but this is nothing more than cost savings. It can be pretty jarring on other sections of US 58, where it can be downright exciting to drive 55 MPH on some of the twistiest segments and lethargic on the rebuilt sections.

plain

While on I-64 east of Richmond yesterday I noticed SURVEY CREWS AHEAD construction signs planted between Exit 205 (VA 249) and Exit 211 (VA 106). Maybe a sign of widening on the horizon?

sprjus4

Those signs on I-64 have been there for probably at least 2 years now. As far as I'm aware, any future segments are still not funded.

plain

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 07, 2021, 01:44:49 PM
Those signs on I-64 have been there for probably at least 2 years now. As far as I'm aware, any future segments are still not funded.

I guess I never paid attention to them lmaoo or they added some more

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

plain

This is bound to piss people off. They're thinking about "15th View"ing the on ramps to I-64 EB at Mallory St and Settlers Landing Rd.

https://www.dailypress.com/news/transportation/dp-nw-hampton-vdot-metering-mallory-settlers-landing-20210812-tuidy655pvbl7nue6oqoqlumd4-story.html

Thing 342

Quote from: plain on August 12, 2021, 09:34:40 PM
This is bound to piss people off. They're thinking about "15th View"ing the on ramps to I-64 EB at Mallory St and Settlers Landing Rd.

https://www.dailypress.com/news/transportation/dp-nw-hampton-vdot-metering-mallory-settlers-landing-20210812-tuidy655pvbl7nue6oqoqlumd4-story.html
A terrible idea to anyone remotely familiar with Hampton traffic; this is gonna make life miserable for anyone who works at the VA, the University, or downtown and needs to commute to the Southside.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.